Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, looking for help with a problem on my 2006 Malibu with a 2.2. So I purchased the car with a bad engine and just finished replacing with a lower mileage one. I can not get the car to crank. The dash reads error, security light stays on, gears on dash do not illuminate and will not let me hook up my scanner to check for any codes. All lights and everything still work. Old engine did run and start fine. I have triple checked everything. Cleaned better connections, checked all grounds that I would have removed, did a security system reset and disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and nothing. I have jumped the solenoid and it turns over fine, just won’t fire. I appreciate any help on this!! I am stumped.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Not 100 % sure but things it may be.......

Did you use the ecm from the old motor? Is it from the same year/model ,etc?
I dont know if thos matters, is it drive by wire throttle? Did you use the old pedal. ... i think you are supposed tò keep them together with ecm

I would also contact gm if you dont get an answer....may be as simple as needing to get the ecm flashed....or....you definitely missed something

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,627 Posts
What did the used engine come from? I definitely think there could be an electronic compatibility issue.

Reactions: Darthz

· Registered
1 Posts
New here, looking for help with a problem on my 2006 Malibu with a 2.2. So I purchased the car with a bad engine and just finished replacing with a lower mileage one. I can not get the car to crank. The dash reads error, security light stays on, gears on dash do not illuminate and will not let me hook up my scanner to check for any codes. All lights and everything still work. Old engine did run and start fine. I have triple checked everything. Cleaned better connections, checked all grounds that I would have removed, did a security system reset and disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and nothing. I have jumped the solenoid and it turns over fine, just won’t fire. I appreciate any help on this!! I am stumped.
Its a security key issue reprogram the key it should start reguardless of which pcm you use should be passkey 3 or passlock2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.