Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
I feal your pain and you are not alone,
Makes me really hate these new cars even more (pretty hard to do). I actually used to love troubleshooting my cars..... untill this one.

I hear ya ....dont wanna just toss stuff at these things.......but i beleieve i would get that alternator tested.... o'reilys...or autozone do it for free i beleieve. But I like the sound of that crusty wore being replaced......

Will try and get the charging circuit diagram for ya...... but with how complicated crap is today.....i have no idea what else they have involved in voltage regulation or distrobution off hand....my self....but that doesnt mean much so... it could be somthing small

Make a signature..... with your car... year make and motor.....so peeps dont have to keep scrolling up to see what you have

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 3.5L 173,xxx mi
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, the parts diagrams are squirrely these days. Partially because they made the cars way more complex than the need to be, and partly because they are just bad at documentation. Ive worked with some of the biggest companies out there and let me tell you, there are WAY too many engineers that do NOT want their work documented...

I agree the new alternator could VERY easily be a dud. Just because it is the top of the line at Oreilly is roughly equivalent to saying my breaker bar is the absolute best available at Harbor Freight....

I was in a super tight pinch when the original alternator went out and grabbed this one. Well the one just replaced, and needed it NOW, or else I would have gone with AC Delco factory new. Honestly I can get a factory new one from Rockauto, and that may be what cures my ills eventually. Good thing I am working remote still...

·
Registered
942 Posts
But thanx to ISO 9001 and QS900 ( automotive standards) everything is well documented....... finding it is another thing

If I had an acount ...pulling diagrams would be easy.... i tried looking since my last post but cant find much other than this diagram i have here hased on a connection

I cant seem to post the link.... i tried to share it.....will try again

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So I haven't touched the car since Friday. Metered the battery this morning. After charging Friday 13.0v, this morning 13.0v. So no parasitic drain. Started the car and tested alternator output, 12.4v,so it cranks and runs on the battery, not alternator power.

The connector / pigtail for the alternator and the larger cable are on order from Amazon as Rockauto didn't have all the parts I needed. First time they were a bust.

So depending on delivery time tomorrow I will be swapping the crusty cables out. Then retesting, although I suspect the issue is the new alternator.

Again I was quite shocked when I dragged the pull out alternator to Oreilly that they didn't bench test it. They used to, now it was just simple swap over.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
But thanx to ISO 9001 and QS900 ( automotive standards) everything is well documented....... finding it is another thing

If I had an acount ...pulling diagrams would be easy.... i tried looking since my last post but cant find much other than this diagram i have here hased on a connection

I cant seem to post the link.... i tried to share it.....will try again

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hahaha, wish I had those when I was an auditor. They need a set of standards for quality and common sense, from design to end user

Sorry cant seem to git ya a diagram, possibly a cheap haynes manual would have it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I ordered the Haynes manual for this thing. Let's see how fast it gets here....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So signal connector replaced, double checked the B+ cable and found no flaws with it, which is good as the replacement from Amazon was WAY too short. Still getting 12.4v at the posts. Ripped the alternator back out, it's getting easier as I go on... although the 2 bolts on the back of the alternator are a real pain to get to. Need to drag it back to Oreilly. MAYBE they can test it for me... What a pain in the tail...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Alternator #2. 30 minutes run time so far, and it tested at 13.1v at as full a load as I can give it, High beams on, stereo on, flashers on, AC on full blast etc...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Went back out, cranked it up, got 12.4v again, but I through to have the OBD2 scanner in place now. Holy smokes something wierd is going on, or the entire electrical system just dumped on itself...

A LOT of these errors seem to point back tot he PCM...

P0455 Raw code 4121 Evaporative system leak.

C0899 Raw code 4899 Low voltage / regulator error. (2nd new alternator).

C0240 Raw code 4240 Powertrain Control Module.

B3006 Raw code B006. Hood switch / Hood ajar. Makes sense as the hood was open.

B1325 Raw code 9325. Control Power Module hi / low voltage.

B2525 Raw code A585. Left rear reverse lamp failure.

B3625 Raw code 265

B3950 Raw code B950 left rear turn / stop signal control circuit open / high resistance.

U2122 Raw code E122 TPS low voltage.

U2137 Raw code E137. Loss of communication with antitheft system.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,662 Posts
Do you live where there is a lot of humidity? If so, read the thread below; it might help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I live in Texas. So yes, I live in a HIGH humidity environment. Will check that post.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Checked the post, and that makes perfect sense. I am however, shockingly out of dielectric grease. Ordered a can on Amazon of the Delco stuff just to be 100% certain of compatibility. I know not likely any different but just want to be certain.

To be blunt, I sure do miss my old Baja Bug... I could fix whatever was wrong with it in my sleep... No computer to worry about, no mass of sensors, wiring nightmares and CTB...

Honestly, if GM would make a vehicle, preferrably a truck, as simple as the late 60s C/K trucks, I would be all over that. Although honeslty fuel injection is nice...

·
Registered
942 Posts
The voltage regulator is still a part of the alternator right? I am far behind on stuff so god only knows ....

With all them codes too..... dang could just be a whole new headache

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yes I believe the regulator is part of alternator still...

The behavior is odd for sure. It seems to work for about 10 minutes after reconnecting the battery, and then stops working.

The codes it is throwing, aside from the evap system leak which is a known issue I still need to fix, and some other recent symptoms such as central locking acting flaky etc... seem to coincide with the BCM bulletin linked in a prior post. I am attampting to follow up on that procedure, but my manual has not shown up yet, and I am unsure how to access the BCM or its connectors to apply the dielectric grease. The Ebay shipper labelled it 3 days ago but being as it is USPS, it shows not yet delivered to the post office.... Which tracking with USPS typically does for a week after the item gets delivered... Yay Postal Service!

·
Registered
942 Posts

Passenger side footwell..... pop cover off driveline tunel....no tool needed the blue plug is the one i did .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
View attachment 71321
Passenger side footwell..... pop cover off driveline tunel....no tool needed the blue plug is the one i did .
Okay LOTS of tiny pins. How did you get sufficient Dielectric grease on them to be effective? What's the procedure here?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Put in on the female side...and wad it in with a tiny brush that used used in the aforementioned article

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Contact cleaner / lube spray is garage stock for me. DeOxit is the brand I use. I save dielectric grease for spark plugs and bulb sockets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After pulling plug once, and reinserting I get the following codes. 3:37 P.M. yesterday.

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Chevrolet
VIN: 1G1ZT53826F125822

============1==============
C0121
Raw code: 4121
ECU: ABS/EBCM/ESC
Chevrolet: Valve relay circuit malfunction
General Electrical Failures [0x00]
============2==============
C0899
Raw code: 4899
Chevrolet: Device #1 voltage low
============3==============
C0240
Raw code: 4240
Chevrolet: PCM traction control not allowed
============4==============
B3006
Raw code: B006
ECU: EHU (Entertainment Head Unit)
Status: DTC supported by calibration, Current DTC, History DTC
Chevrolet: Hood ajar circuit malfunction; Hood Ajar Circuit Short to Battery; Hood Ajar Circuit Short to Ground; Hood Ajar Circuit Open
General Electrical Failures: short to battery [0x01]
============5==============
B1325
Raw code: 9325
Chevrolet: Device power #1 (low current #1) circuit malfunction
General Electrical Failures: voltage below threshold [0x03]
============6==============
B2585
Raw code: A585
Chevrolet: Parklamp control circuit malfunction; Left Park Lamps Control Circuit Short to Battery; Left Park Lamps Control Circuit Short to Ground; Park Lamps Control Circuit Open
General Electrical Failures: short to ground or open [0x06]
============7==============
B3265
Raw code: B265
Chevrolet: Trunk release output circuit malfunction; Luggage Compartment Lid Release Output Circuit Short to Battery; Luggage Compartment Lid Opening Circuit Short to Ground; Luggage Compartment Lid Release Output Circuit Open
============8==============
B3950
Raw code: B950
Chevrolet: Left Rear Turn Signal Circuit Short to Ground; Left Rear Turn Signal Circuit Open; Left Rear Indicator Circuit Short to Battery
General Electrical Failures: short to battery or open [0x05]
============9==============
U2122
Raw code: E122
Chevrolet: Lost communications with Entertainment/Audio Control (Radio) System
============10==============
U2137
Raw code: E137
Chevrolet: Lost communications with Security Control (VTD) System

Pull battery lead, pull, reinstert 24x just to be sure. No dielectric grease yet...

This was today @ 1:15 P.M.

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Chevrolet

============1==============
C0121
Raw code: 4121
Chevrolet: Valve relay circuit malfunction
============2==============
C0899
Raw code: 4899
Chevrolet: Device #1 voltage low
============3==============
C0240
Raw code: 4240
Chevrolet: PCM traction control not allowed
============4==============
B3006
Raw code: B006
Status: DTC supported by calibration, Current DTC, History DTC
Chevrolet: Hood ajar circuit malfunction; Hood Ajar Circuit Short to Battery; Hood Ajar Circuit Short to Ground; Hood Ajar Circuit Open
General Electrical Failures: short to battery [0x01]
============5==============
B0685
Raw code: 8685
Chevrolet: Security system indicator circuit malfunction
============6==============
B1325
Raw code: 9325
Chevrolet: Device power #1 (low current #1) circuit malfunction
General Electrical Failures: voltage below threshold [0x03]
============7==============
B1441
Raw code: 9441
Chevrolet: Device ignition OFF/RUN/CRANK circuit malfunction
============8==============
B2555
Raw code: A555
Chevrolet: Passenger compartment lamp control circuit malfunction
============9==============
B2575
Raw code: A575
Chevrolet: Left Headlamp Control Circuit Malfunction; Left Headlamp Control Circuit Open; Headlamps Control Circuit Short to Battery; Headlamps Control Circuit Short to Ground
============10==============
B2585
Raw code: A585
Chevrolet: Parklamp control circuit malfunction; Left Park Lamps Control Circuit Short to Battery; Left Park Lamps Control Circuit Short to Ground; Park Lamps Control Circuit Open
============11==============
B2645
Raw code: A645
Chevrolet: Ambient light sensor circuit malfunction; Ambient Light Sensor Circuit Below Threshold; Ambient Light Sensor Circuit Above Threshold
============12==============
B3265
Raw code: B265
Chevrolet: Trunk release output circuit malfunction; Luggage Compartment Lid Release Output Circuit Short to Battery; Luggage Compartment Lid Opening Circuit Short to Ground; Luggage Compartment Lid Release Output Circuit Open
============13==============
B3950
Raw code: B950
Status: DTC supported by calibration, History DTC, Test not passed since current power up
Chevrolet: Left Rear Turn Signal Circuit Short to Ground; Left Rear Turn Signal Circuit Open; Left Rear Indicator Circuit Short to Battery
============14==============
C0277
Raw code: 4277
Chevrolet: Brake Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage/Open; Brake Pedal Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage; Brake Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Too Fast Transitions; Brake Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Calibration Not Learned
============15==============
U2108
Raw code: E108
Chevrolet: CAN data bus, ABS system - no communication
============16==============
U2109
Raw code: E109
Chevrolet: Lost communications with Powertrain Multiple Control System
============17==============
U2111
Raw code: E111
Chevrolet: Lost communications with Steering Control System
============18==============
U2116
Raw code: E116
Chevrolet: Lost communications with Driver Information & Displays Control (IPC) System

Battery full charged, initial reading of 13.0v, Reading after 5 minutes of run time / testing 12.6v and the positive terminal on the battery was HOT.

I am about to copy / paste this into a Word Document so I can compare the results side by side...

21 - 40 of 72 Posts