Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
System may need to ''learn'' it's shifting patterns after the PCM replacement. That can happen after a battery disconnect also.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 3.5L 173,xxx mi
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
MAP sensor replaced, yeah the old one came out in pieces. Luckily it was OUTSIDE of the manifold.

I am clear of all codes at this point with the exception of the hood ajar code. Need to tear the cover off and get to the latch asembly and figure that switch out...

Shifting is still not right, but it is not slamming into and between gears now...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Road tested the car after doing the MAP sensor replacement and ended up with an unexpected result. It shifts like it should now.

I never would have suspected a MAP sensor being that tied to transmission shift points. I guess it makes sense when you consider the old school automatics had the vacuum kick downs and all... Still how weird...

I am planning, even if it isn't bonked, on replacing the Body Control Module as well. No codes are being thrown, but the door locks and trunk release are still wonky. Wouldn't necessarily hurt to eliminate this as the source of the problem after what the ECM did to me.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,662 Posts
I doubt the BCM needs replaced. The lock motors are more likely to have worn out or gotten weak rather than the BCM.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Door latch's are a known and common issue. I've replaced a few in my and families cars. Change them now before you have to fight to open a door, they only get worse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Door latch's are a known and common issue. I've replaced a few in my and families cars. Change them now before you have to fight to open a door, they only get worse.
Okay so the symptoms are, hit the lock / unlock button. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. HOWEVER, shift into gear, all doors lock, shift to park, all doors unlock every single time.

Button release on the trunk lid same thing, except doesn't work more often than not.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Just throwing darts at a board here with this guess......
Do all the door switches act wonky? If so i would look at where the input from the tranny is telling the locks to work and,
where the door lock switch signals kinda meet.... I am thinking a multiplug of sorts

I see why you may think bcm...... heck my bcm plugs was giving me fits on my brakelights staying on and kicking off my cruose control. I am wondering..... if you can have someone lightly fiddle with the bcm plugs..... or push them in ...... then try door locks..... does it improve ? If not ....possibly further down the line

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Yeah, all switches are wonky not just drivers door. Windows operate fine.... Oh and FWIW, power door locks / windows are not a new complaint for me. My parents had a 74 Couple DeVille that Dad bought new, he had fits with that thing with door locks that wouldn't work right until he dumped the car in '76 for a T-Bird. Different collection of problems there...

·
Registered
942 Posts
K, hopefully your new manual has the wiring diagrams for the switches. You will see a common wire ....or connection that connects all door locks . I am assuming there will be also another power connection....from the switches...... that shares this junction. ... I believe its where your fault lies. ....for the door locks

·
Administrator
19,662 Posts
Okay so the symptoms are, hit the lock / unlock button. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. HOWEVER, shift into gear, all doors lock, shift to park, all doors unlock every single time.

Button release on the trunk lid same thing, except doesn't work more often than not.
If the shifter tells the BCM to lock and unlock and they work perfectly, but the door buttons are wonky, then it's either the buttons or the wire from them to the BCM. To me, this removes the BCM as being suspect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
K, hopefully your new manual has the wiring diagrams for the switches. You will see a common wire ....or connection that connects all door locks . I am assuming there will be also another power connection....from the switches...... that shares this junction. ... I believe its where your fault lies. ....for the door locks
I am so glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when I read that...

Haynes manuals have NOT gotten better over the years. This Malibu with all its computer controlled glory is Space Shuttle Complex compared to my old 65 VW Transporter I had in High School. Oh BTW, bad idea to let a high school kid drive a hippie van, but I digress...

The Haynes manual for the old VW bus was easily twice as many pages as the manual for this Malibu, and the bus changed only minimally from 195 whatever it was when they started importing them, 55 I think, until 1967 which was the last year for the split window bus... The windows just slid, no roll up / down etc...

The wiring schemaitc exists, but does not fill me with confidence of its accuracy...

However, IF the wiring diagram is to believed, and that is questionable, the drivers door switch, which it makes sense, would go to some "logic" that sits between the switch, and the BCM, the BCM in turn sends signal to the door latches.

There is no mention of the trunk release in the wiring diagram that I can find... Go figure...

My thought process is, and I need to find how these are attached, how to R&R them, but pop the switch on the drivers door out, test at the switch. Seems most likely either dud switches, after all these years and miles, not counting how poorly the plastics are holding up this could be the case... If the switches pass, and I get constant signal hot, start tracing wires. Something I would rather avoid as this gets kind of involved, and knowing this car, fix one thing, break 3...

·
Administrator
19,662 Posts
If you're careful, you can disassemble the switches, service them with just about any tools to ensure good contact and proper spring pressure, then snap them back together.

I did both switches for a fella while we were at a laundromat.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts