Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get the pinch bolt at the bottom on the intermediate shaft to detach from the rack and pinion.. I have used a disc grinder and effectively separated the 2 parts of the pinch bolt, still wont move. Im replacing the rack and the int. shaft so I just need advice on getting it off the rack before I grind straight through the pinion, because it is getting a little frustrating.

Also, I think the videos showing how to do it are all either different models or bad angles/lighting, but the second photo I'm going to attach, I believe that is the top of 1 of the 2 mounting bolts. I wanted to also upload what I believe to be the bottom of that bolt just to double check.
The one in the bottom right on 2nd photo..
I will upload what I believe to be the bottom/head of that bolt a little later on.

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Isnt there a specialty tool for the electric steering on theese cars? Just guessing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isnt there a specialty tool for the electric steering on theese cars? Just guessing
well it probably wouldnt help with getting that particular pinch bolt to open up. my best idea so far is a wide wedge and hammer to force it open..
here is the bolt that seems to line up with the top of the bolt above. it is the one surrounded by and unfortunate amount of rust.
previous owner didnt take very good care of it.
guess I'll just use wire wheel and undercoat on that while I have the bolt out.. if that is the correct one?
I think it is also a mounting bolt.. very long, dual purpose?

thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet sweet victory..
the key was a thin disc on grinder and very carefully cutting the pinch bolt in half right in between where you see in first pic, then I just used a file because that was what fit, to crank it outwards a bit, plus a couple days of liquid wrench soaking, which became more effective after opening the tension by cutting the pinch bolt, I think.. but the real key here was discovering with limited space that if you put a long crowbar vertical after going behind the control arm if looking from the wheel hub on that side, if you have it in the air by like 1.5 feet or however high I had it on the jack stands, you have just enough room to put the end of a skinny crowbar on the edge of where the pinch bolt enters/exits the bottom end of the shaft and hit the bottom or neck of crowbar upwards with a hammer.. when I actually saw it budge, it was like a garage party. quite the bolt to get out if it is rusted in there. I thought what people said was an exaggeration.. I broke two 1/4 inch ratchets trying to use them with extensions and a pipe on handle like a breaker bar.. that was dumb.. then even when I did finally find a 3/8 11mm socket, it didnt work either. I mean I cranked on that thing.. had my impact socket smoking. glad it is finally over. hope this helps someone else. God bless.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
When it comes to working on rusty stuff it's a matter of brute force, fire, good tools and determination in any combination to get the desired results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.