Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 3.5L 173,xxx mi
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got the car used years ago, never got the remote fob for the car. Trunk always opened with the button on the door so never worried about it...

Well that quit doing its thing and I can't open the trunk. I had both back seat backs down but my wife had other ideas and put them back up.

I assume I need to figure out a way to get into the trunk and pull the emergency trunk relase, but once I get the trunk open, how do I proceed to troubleshoot and fix what could possibly be wrong here?

Button the door no longer works, nor does the key in the trunk lid. So I am stuck with a trunk that just won't open...

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,082 Posts
You'll likely need to replace the trunk latch motor itself.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
If you think the trunk unlock button is the problem. this video may help you. I had the trunk key/lock seize up a couple of times. Days of soaking with penetrating oil sprayed into the key hole might free it up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Funny.... i bought my 2006.... 90k on it key fob mever worked..... trunk key mever worked.... hopefully my butten doesnt die either.

Alll videos on pramming the fob do not work.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 3.5L 173,xxx mi
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny.... i bought my 2006.... 90k on it key fob mever worked..... trunk key mever worked.... hopefully my butten doesnt die either.

Alll videos on pramming the fob do not work.
I got my '06 with about 80K on the clock. It was an auction car my BIL picked up cheap. Been a great car but no fob, and like you my key never really worked in the trunk, I always relied on the button, which now doesn't work. I was hoping for some advice on how to troubleshoot the actual problem. Maybe it's just the button, maybe it's the solenoid / motor whatever that actually releases it, I have no clue. And I am unsure of how to troubleshoot the system. Googling the issue does nothing to solve the problem but it shows a TON of similar issues with the '09 / up Malibu trunks.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,082 Posts
I spaced out and forgot that from Gen6 to Gen7 they eliminated the trunk lock.

You can go to a locksmith and they can probably pick the trunk open and then update the lock to use your ignition key or make a different one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Get acess to the button..... try using a jumper wire across the leads in the plug you will pull off the button switch.....if that doesnt work..... leave the jumper across that switch..... pull plugs off of trunk solenoid....or whatever its called.....jump that aswell..... you should also have a volt meter there.....to see if voltage is present. ....if not....check fuses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts