Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got my hands on a Pontiac G6 center console with the hand brake. Couldn’t get the cables out, was way too humid out...
May install tomorrow if I can get cables for decent price. If not back to that G6 before it gets cubed. Managed to snag the door switches but seems like power mirrors won’t work and the lock ones don’t light up which is weird because the Malibu one does.
Also if someone could give me a plan for incorporating some paddle shifters. I have the “manual” feature on my transmission I guess because my shifter has plus and minus buttons.
How could I swap let’s say a Saturn steering column? They have the paddle shifters I believe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I cleaned up the buttons, looks like the power mirror one is toast, rattling bad. Anyone know how to fix this? Or do I need to gut the switch and try to swap the chips? 45B19EA8-7234-4AA6-B88A-157572580154.jpeg
Trim is useless, and the locks didn’t light up so I think I got a bad deal kinda.
0BB0A1B3-C038-45DA-A1A5-92B554425D8B.jpeg
Plate, lever and console in the back
Also snagged trunk mesh things but realized I need different one .

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,848 Posts
On the mirror switch, you should be able to open it carefully and see about rebuilding it by simply cleaning the contacts (if needed) and putting them back in their correct places. It's a simple switch. I've done power window and lock switches before. They just have little mechanical innards.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the mirror switch, you should be able to open it carefully and see about rebuilding it by simply cleaning the contacts (if needed) and putting them back in their correct places. It's a simple switch. I've done power window and lock switches before. They just have little mechanical innards.
Yup I took the leap before seeing this.
It’s a hard switch to remove so I gave up after a while.
The switch was missing the rubber part, so I swapped the chip part into the housing of the switch I had( was cleaner and such)... the diode is Burnt out... woop womp & I can’t get it out to put the white one back.
I think I was bamboozled a bit with the lock switches not illuminating or the power mirrors.
But I got windows swapped in the front to red (auto switch is low light) haven’t checked the rear ones don’t wanna break the things. Got front ones out no problems but the back ones are a p.i.t.a.
For the e brake ... I should have grabbed the one cable because the one to the pedal is way long from the looks of things I may be wrong.
Also carbon wrapd the switches trim... meh harder than it looks. I butchered it. I’ll get pictures later

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapped out the back switches... what a project... don’t try to do it.
Just doesn’t work spent quite A bit of time modifying stuff and it doesn’t light up but I do know they work because of the front passenger...
Long day, not the end results I hoped but I fixed back window switch that did not work.
Red on left original on right
108F2CA4-2DEF-4181-8637-57BA068C94F4.jpeg
Original back in front switch.
90C97A93-4566-4D66-99AF-2C41587E9620.jpeg
Not just a simple plug and play like I foolishly believed because the front went on no problem.
Still not done... so because it didn’t work I figured I’ll just swap it over.
436A8441-CAA1-48D9-A7EB-A9ECA4FCC197.jpeg
You can see the red light. I got excited around here with the end in site, or so I thought... tried to put it in, nope.
16E17D1F-9777-44EF-A6EE-44BB8DFED222.jpeg
There is an unnecessary plastic part in the middle which in not on the other ones (couldn't use because of the part not lining up)
05A16820-0930-453E-A589-271B667C8D08.jpeg
So I broke out a chisel and a hobby file, smoothed it out....
Nope. I stopped taking pictures at this point and said some curse words.
So basically it boils down to (and this is just my guess please answer with actual answer) the pins on the original housings are different than the G6 ones. If you look back at the first picture with the red led, you can see even the board where it’s soldered on is none existent on the original...
I can only really confirm when I cool off and pull out everything again, then chisel or dremel the back trim thing so g6 switch fits in. And I gotta take apart the switches again and put them back. Oh man... tip to anyone doing that make sure the window switch is even when you try and click the top or bottom back in then lightly hit the switch until it clicks and then you should be able to get the bottom back on... which was the original problem with my broken back window switch and I fixed right before all of this.
I also used leftover vinyl to try and fancy up the trim. If anyone is trying this do yourself a favour and get an adhesive pen to glue the edges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts