Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 chevy malibu LS 2.2L and last week when trying to start the car I would have to try multiple times to turn the key for it to crank. There was just no reaction at all and when I started shifting the gear from park to neutral thinking it was the neutral safety switch sometimes it would start, but I think it wasn't due to a short in the wiring or a blown fuse from reading all the threads here.

It went from intermittent starting to no longer wanting to start. Checked all the fuses and they look good, including the 2 amp one on the passenger side used for ignition/crank. We swapped in a new starter and the issue persisted, no crank, no start. We put the old starter back in because it was still good. We jumped the starter and the car started for a while. After a few times jumping it to replace oil and coolant while still trying to trace the short the engine sounded like it was not running well and continued jumps would make it run for only a few seconds before shutting off.

On the radio it says POWER STEERING. Checked the ECS cables and even wire brushed down the 80 amp fuse leading to the control module and same issue. Pulled the ECS cables out and the message on the radio disappeared (note I was not able to get the engine to crank at all still). Any other ideas? Should I try to jump the 4 pin starter fuse (i think #31 from memory right now) and see if it gets power? I feel a little confused why the short would be telling the computer the ECS was damaged when that seems completely separate than crank module.

There is obviously a short somewhere. The VAT light goes out when turning the key to the on position. There are check engine lights now that I still need to scan as well, but before there were no check engine lights when the problem started. Last note, now the car when turning on shows the odometer for millage then flashes ERROR instead of the millage for the car. Seeing a lot of different answers, but kind of just stuck at this point for what to check because clearly this is an electrical issue it seems.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

this seems very similar to the issue I have with same symptoms. Wish people would post their solutions!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well , its not a common issue....so people wont have a definate solution for you.

Next , I would suspect there are codes....what are they and their definition. In a cranking no start condition.... cyeck the fuel pressure. ...and post what it is.... do you have spark when cranking

Also check where these fuses and stuff mount under the hood.... those boxes have been known to fail....so you will notice other systems that the box shares to be having issues

1 - 3 of 3 Posts