Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a new member here, also new to Malibu ownership. My name is George. My "other car" shown as my avatar, GM catalog photo but looks the same, is a 1989 Celebrity Eurosport 2.5 Liter 4 door Sedan. It's in the process of restoration. I'm a long time member of the a-body.net forum that covers the Celebrity and it's sister cars the Buick Century, Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, and the Pontiac 6000. I see the Malibu as a more modern version of what the kind of car Chevy was trying to produce with the Celebrity - mid-sized, family-friendly, economical sedan with a sporty flair.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the Malibu and all it has to offer. So far I'm very happy with car. I'm having the car serviced by my local mechanic now. So far the greatest concern is the service air-bag light and associated codes. The car has never been in a crash or had it's airbags deployed, so we'll see if there's a bad module, wiring, connectors, or passenger seat pad sensor.

Thanks for reading about my "new" car. The purchase price was $1800, there is no rust, and it runs very well. It has 184,000 miles on the odometer. The car shown in the picture is not mine, but looks identical to my 2007 Malibu.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,634 Posts
A belated welcome to CMF! I saw another post of yours about older vehicles and your 1990 Taurus, and then noticed that you had 2 posts. I didn't recall what the other one was so I checked on it and noticed that you had posted this one as well, only it somehow ended up in the "awaiting moderation" queue.

Now that it's approved, others will be able to read it as well. I don't know why it happens, but it happens every now and then and it just happened to catch you this time.

So now you have 3 posts as of this writing. We look forward to having you contribute and hope that what we share with you brings you some benefit as well. Can't wait for some pics of your ride, but I guess we'll all just be a little patient.

·
Super Moderator
722 Posts
We had two Cutlass Cieras. I loved those cars. While some may think they weren't much to look at, I thought they were very comfy and offered a relaxing and enjoyable ride. I kinda like to say that I'm still driving one, as an offspring, since the Cutlass Ciera was replaced with the plain Cutlass for the 1997 model year, which was just an upscaled version of the 5th generation Malibu. So in my own professional opinion, the 7th gen is still a Malibu and therefor a direct replacement, especially since Oldsmobile went defunct in 2004. But the 1986 we had, it was considered an LS version even though it was as basic as it could get, it was so nice and comfy. That's one thing I miss about it. I've never had a car quite as comfortable to ride in as the 86.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! That's a nice ride you have there. Those high miles only indicate that if you take care of the car, it'll take care of you! Make sure your fluids are changed regularly, like your oil and check into the transmission service as well. If the oil has been replaced at least once in its life, replace it again to ensure the tranny lasts as long as possible. But that car is in such great shape for its mileage. I love looking at Cargurus and some of the highest mileage 7th gens look decent, but you can tell that they weren't very loved in their lifetime as the interior itself is dirty and after a certain amount of miles, it seems dealerships don't really care that much to give them the full detail for retail cleanups that they so deserve and could probably even score a few extra hundred on the price tag. Heck, even I'd spend a little extra if the interior was in good shape and not like someone took a bucket of sand and ground it into the carpet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much. It's great that there are sites such as this to help enhance the Chevy Malibu ownership experience! Much Appreciated.
George

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I agree the A-body cars, Ciera's included, were excellent handling and riding vehicles. Excellent balance for a front-drive car engineered in the early 1980's. On the Malibu, yes, a successor to the Ciera, Celebrity, 6000, and Century. For me at least, this 2007 is "poor man's Camry" - the Camry for 2007 is way more than I can afford. Like $5000 selling price for one with 120,000. I'm just hoping to not have a ton of repairs with the Malibu and reach that $5000 mark in bills. $1800 for the Malibu was a good price I think. The mechanic is trying to sort out air bag system issues right now - so I'll created a post about that. Have a good day!
George

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad I found another 07 silver Malibu! $1800 seems to be the going rate these days. I paid $1700 for mine with 179,000 miles, but it has some rust so I guess it evens out. I'm pretty happy with mine so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts