1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member, new problem.
2007 Malibu 2.2 147K.
No issues before, car was flawless.
Now, no crank. Battery fully charged. Moved shifter through entire range. Dash lights come on. Fuel gauge shows empty. Security light goes out after self test. Crank and only noise seems to be a click at the fuel rail, which is pressurized. At crank battery voltage actually goes up, probably because headlights go out. Release from crank, driver display momentarily shows Power Steering and Low Fuel. Low fuel light on gas gauge eventually comes on. No power to solenoid when cranked, post to battery is hot. Swapped crank relay.
Two different scanners detect power at OBDII port. Both unable to establish link. Every fuse under hood, in cabin and trunk checked.
Swapped ECM with junk yard. No change. Towed car to small town GM dealer to reflash ECM with VIN database. They can't connect to ECM.
Next Hail Mary will be to swap out ignition switch, just because I can't think of anything else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My first thought was wondering if the GM techs had an opinion as to the cause of the lack of communication between your PCM and their data readers. One would assume they have seen that before.

The first thing I would do is find the reason the car isn't cranking. That would involve a volt meter and an assistant. Start at the "start" lug on the starter's solenoid. If you have voltage at that point when your assistant turns the key to crank position, then the starter itself is bad. If not, then you will need a wiring diagram.

Once the motor can crank, then you can look for the reason for the computer glitch.

As for doing Hail Marys, also known as the shotgun method of troubleshooting, I recommend avoiding the practice. It's always better to have an idea of what the cause could be, and test to see if you are right. Shotgunning has a way of getting expensive. While there are issues with the ignition switches, it's better to know that IS the cause before investing in one. They're not ungodly expensive, but why invest in a part that won't fix the issue?

It's a waste of time and cash.

Cheers,
Pappy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. I had mentioned the no voltage on the solenoid on crank.
Dealer says the transmission control module is bad. I tried to use neutral several times, hoping the contacts for park were just wore out. When they bypass the TCM the BCM sends a crank signal to the ECM.
Extremely frustrating. It's broke down 3 hours from home, and it's about 3 degrees.
Could have gone junkyard route and fixed it for $35. Looking at $475 now.
Still have some doubts, no ECM communication and odd fuel gauge and DID messages.
Will let you know the final outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$517.83 later...
Seems to be fixed.
Transmission control module.

Other editorial comments to follow...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts