Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the vent selector moves, but doesn't change anything. It's stuck on the default of Defrost (and I can't choose Recirculate, naturally). Also, the A/C is always on. If I hit the button to turn it off, its light flashes then stays on.

This is almost certainly a vacuum issue, but before I tear into the dash and its dozen or so 7mm screws, is there a better way to diagnose this? Should I be looking for brittle plastic lines in the engine bay? If so, where? I didn't see anything obvious when I did look. On a side but possibly related note, the car bogs down if I try to rapidly accelerate, like for freeway entry (O2 sensors?). Also, the door switches for the locks will only lock, not unlock. Weird. Are all of these things the same issue, by any chance?

Anyway, my priority is getting the vent selector working. I can take off the dash, but then what? I suppose it's possible that one or more of the hoses came loose or broke. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Best bet would be to pull the control head out of the dash and see if everything is plugged in good to the back of it.

Bogging out on acceleration is normally a fuel supply issue.. no external filter on that year..

Will the doors unlock with the individual door switches? If no, you have wiring to chase. If yes, it's likely the master switch in the L/F door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the control head out. Are the vacuum lines are on the actuators? I expected to see a rainbow of hoses. As for the door locks, I'll check on that tomorrow. Raining here and getting dark.
MalibuVentsFront.jpg
MalibuVentsFront.jpg MalibuVentsBack.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, put things back together enough to test the door locks. Driver side only locks. Passenger side does nothing at all- sounds like the culprit. I'll look at it tomorrow. As for Climate Control, replacement control head is in transit. With everything plugged in and power supplied (with the car off), I turned the vent control knob a bit and could hear vacuum changes. With the car on, I couldn't hear anything and the knob had no effect on the actual vents. I drove it a bit to see if I could experience the bogging I was told was happening, but I didn't notice any issues. It certainly didn't get anywhere near stalling, so I'll have to ask more about that. Any words of advice based on this update?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed the door locks by removing the switches, cleaning all contacts, and replacing them in reverse position. The climate control head replacement fixed the vent issue. I could not get the engine bogging issue to happen (yet). Turn signal fixed (new switch and bulbs). Hazard switch replaced, though it only needed the button itself. Car's done as far as I'm concerned. Nice little ride.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,681 Posts
That sounds like it didn't take a lot of cash to get 'er done. Good job, and thanks for sharing. There may be others who'll benefit from your experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts