Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Son up in Massachusetts kept losing air in his front passenger wheel. I wasn't up there, so I told him to turn it outward, spray with water, and find the nail, screw, or tack. Maybe he could install a plug without even removing the wheel. He couldn't find it. So I was just up there visiting and we got to it on my last day. Pulled the wheel off, no sign of any nail, screw, or tack - but the lip of the steel rim was bent in three places! Yikes!! He was a bad parallel parker when he first moved up there, but he's really good now. Too late for this rim - the granite curbs killed it, and now it's leaking through the bead seal.

So he needs a new rim. Couldn't get to a junkyard before leaving, so we'll just order one online (along with the cheap chrome bolt-on cover).

Any recommendations for sourcing these two things online? It's just a steel rim, but I'd like it to match and, of course, be straight and true. Ebay vendors will just be junkyards, right?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
JY price used rims like they are gold. These wheels bend easily so they are a good seller. I went with new rims for my snow tires, with what my local JY wanted for used new were not much more. Don't forget to order the TPMS sensor/valve for the new wheel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What are the specs on this wheel? I know it's a 17" wheel and 5 lugs, but is it 17x7, 5x110?

And would it be the same for a 2009, 2010, and the rest of the model years for this generation Malibu?

ALSO: Just called a well-known Tire chain in MA and the guy there said he'd try to straighten the rim for $16, so we're gonna try that first. I think it's worth a try. I don't think there was a rumble from this rim, just that the bead wasn't holding the air anymore. Maybe a "patch" solution is the right one here ...

UPDATE: The tire place told him "you can straighten that yourself with a hammer", and sent him on his way (LOL!). So much for that! Probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I finally located some 5-spoke Malibu steel rims. Junk yard gave me a nice deal : $60 for 3 with 2017 tires still attached (but only “passable” tread)!

Anyway - tried re-programming the TPMS using the deflation technique as outlined in the Owners Manual, but no dice. And now all of them are showing no reading! I guess the TPMS in the replacement wheel is dead? And if the process fails you lose them all? Could try one of the other two wheels I guess unless someone says the deflation method just doesn’t work?

These donor wheels came off a 2008 Malibu, so they should accept reprogramming, unless they’re dead or damaged, of course.

I got the double chirp to start at the front driver wheel, then the passenger front, then nothing at passenger rear, then I managed to get the double chirp at the end, but the 3rd wheel kept screwing it up.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
If they're stock sensors, the battery(ies) may be dead or dying.

A couple years ago, one of my stock 2011 sensors had begun to show --- for the pressure now and then. I needed new tires about the same time, so when I got them I lucked out and they were having a sale on 4 new sensors installed while doing the tires for "only" an extra $200. They are not the stock brand, but they're working flawlessly.

Even on my 2011, I use a reprogramming device that I got online for under $60, and they may be available for less than that nowadays, but I'm not sure. I got mine when the tire shop kept "forgetting" to reset them after a tire rotation, or when they claimed that their device was magically not available, even making the same claim on a 2nd rotation! LOL. So I just do it myself at home. I'm tempted to do it in their parking lot, blocking the doorways, but that'd be juvenile.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
That was a good price for those wheels. When I was looking for rims for snows I had to go new as I couldn't find a none bent wheel. 11 yr old sensors those batteries in them are dead, one is lucky to get 8 yrs out of them. That 3rd wheel has a dead sensor if it will not register and system will not progress past the dead one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they're stock sensors, the battery(ies) may be dead or dying.

A couple years ago, one of my stock 2011 sensors had begun to show --- for the pressure now and then.
So it’s possible the dashes will change to actual readings now and then? Three of the wheels were working fine before the reprogramming.

Even on my 2011, I use a reprogramming device that I got online for under $60
Yeah - there’s the “authentic” Kent-Moore tool which used to sell for around $80, but I see it’s higher than that now, and then there are the Chinese knockoffs that can list for anywhere from $10 to whatever. Probably should finally buy one, but it’s too late for this particular episode.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was a good price for those wheels. When I was looking for rims for snows I had to go new as I couldn't find a none bent wheel. 11 yr old sensors those batteries in them are dead, one is lucky to get 8 yrs out of them. That 3rd wheel has a dead sensor if it will not register and system will not progress past the dead one.
Yeah - if was a good price! The junkyard local to me (who’s got everything) wanted $100 for just one! When I told her, “we’re talking about a steel rim here ... they’re $35 all day ...”, she still wouldn’t budge. Found a 2nd yard with one for $50, but he sold it before I got there a week later (LOL)! Finally did yet another online search and found these three listed for $20 each! Told the guy I only wanted the rims (too bulky to ship in my Nox otherwise). Two hour drive, I get there, tires still on rims. He says it’ll take at least a half hour or I can just take them as is. Looked at the tire dates and they were 2017’s, didn’t look too bad, so he wrapped the muddy treads in plastic and I threw them in my Nox! Thought with the 2017 tires that the TPMS might still be good, but I guess they weren’t changed with the tires?

Maybe one of the other two still has some life?

You know - before this, the son had been refilling the air (I bought him the 21-gal HF upright compressor), but when I arrived - only 18 lbs. He said “yeah, it never gets lower than that” ... but he’d been driving the Interstates this way!!! That tire was better than the donor tire, but now I don’t know...

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
So it’s possible the dashes will change to actual readings now and then? Three of the wheels were working fine before the reprogramming.
The dashes will show a pressure if the sensor is active and programmed to the car. Otherwise you get dashes.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I did a Chinese knockoff TPMS tool, the 2nd one works great, first one was inop. . Sure beats the bleed off or add air ritual without one trying to beat the system reset time out. Works great on my GM fleet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I did a Chinese knockoff TPMS tool, the 2nd one works great, first one was inop. . Sure beats the bleed off or add air ritual without one trying to beat the system reset time out. Works great on my GM fleet.
I’ll have to order one (or two).

Had to laugh (at first - but then I got kind of anxious): son turned on the 21-gal upright HF compressor in the basement and walked outside to try the deflation routine himself. Maybe a minute or two later, I went down to the basement to shut the compressor off because it was dark outside and I could see him out there reading the Owner’s Manual in the car (and the compressor was still mostly full from a couple days previous anyway). So he’s letting air out of each tire like there’s no tomorrow and maybe getting a chirp at each wheel. He did this three times and ended up with four pretty flat tires!

OK - it’s not gonna work - no big deal, I’ll throw out the compressor hose and you can pump them all back up!

Turned the compressor back ON, and nothing. Looked at that dreadful Oil Level sightglass and also nothing! Took the Oil Fill Cap off and looked inside - can’t see any oil!

You gotta be kidding me! It was running when I shut it off!

So I pour a tablespoon of oil in and shine a flashlight through the funnel into that dreadful sight glass (about the only way you can read the darn thing). Nothing. Pour another tablespoon. Soon I start to see what looks like the oil level line across the middle of the sight glass.

Turn it ON again. Nothing.

Now I unplug it and roll it out of the dark alcove it sits in so I can see the whole unit better. Nothing looks amiss. Not even that hot! I go grab the Owner’s Manual. Ahhhh ... there’s a reset button right here ...

Press the reset button, plug the thing back in - Nothing. Press it again. Still doesn’t start up! Now I’m worried!

So now I detach the Hose from the Outlet ... Vrooom ... it finally starts running!

LOL! So I had (previously) manually turned the unit OFF while it was running. And when it subsequently didn’t start right back up when I manually turned it back ON, I thought something was wrong with it (but it was just “full”), so I started to check the oil, didn’t see any (visible), then I thought it might be seized (but it turned out it wasn’t), ended up adding oil (which maybe saved it from seizing while refilling the four flat tires!). It definitely sounded better/quieter with the oil added! Had a metallic-y sound to it when I initially turned it OFF.

YIKES!! Might’ve dodged a bullet there!

Next time - check that oil level before each use because (apparently) - like the 2010-2013 Equinox/Terrain 2.4L engines, this HF compressor “uses oil with each use”. LOL!

As Carson used to say, “I DID NOT KNOW THAT!” LOL!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2x on 'nox 2.4's. I've got airless compressors as they start in low temps.
LOL! Yeah - mine was "airless" there for a while, too!

I know you meant "oil-less". I've seen those, but I've always been skeptical of one of those lasting at the very low end of the price scale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts