Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these cars have a cabin air filter? I see no reference to it, and a google search seems to find much discussion, but no answers. Some people thing there is a box for one that is left from previous design, but unused. Some think there is, and others don't. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I thought all Chevrolets have cabin air filters? Aren't they changed when you do routine maintenance at a GM dealership?

I could've sworn it was hidden somewhere inside/behind the globe compartment?

I don't know I haven't really cared enough to give you an answer I always thought there was...

You could just call your local dealership or GM service centre and ask?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought all Chevrolets have cabin air filters? Aren't they changed when you do routine maintenance at a GM dealership?

I could've sworn it was hidden somewhere inside/behind the globe compartment?

I don't know I haven't really cared enough to give you an answer I always thought there was...

You could just call your local dealership or GM service centre and ask?

Yeah I might try that... but I can't find anything about that. I read about someone seeing a sticker saying cut here for cabin filter, and others saying things about the golve box or by the windhsield wipers.

edit: I called them and they eventually said no, but I don't trust the answer. The reason is this - The service manager argued with me that the "new Malibu" came out in 2009 and not 2008... 2008 and older were the same until 2009. When I explained the 08 and 09 were virtually identical and the "new" design from 07 and older he got angry with me, and so did the tech he was confering with in the background.

·
Registered
749 Posts
GM for whatever reason did keep a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu CLASSIC around for 2008... they could have for whatever been thinking of that?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GM for whatever reason did keep a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu CLASSIC around for 2008... they could have for whatever been thinking of that?
I suppose, but he was quite certain that the redesign didn't occur until 2009. He went so far as to say, "you may have purchased it in 2008, but it is a 2009 car. All of the new Malibu's are 2009." Sigh... I will not go to that dealership for service, ever.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I suppose, but he was quite certain that the redesign didn't occur until 2009. He went so far as to say, "you may have purchased it in 2008, but it is a 2009 car. All of the new Malibu's are 2009." Sigh... I will not go to that dealership for service, ever.
Makes you wonder about the wording in the owner's manual that says something like "No one knows your GM vehicle like the trained experts who work at your local dealer." Damn. They don't even know what year the redesign occured!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes you wonder about the wording in the owner's manual that says something like "No one knows your GM vehicle like the trained experts who work at your local dealer." Damn. They don't even know what year the redesign occured!!
Yeah, and to top it off, I had my oil changed there the other day (free 1st oil change and upgrade to Mobil 1), and I had to pay the difference in price. I see now that they charged me twice. Strike 2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just be careful with cabin airfilters. I've had a couple of bad experiences with other vehicles. My 2006 Mercury Milan took in for an oil change and service writer tried to get me to have them change the cabin airfilter. I mentioned to him it's not in the service list in owners manual, he said let me check with service manager. So he comes back and said you're correct, there is no filter. He would have been very happy to write me up for a $100 charge for changing this non existent cabin airfilter had I not questioned this.
Then I my Volvo c30, they wanted $389 to change the oil, cabin airfilter and rotate tires! I told them, just change the oil, which cost me $39! That's a lot of money for a filter and rotate, but apparently they have to remove the pedals to replace this filter. This was at only 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mercury? Volvo? That's why everyone should drive a Malibu, mrmalibu! :)

Seriously, I'm not an authority on the subject, butI checked at an auto parts on the cabin air filter thing. I drive an '08 (NOT a "classic") and there is no cabin air filter available. That, coupled with the fact that it's not mentioned in the service schedule, seems to indicate that there isn't one.

kc650

·
Registered
193 Posts
They definitely have 'em. I also own a 2008 Chevrolet Venture and it has one. It cost me about $40 to replace, and I did it myself!
My 2007 Cobalt had a cabin air filter. Interesting that Chevy didn't put one in the Malibu. Maybe they don't do much? Or customers never change them so they are more harm than good? I don't know...

·
Registered
17 Posts
They have a place for the cabin filter, Its behind the glove box, but you have to cut out the opening. It tells you "cut dotted lines for filter". I guess you have to use a dremel tool or something. The problem it seems is that once you cut out the filter opening, how does it seal? A/C tape? There is a link about saturn aura's (same platform) that has some pics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never seen a cabin filter in any GM vehicle. Maybe in the more expensive cars but I doubt that.
Of course there is. My '02 Aztec had one as well as my '06 Grand Prix. It is also in the Impalas and Lacrosse. I walk by the location where it is installed everyday on the way to my work area (Impala plant). It is actually called a pollen filter and is located in the plenum on the passenger side (directly above the glove box).

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Yeah i think i dropped the fact that I bought a replacement cabin air filter when I saw one online... I have the part and bought it since it was only $11 and I had a bear trying to find one when I needed it (restoration work after footwell flooding that i had to fix ASAP for a trip)) so i want it on hand.

What do you guys think I have... YYZ yeah it's over the plenum on impala, any ideas on our 08-9-10 malibus?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah i think i dropped the fact that I bought a replacement cabin air filter when I saw one online... I have the part and bought it since it was only $11 and I had a bear trying to find one when I needed it (restoration work after footwell flooding that i had to fix ASAP for a trip)) so i want it on hand.

What do you guys think I have... YYZ yeah it's over the plenum on impala, any ideas on our 08-9-10 malibus?
I would have thought it would be in the same vicinity. But I am not sure.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would rather have a quality filter than none.
Wife bought a used Sable and it had one but never cleaned or changed. If you had seen the amount of crud that was packed onto it you'd be happy to have one rather than breathing that stuff in.
The OE was about $100 but also far superior to aftermarket. They were paper throw away and the OE was long stranded fiberglass, carbon impregnated. I simply soaked it with purple stuff degreaser and washed it clean. Good as new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If there are no cabin air filter that was there in your chevy, why not try to purchase one in your local stores or some shops here in the net. If ever you need to really have, please do have it. Or try to double check it out, maybe it is positioned in other places.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.