Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving in the snow for the 1st time with my new Malibu, the snow buildup behind the front tires froze overnight. The next morning when driving to work, the road caught the chunk of snow/ice breaking it off taking some of the platic body panel with it. As matter of fact this has happened on both sides of the car in the same trip. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a Chevy defect worthy of recall? I would think that the panels should not break off within the first 10,000 miles......Anyone?

·
Registered
237 Posts
:eek:...I've never even heard of such a thing...My heart goes out you.....Myself, I haven't set foot in snow in about 16 years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
post up a picture!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Holy crap I'd be pissed. I was noticing mine was built up and almost touching the road the other day after it was snowing here. That was after driving probably 60 miles. My last car had plastic panels molded around the rocker panel and fender and you could kick it with all you had and it wouldn't do anything to it. I told my wife not to kick it off the Malibu because I was afraid it would tear the splash guards off. I would have thought the rest of the car minus the splash guards would be strong enough to handle the build up happening because it is a fact of life in a lot of the country but it doesn't sound that way. I too would like to see pics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After driving in the snow for the 1st time with my new Malibu, the snow buildup behind the front tires froze overnight. The next morning when driving to work, the road caught the chunk of snow/ice breaking it off taking some of the platic body panel with it. As matter of fact this has happened on both sides of the car in the same trip. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a Chevy defect worthy of recall? I would think that the panels should not break off within the first 10,000 miles......Anyone?
No problems so far. For what its worth this happened to my parents '08 Mercury Mariner. I walked around it one day and noticed a chunk of body panel missing by one of the wheel wells. Nobody could figure out where it went, but we all assumed ice accumulated and broke it off. Luckily it was covered under warranty.

Blame it on Michigan weather and roads, I say.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I noticed there isnt much tolerance between the wheel wells and the tires. makes for a great looking car but in the Winter, tire rub on the icy buildup happens very fast especially when turning corners.

I dont know if this works or not, but try spaying something like Pam on the inner plastic panels. This will prevent sticking and buildup or at the very least the ice will fall off easier.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Pam sounds like an interesting idea,
anyone try it yet?

Looks like the snow is just about done for the season here in IL,
I noticed a lot of snow building up on the inside rear quarter panel behind the tire,
Reach up in there and you can feel a buckets worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.