Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu LS 2.4 L. My exhaust manifold appears to have a crack right down the middle, which is impeding me from getting my car smog in order to get my registration I have had 4 smog star certified stations refuse and turn me away due to this issue. I have ordered and returned now for separate exhaust manifold replacements which for some reason were only exhaust manifolds without the cat assembly. I’m also finding that my state of California is like next to impossible to find an exhaust manifold and catalytic converter assembly for my vehicle that is legal for my vehicle in the state of California. All of the assemblies that I have found online I have the words noted “ Not legal for sale or used in the state of California, etc. etc. etc.” I’m becoming very confused and this is becoming very frustrating I’m not understanding why this is nor am I understanding why I two cannot get mine replaced by the dealer free of charge or even half of the cost.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts
This is 2022, so your emissions warranty expired years ago. That's why the dealer won't do it for free or at reduced cost.

As far as getting the wrong cat when being ordered, it needs to says C.A.R.B. Compliant, not E.P.A. Compliant. Rock Auto has one for sale:
Blue Azure Rectangle Violet Font
Blue Rectangle Font Temperature Electric blue

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
2x Emissions warranty on any car sold in the US is 8 yrs / 80k miles. That is Federally mandated.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu LS 2.4 L. My exhaust manifold appears to have a crack right down the middle, which is impeding me from getting my car smog in order to get my registration I have had 4 smog star certified stations refuse and turn me away due to this issue. I have ordered and returned now for separate exhaust manifold replacements which for some reason were only exhaust manifolds without the cat assembly. I’m also finding that my state of California is like next to impossible to find an exhaust manifold and catalytic converter assembly for my vehicle that is legal for my vehicle in the state of California. All of the assemblies that I have found online I have the words noted “ Not legal for sale or used in the state of California, etc. etc. etc.” I’m becoming very confused and this is becoming very frustrating I’m not understanding why this is nor am I understanding why I two cannot get mine replaced by the dealer free of charge or even half of the cost.
Yea I've replaced 3 catetyc converters already, after the third one got cut off I said the hell with it I'm not buying anymore those things are ridiculous high. So I had an exhaust guy just weld a straight pipe where the catalytic converter was you might be able to do something the same. By the way mine passed the test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts