Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m not a car person in the least. So my 2008 Malibu, with 95,000 miles, the fuel gauge works then shows empty, then back to full again. This morning as I was parking, gauge was showing empty again, and now my check engine light is on, is this because the fuel gauge is going crazy? So I’m asking, what needs replacing? Is the fuel gauge part of the fuel pump or separate? I know they need to drop the fuel tank, so at that time, I would just want them to fix everything, since the tank is down, is this right? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

· Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Step one is to get a full scan of the systems to see why the check light is on. Many systems are interconnected and can affect each other.
Today's cars are computers on tires so diagnostic scans are a first step in tracking down issues.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got engine scanned, it’s a bad fuel sensor. How long is it ok to drive like this, before I have to get it fixed? I have a mechanic I trust, but work schedule is a pain and this is my only car. What all has to be replaced?

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,014 Posts
You don't "need" a fuel gauge to drive. You just risk running out of gas when you don't expect it. It's up to you.

· Registered
5 Posts
Got engine scanned, it’s a bad fuel sensor. How long is it ok to drive like this, before I have to get it fixed? I have a mechanic I trust, but work schedule is a pain and this is my only car. What all has to be replaced?
You have a intermittent ground I had same problem it.s on the sending unit that goes in your tank can be repaired i,removed the tank put new lead on it with fresh wire works great again quite a bit of work but worth it rhonda

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,014 Posts
The code doesn't say "bad fuel sensor". It tells you that there is an issue in that system. It could be a wire, a plug, or the float (sensor).\

Until it's inspected, nobody, and especially not an armchair mechanic, can tell you one way or the other. Trust your own mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts