Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just picked up a 08 (new style) LS Malibu with the V6 3.5 engine, its a fleet vehicle. I love the car, only problem I have is that I have a single outlet exhaust even though it has a V6. I plan on taking care of that by buying the rear valence from the dealer then throwing on a Flowmaster Super 44 single in/dual out muffler then getting pipes to each side. Question is anyone know what the size of the exhaust should be? I heard 2.5"?

On another note, when you turn on Auto On for the headlights and leave it on Auto, aren't the headlights suppose to turn on at night? I tried this, put it on auto and it sayd Auto On, yet my headlights did not come on by themselves. Also if it helps, when I turn the dim switch it really doesn't do anything at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A dealer tried to sell me one that he said was a v6 but I noticed the single exhaust and read the paper work and it was 4cyl

·
Registered
144 Posts
He said its the 3.5 V6, which makes it a fleet vehicle, (which Mali27 stated). The V6's in the non-fleet malibu's are the 3.6

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know anything about the exhaust, but you are correct that the lights are supposed to come on automatically in "auto" mode, which is the default mode. I'd go to service center for a warranty repair since something is wrong.

The 3.5 is an extremely efficient engine. Good power, but you can still get 32 MPG on the highway. Good choice!

·
Registered
438 Posts
The lights should be coming on. If the dimmer isnt doing anything then it appears the lights are stuck in daytime running mode where the internal lights are at full bright and the dimmer doesn't actually do anything. However, the headlights should be on in this case, though at a lower daytime running light brightness level.

Do the headlights function properly when you turn the auto lights function off and maunally toggle the on/off switch? Toggle the auto lights off and on again. Also check to see what they do when you have the auto lights set to off... can you then adjust the internal lights with the dimmer, are the headlights on? It sounds like they're actually off when you have it on or stuck in daytime mode as if it's detecting light. Perhaps the function was disabled.

If these simple checks dont turn anything up I would take it in for warranty service to fix it.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lights should be coming on. If the dimmer isnt doing anything then it appears the lights are stuck in daytime running mode where the internal lights are at full bright and the dimmer doesn't actually do anything. However, the headlights should be on in this case, though at a lower daytime running light brightness level.
Yea the lights all full bright, dimmer doesnt do anything, but the headlights are not on.

Do the headlights function properly when you turn the auto lights function off and maunally toggle the on/off switch? Toggle the auto lights off and on again. Also check to see what they do when you have the auto lights set to off... can you then adjust the internal lights with the dimmer, are the headlights on? It sounds like they're actually off when you have it on or stuck in daytime mode as if it's detecting light. Perhaps the function was disabled.
Yes I manually have to turn the headlights on at night, toggling the on/off switch does nothing. Ill try adjusting the internal lights with auto off. Where is the actual light sensor and how would I go about enabling the function if it is infact disabled?

The 3.5 is an extremely efficient engine. Good power, but you can still get 32 MPG on the highway. Good choice!
Yea I was averaging low 20's in the city, sometimes as high as 23-24 when im taking it really easy and coasting and on my drives home from work (highway) the highest Ive hit was 34.2. And what makes things better is this engine has a lot of low end torque and even with brand new tires it breaks them lose no problem, never thought I would be able to torque steer the Bu' when I purchased it :D.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yea the lights all full bright, dimmer doesnt do anything, but the headlights are not on.

Yes I manually have to turn the headlights on at night, toggling the on/off switch does nothing. Ill try adjusting the internal lights with auto off. Where is the actual light sensor and how would I go about enabling the function if it is infact disabled?

Yea I was averaging low 20's in the city, sometimes as high as 23-24 when im taking it really easy and coasting and on my drives home from work (highway) the highest Ive hit was 34.2. And what makes things better is this engine has a lot of low end torque and even with brand new tires it breaks them lose no problem, never thought I would be able to torque steer the Bu' when I purchased it :D.
Anyone know what the torque and HP ratings are for the 3.5l?

The light sensor is the black dome on the center of the dash near the windhield. With your headlights set to auto mode, during the day, parked outside in the light, you should be able to trigger the lights by putting a har or something over the light sensor dome, and then turn them off by removing it. You have to cover it for a few seconds though. I don't know how it was disabled. I was working with a tech once because I can hear the elctronic static noise caused by the analog potentiometer dimmer switch, and wanted to rig it so the auto lights still functioned, but the interior lights were always set to the full bright daytime mode. This isn't possible, but he told me there were ways to disable the auto light sensor or keep it set to daytime always, but then the lights would need to be manually turned on/off. I'm guessing something like this happened. Perhaps a fuse was pulled, a wire was cut, or some programming done. No matter how you look at it, though, it should be covered under warranty to be repaired for free by a GM dealership.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I tried the dimmer on other settings but auto and it dims the interior lights besides the instrument panel. Im starting to think a fuse for the light sensor or something was pulled as I have no idea what else it could be.

The car was a theft recovery so the warranty is void. It was my uncles work car and someone stole it, thankfully we found it parked outside someones house in one piece, and I bought it back from the insurance off of him.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well I tried the dimmer on other settings but auto and it dims the interior lights besides the instrument panel. Im starting to think a fuse for the light sensor or something was pulled as I have no idea what else it could be.

The car was a theft recovery so the warranty is void. It was my uncles work car and someone stole it, thankfully we found it parked outside someones house in one piece, and I bought it back from the insurance off of him.
A theft voids a manufacturer's warranty? I did not know this.

If you turn the auto light setting to off, turn the headlights to on, and try the dimmer, what happens to the internal lights?

If you turn the auto light setting to off, turn the headlights to off, and try the dimmer, what happesnt to the internal lights?

If you turn the auto light setting to on, park it out in the daylight, put a dark hat, glove or other covering over the light sensor on the dash (leave it for 10-20 seconds), what happens to the dash lights and the headlights (have someone vliew outside)? If ANYTHING happens, what happens when you then remove the covering from the sensor, thus exposing it to daylight again?

With the auto lights off and the headlights on you shouldnt really be able to do anything with the dimmer, but with the headlights on you should. If the auto headlight system is on, the dimmer should work when it is night time or the sensor is covered and the external and internal lighting system is triggered for night time mode. When it isn't covered, or it is day time and bright outside, the auto light system should trigger daytime mode, cutting the brightness of the headlights and making the internal lights super bright but undimmable.

If the above situations dont happen as they should, answers to the previous questions might be able to solve what part of the system contains the fault, and tracking down the specific issue & correcting it would be easier.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Auto setting off, with headlights on dims everything.

Auto setting off and headlights off doesnt do anything.

Turned auto setting on, covered with hat and still nothing. I even sat there at night for 10 minutes in the dark, parked with it on. Nothing.

Also if its any coincidence, my window lock button doesnt seem to work, passangers can still roll down the windows. Im thinking the sensor and this issue might be connected somewhere. How do I get the sensor out to check the wiring? Do I need to take out the whole dash?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im starting to think someone disabled the feature. I know at night when I hit unlock on the remote the hi-beams and reverse lights turn on, though during the day they dont Im assuming because the sensor senses that I don't need them. So, in that case, does anyone know how I would go about enabling this feature, possibly through the DIC?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have no idea how they disable it, but I was told at a dealership that they can. I would check the fuses first. Then I would see if that dome easily pops out, and if so check the connections there. You may need to find out where those wires go and see if something is disconnected somewhere. I don't know where to begin for this, though. It could also have been done with a computer, but again, I don't know. You may want to call a dealership service department, tell them your situation and ask if you can speak with a mechanic or tech and ask them what they think, or how they'd disable it.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sensor works. I manually selected the DRL and when i cover the sensor it INSTANTLY dims the instrument panel, same when I turn the headlights on manually it dims instantly. This is getting really frustrating. Oh and I figured out my window lock only locks the rear driver side window, both passenger side can still be functioned with it on.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought it didn't work until I manually put on the DRL and I went under a bridge and the dash dimmed, so it works on ALL settings except on auto.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Strange... gotta be a fuse or a relay or something unless it's software driven. I'd call a dealership and ask. They tend to be good about the free advice. Just tell them your year of your car and they'll assume it's under warranty and be more likely to try to help you because they know they'd have to fix it for free anyway, or at least they'll think that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.