Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad bought this vehicle used 3+ years ago, my son drives it now, and I’m a bit embarrassed to admit I really don’t know much about it. A couple days ago my son and I pulled out the scissor jack and when we were done neither of us was sure how to put everything back in there properly.

There is no styrofoam insert to hold the jack inside the spare. Is that missing, or no? And does the spare sit in the angled well with finished/valve stem side facing you or no? And the carpeted floor piece - this one bows terribly in the center - so much so that the threaded stud has made a “volcano “ where it contacts the floor piece. It seems like the stuff isn’t in there properly to properly support that carpeted floor piece!

What’s the order and orientation of each piece in the storage well on that threaded stud? Is it spare first, then scissor jack, then plastic wing nut, then ... or is it scissor jack first, then plastic wing nut, then tire ...

There’s also a 3” circular plastic screw down cap that you normally see on top of the carpeted floor piece to hold it in place, but there’s no recessed hole for it to screw into, and no marks on the carpeting saying that’s where it was.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Pretty sure the big floor piece is supposed to just sit on top of everything and hold itself up. Mine is all f'd up too and doesn't sit level either. Too many years of putting stuff that should be in a truck bed in the trunk so it's basically shot. I honestly can't say how all the spare tire stuff is supposed to go. 314k miles and my wife has had the only flat tire we've ever had on it, and I was in a different state for work when it happened so a friend helped her change it out.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
My old '09 went in inner side of rim facing up and jack stored inside of rim. Wing nut held it down and tight. Plastic cap holds cardboard floor up. Going by a old memory on a car I sold.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up finding a poor/vague reference to this in the Owner’s Manual: Jack goes in first, then wing nut, then spare (with outer side facing up), then 3” circular hold down. Floor piece just sits on top. The only thing the Manual really said was the jack went under the spare.

But this is a lousy arrangement because the long threaded stud protrudes well past the 3” circular hold down for the spare! And then with stuff on top of the floor piece, because the piece is 8” too short in the back end and can therefore shift off its front lip support, the floor piece ends up caving into the spare well and the stud tries to blow through it - creating a “volcano” protrusion.

This floor piece is bowed like the letter “U”!

Need to cut that stud back a couple inches and add some kind of support for the floor piece to stop it from caving in.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,212 Posts
I like your idea of improving the support for the flimsy cover/floor. It had to have been designed that way to save weight and money.

I added a cross-type lug wrench, but it doesn't really attach to anything, so I used a couple padded envelopes from various items shipped to me to keep it from vibrating or wandering about. I also put a couple under the tire to keep it from squeaking, which was driving me crazy. (Short trip! ;))

·
Registered
8 Posts
PITA spare tire stuff! Our 2011 didn't even come with a spare tire! Just a spray can of 'magic goop' and a 12V compressor! WTF was GM thinking??? This vehicle was 'off lease', we bought it in '14.
Our local recycler (junk yard) was able to get us a donut tire and a jack - made me much more comfortable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ended up putting a piece of plywood under my cardboard trunk liner. It seemed to give it the support it needs. I like the idea of a cross type lugwrench. I'm going to look into that. It won't be additional stuff in the trunk, as a lugwrench is a valuable accessory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts