Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about how many miles I should put on my new Malibu 2.4L before doing my first oil change.I changed the oil in my 2006 HHR at about 2000 miles and found metal chips in my oil filter.I would like to get Mobil 1 synthetic and K&N oil filter in this baby ASAP.Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've heard that a lot of car 'enthusiasts' change theirs between 1 and 3 thousand miles. I tend to go to 3000, then follow the DIC (Mobil 1 full synthetic too). My new Bu isn't over 1500 yet, so almost halfway there..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Why disregard the Oil Life System? It's based on engine use and is recommended by the manufacturer.
On my 04 Grand Prix it seems the oil life monitor would let me go almost 10,000 miles between changes, which I thought was pretty extreme. I try to shoot for between 5 and 6K miles for an oil change.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
On my 04 Grand Prix it seems the oil life monitor would let me go almost 10,000 miles between changes, which I thought was pretty extreme. I try to shoot for between 5 and 6K miles for an oil change.
As much as I trust the Oil Life System and as much as I disagree with the every 3000 mile oil change interval, I would never go beyond 5 to 6K either. If the Oil Life System allows you to go much longer than that, I would fear a build up of condensation in the oil from lack of engine use.

Does Chevy use a special "Break-in Oil"?

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you follow the maintenance schedule you'll never exceed 12 months without a change anyway- for those who don't drive enough that the OLS asks for a change any sooner. The interval is OLS or every 12 months, whichever is earlier. But I've made it a habit to change the oil by 3000 miles for every new vehicle, simply because of wear / breakin, and things I've read saying that this is the period where contaminants show up in a new vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quick question..just picked up the oil filter and found it is not the normal filter with the metal outer casing...how do i change the filter on this sucker? Do i need a special tool or will it be fairly obvious once i get under the car?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil filter is on top of the motor just back of the oil dipstick,it has a 1 1/4 size plastic nut on top of the cover.It`s a real breeze to change it you`ll see.Check out the filter you`ll probably see metal chips in there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Talked to my dealer and they said do the first at 3,000 which seems a bit much for a first - but I should be okay with that, right? What kind of damage could the metal chips do in the oil, if any real serious problems...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just didn`t like the thought of those chips floating around in the oil I guess.Maybe I`d rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the dumb questions cause i haven't seen it yet...am i still trying to pour any oil in the new filter before i am trying to install it? i am guessing not but again, have never seen an oil filter like this before?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don`t have to pour oil on the new filter just install it and screw on the plastic cover add the oil to the crankcase and you`re all set.Go with 4 to 4 1/4 quarts first then start the engine and check for leaks,then shut down the engine let it sit for a couple of minutes then check if you need more oil,don`t overfill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went thru the first oil change..couple of things...when staring at the oil chamber, i noticed a pre-drilled hole that seemed deep with no screw in it? Did anyone else see that? Just wondering if i am missing a screw...

Also, i was able to get the oil filter cap off but struggled with the wrench because it was too big to manipulate in the small space..is there a tool made specifically for that type of cap?

btw, I have a black granite 2LT, 4 cylinder..so far so good...i just changed the oil at 2100 miles and saw a ton of metal pieces in the filter...glad i changed it..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a 1 1/4 inch wrench and cut it down to a workable size and it works fine.As for the hole I think it`s OK the way it is.I`m still not sure about those metal chips in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i am full of dumb questions...i wasn't able to reset my Oil Life..i assumed it would work similar to the other items on the display panel such as MGP, Trip, etc... but when i brought oil life up and used the reset on the steering wheel it did nothing... what is the trick?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have to press and hold the 2 bottom buttons together,then release after a couple seconds,then you can scroll to oil reset with the second button,then press the bottom button to reset and you`re all set,I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
New guy here, i'm in the market for a new LTZ in the coming months but as I was reading this post got a lot shivers going down my back :eek:, as a former aircraft mech and backyard mech when ever I get a new car my schedule for oil changes is 500,1,000 and then 3,000 miles or 3 months thereafter, all those metal chips floating around in your oil is doing no good to that engine and that's not to say that all the those micro size chipsthat your filter can't catch are playing havoc with the internals(bearings,rings,seals) to spend that much money on a car and then neglect the oil is well, Crazy :rolleyes: Like the old Fram commercial said "Pay a little now or a lot Later" ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
My dealer has told me 3,000 is fine for the oil change - should I ignore what the dealer says and bring the car in at 1,000 - which will be in about 2 weeks at the pace I'm driving. How much harm could those metal chips do to the engine if I wait until 3,000 like they say - very torn here....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.