Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have successfully setup 2 of my 3 homelink transmitters (buttons) for my two garage door openers, which are different make/model. However, I can not get the 3rd button to work with our community gate. The Mailbu vehicle manual instructions talk about 2 general areas for setting up 'Homelink'

1. How to setup with a garage door opener, where one presses the 'LEARN' button on the base unit in the garage. Works fine. This is for units manufactured after ~1996

2. What to do for garage door openers before ~1996 (set dip switches, how to replicate the dip switch settings on the homelink system, etc. YUK.

I have a gated community and have a > 1996 transmitter to open the gate. I have a 2007 GMC truck -- homelink configured with this. Had a 2007 Acura -- Homelink configured with this. I can not figure out how to program the Malibu Homelink transmitter with only a Opener transmitter (no access to the opener and 'Learn' function. The manual does cover this scenario. I have tried using my 2007 GMC manual process -- nope.

Anyone else have this same issue, and/or have you figured out how to do this? I have talked to the dealer and they have no idea (yet).

-bird

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sorry, no idea what you need to do. But I wanted to point out that the remote transmitters in our new 08 Malibus aren't HomeLink. That's why they don't require the transmitters in order to set them up with the garage door openers. Unfortunately, that might mean you're out of luck with that gate, unless you can figure out how to get access to the opener's receiver and learn button..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post. You are so right. I am one not to look through the manual, as I can figure most gadgets out without one. The system is a 'Universal Home Remote' system, as per the manual from Lear Corporation (URL: http://www.learcar2u.com). Looks like I am out-of-luck if I can not get to the 'learn' button of our community gate. This is a 'downgrade' from the Homelink technology (as I have in my GMC truck), as you can also program the vehicle buttons using the transmitter. -bird :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am experiencing the same situation for my gated community. I have contacted Lear Corporation and also the manufacturer of the security system for our gates. I am still working with Lear Corporation, who has offered to work with a representative from my community, in addition to attempting to find a workaround solution -- but no guarantee. My community is telling me I am the first person they have heard who has a problem programming our gates into their car's universal remote. I will post if and when I have any progress in this regard.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I had my 03 Accord, I lived in a gated apartment complex. When I programmed my fob to my homelink in that car, I just held the fob close to the homelink button, and pressed them both simultaneously until the homelink light rapidly flashed (I don't know if it's the same in the Malibu, though). Homelink should pretty much work the same in most vehicles, I thought.

·
Registered
421 Posts
HomeLink does. But GM has gone away from HomeLink lately. The system in midmodel 07+ Avalanches (and presumably other full-sized GM 900 vehicles) were the first I noticed with the changeover. My 07 was an early build, and had HomeLink, which was programmed exactly as you have described for your 03 Accord. My 08 Malibu has the newer GM 'universal home remote', which not only doesn't use another transmitter to 'learn' the signal, but the buttons also aren't backlit on the white dots (an annoyance I've mentioned elsewhere here).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.