Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Love my 2008 white Lt2 Malibu,

The front and rear bumpers have a yellowish hue to them at most but not all angles, especially from the side view.
I HAVE LOOKED AT HUNDREDS OF PICS ONLINE,
and see the same thing on many of the white 08's but have not heard anyone talk about it yet.

This is not a great example , but if you look at where the front bumper attaches to the side you can see the difference in colors.http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/gallery/index.php?n=50

The dealer agreed to have them repainted at a body shop.

I am wondering is it worth it to have the bumpers taken apart and risk ,having the car never be the same. will the paint tech really put it back together the way it should be?(can they really match the color ?)

has anyone else had there bumpers removed and repainted? I think they changed the white on the 09 model, I wonder if the yellowish bumpers are the reason?

All input is appreciated.
thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do remember back some years ago the problem with pearl colors getting discolored and turning yellowish in color.

The Malibu is flat white, correct, no metallic added? Seems weird it would happen but it is a different surface so I guess it could happen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I think it is a flat creamy white?
In bright light and certain angles, looks fine.

but from the side in regular light it is very noticeable.

I wonder how repainted bumpers will compare to the rest of the car's factory paint.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No problems on my LTZ, i've looked at other white Malibus and haven't noticed anything different :D have you done anything to the paint,clay bar,cleaner wax,polish might see if this changes anything ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an ’09 summit white, and noticed the front and rear bumpers are a slightly different color than the body. I also noticed the bumpers are not sheet metal. They are a slightly pliable surface – maybe fiberglass or plastic? Anyway, my thinking is that painted metal is not going to *exactly* match painted plastic. But that’s just a theory.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I enjoy looking at my White 08 2LT all the times, at different angles and light and don't remember to see anything yellowish at all. I have had the car for 5 months.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problems on my LTZ, i've looked at other white Malibus and haven't noticed anything different :D have you done anything to the paint,clay bar,cleaner wax,polish might see if this changes anything ;)
For Christmas I got a clay bar.

The Bu was made 06/08 , so she sat out on a lot for six months ,
Maybe the material the bumpers are made of and paint on them, acumulated some crud that did not come off,
when they brushed the foot of snow off, and hosed her down that cold December night, Or the only time I washed her so far?

Thanks for the Idea,
I will try the clay bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I notice the same thing on my '08 white LTZ. The plastic bumpers have a slight beige hue to them. It is very noticable after a wash. I had cilajet coating right after purcahse and wondered if that had something to do with it. I noticed it on some photos of other 08's and even asked another forum member if they had noticed it on their car. I could see it in the pictures of their car, but they said they didn't see it. I asked my dealership about it and they said it was normal of couse. I quit worrying about it. I like the hue of the bumpers and wish the whole car was that color. It reminds me of my white diamond escalade.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have an ’09 summit white, and noticed the front and rear bumpers are a slightly different color than the body. I also noticed the bumpers are not sheet metal. They are a slightly pliable surface – maybe fiberglass or plastic? Anyway, my thinking is that painted metal is not going to *exactly* match painted plastic. But that’s just a theory.
Bumpers & fascias like this have been plastic on pretty much every vehicle for quite some time now.

That said, this different "hue" on plastic vs. metal parts is a common point of contention on a lot of different vehicles and a lot of different colors. It traces back to the molecular differences of the same paint on metal vs. on plastic, sometimes resulting in a varied shade if not done 110% right. Sometimes, even the same cars in the same color will show it more or less than others, depending on what batch, etc. they came from. Another thing that often adds to it are fascias/bumpers and other trim being made and fully painted in a different plant than the rest of a car body, and then coming together at the end. Theoretically they should match perfectly, using the same paint and such, but sometimes there's a slight difference...often very, very slight. But not unusual. Auto body shops and other paint "people" are generally pretty well versed on this,

People typically notice it more on colors like white or gold, but sometimes it can also--depending on the paint and color--show up with dark varities. My Orion Built '09 2LT that was Summit White had an ever so slightly different hue of white from the plastic fascias to the sheetmetal, but nothing that stood out or that anyone besides me staring at it really could notice. But also, with such a bright, white-white, any difference between sheetmetal and plastic is sort of naturally amplified.

So, long story short, it's pretty common, regardless of brand, model, etc., and technically there should be no difference and that's always the goal, but sometimes it does show up due to the slightest of variances in painting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback,
Im just wondering if it is worh it to have them removed and repainted?
The dealer is great and has offered to have a body shop repaint, but honestly, im a little nervous, about having the new car go in and be taken apart.
Sometimes it seems things are never the same after that?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bumpers & fascias like this have been plastic on pretty much every vehicle for quite some time now.

That said, this different "hue" on plastic vs. metal parts is a common point of contention on a lot of different vehicles and a lot of different colors. It traces back to the molecular differences of the same paint on metal vs. on plastic, sometimes resulting in a varied shade if not done 110% right. Sometimes, even the same cars in the same color will show it more or less than others, depending on what batch, etc. they came from. Another thing that often adds to it are fascias/bumpers and other trim being made and fully painted in a different plant than the rest of a car body, and then coming together at the end. Theoretically they should match perfectly, using the same paint and such, but sometimes there's a slight difference...often very, very slight. But not unusual. Auto body shops and other paint "people" are generally pretty well versed on this,

People typically notice it more on colors like white or gold, but sometimes it can also--depending on the paint and color--show up with dark varities. My Orion Built '09 2LT that was Summit White had an ever so slightly different hue of white from the plastic fascias to the sheetmetal, but nothing that stood out or that anyone besides me staring at it really could notice. But also, with such a bright, white-white, any difference between sheetmetal and plastic is sort of naturally amplified.

So, long story short, it's pretty common, regardless of brand, model, etc., and technically there should be no difference and that's always the goal, but sometimes it does show up due to the slightest of variances in painting.
Thank you for the excellent explanation, Beach. That explains my situation exactly. Only someone as detailed as me can notice the slight color difference between the bumper and the rest of the body. Makes perfect sense that the paint was applied at different locations and will never match exactly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Thanks for the feedback,
The dealer is great and has offered to have a body shop repaint, but honestly, im a little nervous, about having the new car go in and be taken apart.
you'll probably open a can of worms if you take it in, unless it really is that noticeable I would live with it ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the feedback,
Just for info, I've noticed the color variation as well. It is on all plastic parts it seems vs. sheetmetal. I've noticed most vehicles on the lot have it, some colors showing the difference more than others.
I feel certain that plastic parts have the color before they are added to body and the body is already painted. This causes the problem of paint batch variation. Even when say painting your house, it will tell you to mix all gallons first because of variation.

Also, the paint may age differently on sheetmetal vs. plastic and there is a different primer for plastic.
I did notice that red seems to match better which I think is an added price paint. And I think I was told that hues of red were the hardest to match in batches. So, maybe it gets a final coat after assembly. And then there is the white diamond tri-coat which is still more money, but I haven't looked closely at a vehicle having it.
How the plastic parts blend with the body has a lot to do with whether the color difference is objectionable. That is, maybe the same color differences would not appear as objectionable on a Camaro.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Its fairly common.. I could notice it on my Silver scion tC and my white Scion xB.. Its more noticeable on white than it is any other color.

I would just live with it versus them taking it apart

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She was repainted under warranty, they said that the yellow primer was showing through.

It Looks way better now , except for a little horizontal misalignment on the passenger side rear bumper , when they put it back on the car.

The only open issue I have is the one where the brake pedal makes the metallic clunk upon release, when the steering wheel is all the way in the down position, but after hearing all the disassembly that needs to be done, to insert a few washers, makes me want to skip over that problem fix at this time.
plus sometimes the shifts from park to drive or reverse are a little rough, but that may be due to engine idle speed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.