Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know if I could take old school chevy 350 and put it in 2009 chevy Malibu if I can what would I have to change there are no emissions were I live and not to worried about the computer

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
You'd want to change the front springs and shocks.

You'd want to modify the rear wheels to add a diff and half-shafts. (They use the same bearings as the front, so they're already splined.) But you may want to beef them up.

While an old-school 350 might have more low end, you'll lose mileage overall. My 3.6L V6, which comes to about 220 cu. in., has about 252 HP, which is right around what that V8 has, only it weighs a lot less and has EFI to make it a lot more efficient.

If MPGs are not an issue, then it's still gonna take a lot of work.

I wouldn't even try to put it in as FWD. The transmissions for FWD are either too weak if it's the 4-cylinder version, or won't mate up even if it's the stronger V6 version. Then you also have to worry about clearance for the steering rack plus any cross members, etc, but that's just part of any ol' engine swap.

I'd like to see it, though, 'cuz I've thought that it would be a great little car for a crate motor so long as it was converted to RWD.

·
Registered
99 Posts
for one if your going to go through the trouble of an engine swap why in the world would you do an "Old School" 350? There is a reason no one swaps those in anything anymore and that's because for the same price you can swap in a more modern V8 that has a lot more power and on top of that actually gets decent fuel economy. Secondly like driven already explained it will be ALOT of work to do the swap, anything is possible but unless you have good fabrication skills it really wont be worth it to even attempt a swap like this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
oh yeah one option if you really want to do a v8 and keep it front wheel drive for some reason maybe look into a ls4 swap which is the 5.3L v8's that came in the v8 grand prix's and Impala ss's that were front wheel drive. It would still probably require a lot of modification including dealing with electronics but may be a little easier since you can get a trans that mounts to it fairly easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doesn't the gen 7 mailbu have the gen 2 epsilon platform, same as some of the newer corvette's with the ls engines. been wondering about this. haven't really looked into it thou. if your gonna drop a different engine in something you gotta go rear wheel drive, just my opinion at least when talking about switching to a v8

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
@plzkillmenow - The gen 7 Malibu is on the original Epsilon extended wheelbase platform from the gen 6 Malibu Maxx. There is absolutely nothing in common between any GM front wheel drive platform and the Corvette, which has only shared its platform once in recent history (the RWD Cadillac XLR sports car).

Attempting to swap a V8 into a Malibu is not advisable. No factory Epsilon car ever housed a V8 and it most likely won't fit. The LS4 used in the front wheel drive Impala SS/Pontiac Grand Prix GXP/Buick Lacrosse Super was a specially modified 5.3L V8 for use with a 4-speed transaxle. This was done in the larger W-body chassis and was known for its unreliability both for the engine and transmission.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Like I always tell people, it's infinitely more practical, reliable, and cost effective to sell the Malibu and buy a used car that fits your intentions, rather than attempt an engine swap or massive custom project.

2008-2013 Cadillac CTS (3.6L V6)
Horsepower: 304-318
Cost: $10,000-$15,000

2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0L V8)
Horsepower: 360
Cost: $15,000-$20,000

2011-2014 Dodge Charger R/T (5.7L V8)
Horsepower: 370
Cost: $15,000-$20,000

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for one if your going to go through the trouble of an engine swap why in the world would you do an "Old School" 350? There is a reason no one swaps those in anything anymore and that's because for the same price you can swap in a more modern V8 that has a lot more power and on top of that actually gets decent fuel economy. Secondly like driven already explained it will be ALOT of work to do the swap, anything is possible but unless you have good fabrication skills it really wont be worth it to even attempt a swap like this.
That is why I ask you guys so I would know I didn't think of modern engines as it was just curiosity if was possible thanks for explaining

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'd want to change the front springs and shocks.

You'd want to modify the rear wheels to add a diff and half-shafts. (They use the same bearings as the front, so they're already splined.) But you may want to beef them up.

While an old-school 350 might have more low end, you'll lose mileage overall. My 3.6L V6, which comes to about 220 cu. in., has about 252 HP, which is right around what that V8 has, only it weighs a lot less and has EFI to make it a lot more efficient.

If MPGs are not an issue, then it's still gonna take a lot of work.

I wouldn't even try to put it in as FWD. The transmissions for FWD are either too weak if it's the 4-cylinder version, or won't mate up even if it's the stronger V6 version. Then you also have to worry about clearance for the steering rack plus any cross members, etc, but that's just part of any ol' engine swap.

I'd like to see it, though, 'cuz I've thought that it would be a great little car for a crate motor so long as it was converted to RWD.
Yes i thought would be awsome to eliminate alot of computer crap I'm not worried about gas mileage or money to have it done

1 - 9 of 9 Posts