Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. It started over a year ago. The front right wheel seemed to lock up in July, 2014. The Recall 13036 came out in August and the car was taken to my local Chevrolet dealer in September 2014 and the harness was replaced.I drove it off the lot, drove it 10 miles and started getting all the same error messages . The dealer could not replicate the problem when I took it back. After that, I had my local mechanic look at it because it happened just as I was near his shop.He said I had 17 codes, but when he went back they had cleared themselves. I took it back to my local Chevrolet and he saw a power steering extended warrant on my car's VIN, so did that work. I was still having problems with SERVICE ESC, TSC OFF, lose of power steering, all gauges going to zero, except the battery assist gauge on the dash.

He suggested I take the car to a larger Chevrolet dealer that would have a certified hybrid mechanic. I left my car with a dealer in San Antonio for 3 days, they could not replicate the problem.
Yesterday evening, I hit a bump, lost my power steering, all the gauges bounced around, all TSC warning codes came on. I have learned to keep driving, eventually everything will go back off. It seems to happen more often in cold,damp weather, but I can hit a bump anytime and may have that problem. I have always thought it was a ground issue around the front right wheel.
It would be great if this were a recall issue, or Chevrolet would cover the repair cost! I read another thread that said something about a loose connection on another Malibu. Will go back and check that also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the information.

My 2012 LT1 2.4 just started showing similar issues though with it when I first start it I will occasionally get the ESC/Power Steering indicator and no Power Steering, which if I shut the car off and start it again will go away. It hasn't occurred while driving.

The other interesting thing that it does is a slight pulsing in the steering wheel (even at a stop) when light touch is applied in one direction or the other. Never saw anything like that before.

·
Registered
9 Posts

My 2012 LT1 2.4 just started showing similar issues though with it when I first start it I will occasionally get the ESC/Power Steering indicator and no Power Steering, which if I shut the car off and start it again will go away. It hasn't occurred while driving.

The other interesting thing that it does is a slight pulsing in the steering wheel (even at a stop) when light touch is applied in one direction or the other. Never saw anything like that before.
I am having the same issue with my 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. It started over a year ago. The front right wheel seemed to lock up in July, 2014. The Recall 13036 came out in August and the car was taken to my local Chevrolet dealer in September 2014 and the harness was replaced.I drove it off the lot, drove it 10 miles and started getting all the same error messages . The dealer could not replicate the problem when I took it back. After that, I had my local mechanic look at it because it happened just as I was near his shop.He said I had 17 codes, but when he went back they had cleared themselves. I took it back to my local Chevrolet and he saw a power steering extended warrant on my car's VIN, so did that work. I was still having problems with SERVICE ESC, TSC OFF, lose of power steering, all gauges going to zero, except the battery assist gauge on the dash.

He suggested I take the car to a larger Chevrolet dealer that would have a certified hybrid mechanic. I left my car with a dealer in San Antonio for 3 days, they could not replicate the problem.
Yesterday evening, I hit a bump, lost my power steering, all the gauges bounced around, all TSC warning codes came on. I have learned to keep driving, eventually everything will go back off. It seems to happen more often in cold,damp weather, but I can hit a bump anytime and may have that problem. I have always thought it was a ground issue around the front right wheel.
It would be great if this were a recall issue, or Chevrolet would cover the repair cost! I read another thread that said something about a loose connection on another Malibu. Will go back and check that also.
I had similar issues on my 2009. I towed my vehicle to the dealer and they said it was the Body Control Module. They replaced it and it ran for a few hours and then started jumping. I slowly drove it back to the dealer and then they claimed it was an issue with the throttle body. Which they said was under warranty. It wasn't , they just replaced the wrong part previously. Beware.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I recommend telling the dealer you're having the issue with your EPS (electronic power steering) and make sure they record the mileage and VIN too. When I called customer service they asked if I had reported it, so apparently they keep track of it. Your issue is just like mine has been the past month but it is getting worse as I can not always get it to reset anymore.

That way if they come out with a letter later you have proof to them that it occurred prior to the mileage cut off of the warranty extension they called it to me.

Or maybe you can report it by directly calling Chevy customer service?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to be a downer, but my 2009 was part of two recalls and the problem still exists!!! I don't think they know how to fix it. I have now printed all possible fixes and plan to take my car to my local, not GM, mechanic. As previously stated, my car has been to two Chevy service departments and still no fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an Update on My 2009 Chevy Hybrid. I was finally able to get it to a Hybrid Mechanic and they had to replace both battery cables. " Positive and negative cables rigged and not correct for vehicle causing problems. cables loose and negative cable to small to be body ground. replaced positive and negative battery cable assemblies. cleaned contacts and checked harness under battery for battery acid damage." I just drove it 60+ miles with no problems. Hope this helps someone else. Yes the diagnostics and work cost $626, but now I feel safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts

This issue was resolved by replacing the steering column. Seems it was a harass issue that is known.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has anyone gotten a for sure fix on this yet? I've posted in this thread before, but my power steering is basically non existent. And I'm way over the mileage for the GM recall. I've heard of tons of cars with this issue, but very few that have been fixed successfully.

Reactions: Lauralynn23

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone gotten a for sure fix on this yet? I've posted in this thread before, but my power steering is basically non existent. And I'm way over the mileage for the GM recall. I've heard of tons of cars with this issue, but very few that have been fixed successfully.
My 2012 has 195,000 miles on it so it is outside of the recall mileage. The steering column replacement worked for me and cost about $700 for the shop that did it (AGCO AUTO)
Power steering has been fine since then. Only normal Chevy electrical issues to date.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,007 Posts
Thinking outside the box, what if someone decided to add a power steering pump and swap the electric rack for a hydraulic one? Or possibly use an off-road add-on power steering unit that connects to the drag link (not found on R&P) that you'd clamp to the tie rod, then a hydraulic ram would push and pull the steering. That would keep the EPS in place physically and all you might have to do is pull the 80A (?) fuse to disable it and just use what has worked for decades.

My Gen7 is the 3.6L V6, which comes standard with hydraulic PS. I'm so glad I have that with all I keep hearing about EPS!

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 2012 has 195,000 miles on it so it is outside of the recall mileage. The steering column replacement worked for me and cost about $700 for the shop that did it (AGCO AUTO)
Power steering has been fine since then. Only normal Chevy electrical issues to date.
Yikes, I'm hoping it's not $700 when I finally get mine fixed. I know that dorman or someone makes the torque angle sensor or whatever it is that needs replaced. They designed and started making it based on all the EPS problems with these cars. So if I could find a little bit of literature on how to disassemble the steering column, I'd go after it myself. But I just can't imagine going in there blind and doing it with no prior knowledge on how to do it when we rely on the car most days for our commute to and from work for both the wife and I and our two kiddos to daycare.

Reactions: Lauralynn23

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thinking outside the box, what if someone decided to add a power steering pump and swap the electric rack for a hydraulic one? Or possibly use an off-road add-on power steering unit that connects to the drag link (not found on R&P) that you'd clamp to the tie rod, then a hydraulic ram would push and pull the steering. That would keep the EPS in place physically and all you might have to do is pull the 80A (?) fuse to disable it and just use what has worked for decades.

My Gen7 is the 3.6L V6, which comes standard with hydraulic PS. I'm so glad I have that with all I keep hearing about EPS!
I'd have to think that fabricating a setup like that would wind up costing more money and way more time, than it would take to just fix the EPS itself. It'd be nice to have hydraulic steering like 90% of the rest of the vehicles on the road. But I can also see why GM did it, the little 4 banger needs every single HP it can get to keep the car moving and not turn sky high rpms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a start to an otherwise pleasant weekend friends...I too experienced the mysterious and sudden loss of power steering along with the complimentary escape off the road message on my 2009 Chevy Malibu Hybrid. I pulled off the road, turned the car off and sat for a minute wondering what I should do. I switched the car back on...and what do you know, all is well again. I managed to drive it home without any problem and started searching the internet for a clue about what was up, found some videos and info about the recall. My experience was very similar to the guy who had tire pressure, tire monitor warnings (which aren't a big deal when the tires are fine...just another irritating issue with this car) and then the loss of power steering. My car's vin also was not listed on the recall...bummer. This morning, I woke up and tried to start the car and my car would not start but rather every light on the inside of the car began flashing. It seemed possessed...like it needs a priest. I decided to have it towed to my mechanic to look at on Monday, when the tow man arrived, he thought it might be a battery issue and we decided to try and jumpstart Ms. Malibu. Like magic she lives! I drove it to Auto Zone where they checked the battery for me. Their reading said it needs to be replaced. Replaced the battery (the one in front...not the hybrid battery) and voila! All of the dash messages stopped and the car is fine. So first thing if this stuff happens, and it is pretty f-n scary to lose power steering while driving...test or just replace the battery. Maybe loss of the battery power = loss of power to the things controlled by the electrics, 1st one is tire monitor stuff, next the power steering. I'll update if anything else goes awry.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This thread makes me fear for my son’s safety driving my (now deceased) father’s 2008 2.4L Malibu. I don’t think he’s experienced any steering issues yet (@~72,000+ miles), but it’s likely just a matter of time. Better warn him...

My father bought this vehicle from a dealer, so maybe it was repaired prior to sale? How could I find out?

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
This thread makes me fear for my son’s safety driving my (now deceased) father’s 2008 2.4L Malibu. I don’t think he’s experienced any steering issues yet (@~72,000+ miles), but it’s likely just a matter of time. Better warn him...

My father bought this vehicle from a dealer, so maybe it was repaired prior to sale? How could I find out?
Servicing dealer will have it in their system if they did it. SAS repairs where failure only, not done preemptively.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a 2009 Malibu (2.4 engine with electric power steering) a few weeks ago. Pulled into my driveway today and the power steering goes out and the traction control light comes on and service ESC message comes across the message center. Turn the car off and back on and the light goes out, power steering comes back for a second then the light trips again and it's out again as soon as I turn the wheel.

After looking it seems to be a problem that is not uncommon. Reading that the steering column may need to be replaced for the torque sensor.

I checked and my car is not on the recall list for this issue.

Has anyone done this job themselves?

I think in 3 weeks of owning this car I've had every known tough issue pop up... Headlight goes out and I have to spend an hour in 19 degree weather taking half the bumper off to change a bulb.

Then my wiper linkage breaks on the highway in a snow storm because of a plastic bushing... GM won't sell me the 30 cent replacment bushing and wanted to charge me 140 bucks... So I had to order it from Amazon and drive three days with no wipers...

All but one of the door locks stops working... The front passenger side door actually locked shut with no way to open the door so I had to pull the door card off from the inside and pop the lock... What a nightmare...

Ugh....if this is one of those issues where I need the 2000 dollar diagnostic tool instead of my scan tool to calibrate I'll drive it without power steering before I pay a dealer a dime to fix it. Sorry to vent, but this car is giving me a headache... Runs great otherwise!:)
My power steering just went out today with traction control as well mine is also an 09?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,007 Posts
Please read this post and several more after it. You may still have some coverage!

·
Registered
1 Posts
No change, I haven't had the funds to get it fixed yet. I also believe the outside temp directly effects it. When it warms up it doesn't happen as often. It's been below zero here for a few days and it has triggered almost every time I've driven it. I think the cold shrinks the electrical connections a bit and forces the failure.

The worst part is, when it turns the power steering off, it also turns the traction control off, and as you can guess, there is usually snow and ice on the roads when it's cold, and I'd really like to use traction control!
To all Malibu owners I have 2010 Malibu 2.4 and from yr 3 with that car I started getting service esc,service traction control esc off. Also powersteering going out when these all happen the brake lights stay on until I would hit the brakes and then brake lights go off. I struggled for a very long time with it. I kept at it and finally found the issue and fixed all of it in 15 minutes and have not had any of those things happen for a long time. There are 3 fuse boxes 1 under hood 1 at passenger side floor in console and 1 in the trunk. Go through every one push all fuse many of them will slip.down and back on place...the car has a lot design electrical system the go to the passenger side fuse box in the console. You will need to put dielectric grease in both plugs that have blue covers on them. Put them back on and this will.fix this problem.for good. It's not a mechanical issue or sensor issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my 2009 Malibu. Not even a month after buying it. What could it be?
Bought a 2009 Malibu (2.4 engine with electric power steering) a few weeks ago. Pulled into my driveway today and the power steering goes out and the traction control light comes on and service ESC message comes across the message center. Turn the car off and back on and the light goes out, power steering comes back for a second then the light trips again and it's out again as soon as I turn the wheel.

After looking it seems to be a problem that is not uncommon. Reading that the steering column may need to be replaced for the torque sensor.

I checked and my car is not on the recall list for this issue.

Has anyone done this job themselves?

I think in 3 weeks of owning this car I've had every known tough issue pop up... Headlight goes out and I have to spend an hour in 19 degree weather taking half the bumper off to change a bulb.

Then my wiper linkage breaks on the highway in a snow storm because of a plastic bushing... GM won't sell me the 30 cent replacment bushing and wanted to charge me 140 bucks... So I had to order it from Amazon and drive three days with no wipers...

All but one of the door locks stops working... The front passenger side door actually locked shut with no way to open the door so I had to pull the door card off from the inside and pop the lock... What a nightmare...

Ugh....if this is one of those issues where I need the 2000 dollar diagnostic tool instead of my scan tool to calibrate I'll drive it without power steering before I pay a dealer a dime to fix it. Sorry to vent, but this car is giving me a headache... Runs great otherwise!:)

21 - 40 of 66 Posts