Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL....Last I checked this is still a free country (for the time being). I can and will FREELY provide my opinion and guidance as does everybody else on this forum including you I am sure. I didn't come on here to ruffle yours or anybody else's feathers, jiminy Christmas. When I copied and posted the exert from the bulletin, it didn't format it the same as in the actual bulletin. The section about "Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward." is actually in a new paragraph below the the paragraph you point out the wording. Your OPINION is that the two paragraphs are conjoined and that the first paragraph dictates the second paragraph. And that's fine, that's your OPINION. My OPINION is that since they started a new paragraph it indicates a second RESPOSIBILITY that the dealer must do. .Here it is in the EXACT format from the bulletin.

DEALER RECALL RESPONSIBILITY – All

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Now why do I believe that the second paragraph is separate to the first paragraph? Simple, because the first paragraph clearly uses the words ALL UNSOLD NEW vehicles. So in my OPINION, the first paragraph is clearly talking about NEW vehicles that have not been sold yet, because that's what it says. The second paragraph is clearly indicating USED vehicles with the words regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership. Regardless of Mileage indicates it could have ANY amount of miles on it. Regardless of age indicates it could be ANY age. Regardless of ownership indicates it could have changed ownership MULTIPLE times. ALL of which means it is no longer NEW and obviously is no longer an UNSOLD vehicle. So again MY OPINION is the two paragraphs are NOT conjoined but two separate responsibilities that a dealer should adhere to. Sorry if my opinion offends you. I do agree with you that anybody should call the dealer to verify, but I kind of thought that was self explanatory. Its not like somebody is going to be able to walk into a dealership and be able to say I read some guys opinion on the internet therefore you have to do it...LOL Like my opinion or guidance is law..

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,073 Posts
I didn't say not to share your opinion, but to be careful when doing so. Some folks don't read everything, and so they may not get the entire story. I've done it and I'm sure you have as well.

I also suggested that the owner should call the dealer, considering that the PDF you shared is 6½ years old. On just that one point, it's an old recall, so any owner of the identified models should check first before going in and demanding service. On that point we definitely agree. Your original post didn't contain that comment, so I made my comment without the intent to ruffle your feathers.

Yes, this is still a free country. And yes, you can still post your opinion here. But that is not quite as free as your comment seems to suggest. If there is inappropriate content, it can be edited or removed. You have not done anything that warrants any action at all, so you're doing a good job of expressing yourself without going too far. You don't appear to be unstable, just passionate. I've seen others get all riled up over less, and then go way too far. You're not even close.

What you shared earlier was appropriate, what you shared this time was also appropriate.

With your comment above, I can see where it is reasonable to conclude that any affected vehicle is required to be fixed by the dealer. I would guess that they can check the VIN for any previous service and decline any free repairs if the recall has already been performed. So it's good that you took the time to make it a bit clearer for me as well as any others who come along.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Opinions are like sphincters, everyone has one....

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,051 Posts
Also since a 7 year old recall doc doesn't say much about whether a certain vehicle has already had it performed, you can visit my.chevrolet.com with your VIN and it will list any open recalls on that vehicle. You can also use NHTSA.gov/recalls but it isn't as accurate in my experience.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had my sensor replaced twice now. First time I tried to get in on the recall, but mileage limit is/was 130,000 miles, and I was already over 200k. Had to have it done again last spring. Dealer charged $200 for the part, and $200 for 2 hours of labor the first time. Same dealer, different service advisor quoted me $950 to do it the second time. So I made my thoughts on the matter pretty vocal, then took it to a local shop that got it done for me for $385.

Unless this is an updated recall, the mileage limit is 130,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like a copy of the file you have if possible. Could you PM it to me? I am having issues with my power steering as well and nothing different from left turn or right. It pops off when it wants to and until the car is shut off and turned back on it will stay off once it cuts off. It happens hot or cold weather and does what it wants when it wants . Chevy car brains do not discriminate 😂😂😂 I appreciate the file any help is great. These chevys can be little tricky at times and frustrating

Angie D

First thing you need to do is to have the codes read by something that can read ABS codes. A simple OBDII reader will not be able to read what you need to see. Some Advance Auto Parts stores will check your car with ABS capable scanners. Remember no matter what goes wrong on a modern car you have to read the codes before doing anything else. The codes tell you where to start looking not what to fix.

What symptoms do you have with the Power Steering besides no PS? Does it turn easier in one direction Vs the other? Is it reduced PS or actually no PS?

The torque sensor replacement isn't a hard repair if that is your problem (I sort of doubt it). My car had the recall done. From the time I drove into the shop until I drove out it took about 50 minutes and that was with some time BSing with the Service Adviser after he told me the car was done.

I have a pdf file with the diagnostic procedures for the electric power steering codes. They are all C codes so should be be readable with a scanner that can read ABS codes. The file is too large to attach on this forum so if you want it send me a PM. Some of the procedures call for the use of a Tech 2 but if you are good with a DVM reading voltages, continuity, resistance, etc you should be able to jury rig your self past the Tech 2 stuff. If you read the Action Taken section of the codes you may decide some of them don't apply to your situation and you can just cross them off the list with the idea you will look there last if you don't find the problem.

Bill
CMF Edit: Personal email removed. Please use a PM for your safety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2009 Malibu (2.4 engine with electric power steering) a few weeks ago. Pulled into my driveway today and the power steering goes out and the traction control light comes on and service ESC message comes across the message center. Turn the car off and back on and the light goes out, power steering comes back for a second then the light trips again and it's out again as soon as I turn the wheel.

After looking it seems to be a problem that is not uncommon. Reading that the steering column may need to be replaced for the torque sensor.

I checked and my car is not on the recall list for this issue.

Has anyone done this job themselves?

I think in 3 weeks of owning this car I've had every known tough issue pop up... Headlight goes out and I have to spend an hour in 19 degree weather taking half the bumper off to change a bulb.

Then my wiper linkage breaks on the highway in a snow storm because of a plastic bushing... GM won't sell me the 30 cent replacment bushing and wanted to charge me 140 bucks... So I had to order it from Amazon and drive three days with no wipers...

All but one of the door locks stops working... The front passenger side door actually locked shut with no way to open the door so I had to pull the door card off from the inside and pop the lock... What a nightmare...

Ugh....if this is one of those issues where I need the 2000 dollar diagnostic tool instead of my scan tool to calibrate I'll drive it without power steering before I pay a dealer a dime to fix it. Sorry to vent, but this car is giving me a headache... Runs great otherwise!:)
This sounds exactly like my 09 chevy malibu. All the same problems. Headlight is ridiculous to change, O2 sensor keeps the check engine light off, issues with locking mechanisms on door and of course, the driver side so I would have to pull myself out through the passenger side. Put a new battery in and that helped with the issues I was having with the locking mechanisms and transmission issues. The car runs great when it's working well but it seems like there is always something wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 09 malibu amd my power steering goes out used to be able to turn car off and on and it would be fine but now its none stop does anyome know what part is acrually needed to fix rhe problem and how much it costs

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just bought a 09 malibu amd my power steering goes out used to be able to turn car off and on and it would be fine but now its none stop does anyome know what part is acrually needed to fix rhe problem and how much it costs
You need the torque angle sensor for the steering column. Should be about a $200 part, and 2 hours of labor to install it, so roughly $200 labor depending what your local shop charges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information.

My 2012 LT1 2.4 just started showing similar issues though with it when I first start it I will occasionally get the ESC/Power Steering indicator and no Power Steering, which if I shut the car off and start it again will go away. It hasn't occurred while driving.

The other interesting thing that it does is a slight pulsing in the steering wheel (even at a stop) when light touch is applied in one direction or the other. Never saw anything like that before.
I’m having the same problem with my 2009 Malibu. Not even a month after buying it. What could it be?
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TO THE T HAVE U FIXED IT MINE JUST STARTED IN THE PAST MONTH I HAVE AN APT AT CHEVY TOMORROW AND HOPEFULLY THEY CAN FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM (COULD A BAD BETTER CABLE THROW A CODE LIKE THAT IM ONLY ASKING BECAUSE MINE IS SLIGHTLY CRACKED AND CORRODED AND IT IS ELECTRIC POWER STEERING PLEASE ANYTHING THAT U HAVE FOUND CAN HELP PLEASE MSG ME OR REPLY THANK U AND HAVE A GOOD ONE 7073844126

my bad it was my first time ever posting on this forum anyway

·
Registered
1 Posts
No change for me. I stopped by the dealership to let them know what was going on with the car so they could log it. I told a lady at the service desk I wanted to report what was happening to GM, but I don't think she was to interested in what I had to say. She took my name and typed something in, but who knows. I'd like to find a place to report it online somewhere so we can all tell GM this is BS and needs to be recalled. I'm having a feeling that more than just the 3 or 4 people that are posting in this thread are having the same issue...

Light had been off for a few days, and this morning as I turned slowly into my parking lot at work, it tripped it again. I just muscled it into the parking spot and shut her down.

Bill, my above posts state the issue I am having, mostly on slow tight turns (But also happens whenever it wants to) my dash says Power Steering and turns off my traction controls and I lose ALL power to the steering and have to fight the wheel like I am turning a 1960's pick up truck with no power steering 90 degrees from a dead stop. It makes no difference in the steering if I am moving at 80 mph or sitting at a stop light. Turn the key off and back on and it works like normal. I'll deal with it in the spring when it's not 5 degrees out in the shop.

For the time being I just overhauled the brakes on my old Silverado and now the wife just drives my big hauling truck when she needs to go somewhere because she isn't driving this car the way it is.
I am having the exact problems with my car. This week as been nuts on repairs and cost. This is just the latest thing. Happened on my way home. Did I mention on a curvy dirt road ? I am a 65 year old woman so this was a real adventure. I could handle the car so don't believe the cars steering was completely out but still hard to handle especially on tight curves .maybe we should all contact GM until this is fixed.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,073 Posts
I am having the exact problems with my car. This week as been nuts on repairs and cost. This is just the latest thing. Happened on my way home. Did I mention on a curvy dirt road ? I am a 65 year old woman so this was a real adventure. I could handle the car so don't believe the cars steering was completely out but still hard to handle especially on tight curves .maybe we should all contact GM until this is fixed.
What car do you have? Please read this and share more info.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts