Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently damaged my passenger side reverse light (oops) and just bought a replacement assembly. However, unlike the brake light which has plenty of video tutorials, there doesn't seem to be a good tutorial on how to replace the entire reverse light assembly. I took out the carpet bolts from the trunk and I'm stuck just trying to get the assembly out by brute force. Any tips? The current one is already super damaged so I'm not that worried about being delicate...

- Peter

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
You've already pulled the carpet off the trunk.

There are fasteners that you remove and then the reverse light comes out. Being damaged might cause some issue with coming out as easily as it otherwise would.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You've already pulled the carpet off the trunk.

There are fasteners that you remove and then the reverse light comes out. Being damaged might cause some issue with coming out as easily as it otherwise would.
Do you mean the plastic on the right side of the light? It doesn't look like there are any other parts securing the reverse light to the trunk. All I see are some plastic clips on the assembly that won't budge.

UPDATE: I brute forced the broken light assembly out. I can fit the new assembly in but it's not flush and secure. Seems like some of that new padding is really thick! I wonder if it will stay in with some clamps to compress that padding.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Alloy wheel Fender

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Font

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
A lot of this car has the Lego mentality - it snaps together. Taking it apart, though, tends to break things. I've not had the actual light housing out of mine, but since you were working on a damaged unit, overcoming it with force was a means toward getting it out of the way so the new one could take its place.

What do those 2 nuts and plastic things do?

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
White ''arms'' with nuts lock the assy. in. Red housing tabs hold the opposite side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts