Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully this thread will help some people, and myself of course :) Here are the issues i've had with this car since purchased NEW in July 2009. By the way, I haven't done ANY maitenance on motor other than regular oil changes since I bought it new.
*EDIT i have 153k on this car now (new transmission at 120k)

1) Door speaker (cannot hear when using Onstar and bluetooth)
@70,000 miles - replacing speaker fixed issues

2) SES Camshaft position sensor, code P0010 (was intermittent, dealer changed soleniod under 100,000 mile warrantee. have yet to see code come back)
68,000 - 82,000 miles -- issue resolved

3) CD Eject button (does not work when it is cold outside)
40,000 - Present

4) Driver side door lock (Could not open drivers side door from inside or outside until i fiddled with the lock a few times. This problem happens rarely)
@76,000 miles - removed solenoid, cleaned and re-installed, still working at 153k

5) Hard transmission shifts 1-2 (Noticeable in traffic, going up hills and starting from a stop. The dealer looked at this in Jan 2014 and deemed it not an issue since no engine codes were on. They suggested to change the fluid and filter for $300 which I obviously did not do with them)
40,000 miles - 120k (replaced transmission, should have changed fluid at 50k would have lasted longer)

6) Keyless entry very weak (Tried replacing battery, but it did not help. I have been using the spare set since)
@75,000 miles - bought cheap insert piece on keylessfix.com, still working at 153k

7) Headlight bulbs - I still can't believe they make you take the bumper cover off this car to replace the bulb. Anyway, I've had to replace these twice through 153k miles.

Let me know if anyone has experienced any or all of these issues and what the best remedy is!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,924 Posts
Door speaker: replace it. Buy one online to save a bunch of money (amazon probably has it) and either do it yourself or have a dealer swap it in.

Hard Trans shifts: Your 5 yr/100,000 mi powertrain warranty is probably still in effect. Don't waste time and get the car in the shop.

Keyless entry very weak: the keypad has electronic contacts that are prone to wearing out. Buy a new keypad off amazon for $5 or get the keyless-fix insert here: http://www.keylessfix.com/shop/.

·
Registered
93 Posts
"3) CD Eject button (does not work when it is cold outside)
40,000 - Present" - this made me chuckle....
the transmission hard shift must be a GM thing, all my chevy's and buicks did it. My 12 Equinox did after 500km, normal operation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"3) CD Eject button (does not work when it is cold outside)
40,000 - Present" - this made me chuckle....
I guess you have the same issue??

Thanks for your help guys. Also i was told that SES camshaft position sensor light i got (which has since gone away) the guy at autozone who scanned it for me said that it's very common and extremely hard to troubleshoot.... what do you guys recommend i do before my 100,000 mile warrantee runs out?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess you have the same issue??

Thanks for your help guys. Also i was told that SES camshaft position sensor light i got (which has since gone away) the guy at autozone who scanned it for me said that it's very common and extremely hard to troubleshoot.... what do you guys recommend i do before my 100,000 mile warrantee runs out?
Need Code #. Should not hard shift.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ours is at 93k (bought used with 44k 3 years ago). Problems are below:

1) Rear door lock actuators are shot. I bought new ones but have yet to install them.
2) Both Camshaft soleniods for the Variable Valve Timing went out (1 around 50k, the other around 85k). Dealer replaced the first, I replaced the second one.
3) T-stat went out around 50k, dealer replaced.
4) Transmission slip...still kind of present but had the tranny fluid flushed around 85k. Had the dealer install the new tune for the engine and transmission. Seems to have helped a lot.
5) Positive baterry terminal coroded so i replaced it - around 91k.
6) Not a problem but I replaced the spark plugs around 85k.

To be honest, the car has been pretty reliable. I hope to it goes 200k+ (I think the tranny will go before anything...

As far as your Cam sensor code. You need to have the code read and report back. Both my cam sensor codes were the solenoids and they are a very easy fix!

In the near future I will be doing new shocks/struts. Maybe some bushings (depending on how they look when I get under there). This will happen between 95-100k.

I change my oil every 5k with Mobil Full Synthetic 5w30, ACDelco filter. Replaced the air filter around 80k (will need to be replaced again soon).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need Code #. Should not hard shift.
Autozone scanned it again: P0010 - intake? camshaft position sensor

The code came back after driving in bumper to bumper traffic, and went away the next day after driving on the highway for about 45 min.

I'm going to take the car into the dealer asap, i'll keep ya'll posted. I'll ask them about the transmission as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
With P0010 or 11, out of warranty just change the Cam actuator, not the sensor. The actuators are at the passenger side, the sensors are on the driver side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
*Please see updates to items 2) 4) and 5) in first post*

slls: they changed 2 soleniods, is this what you meant?

GBPackerfan: thank you so much for your detailed post! It looks like we're having extremely similar experiences with this car. This is a maintenance list the dealer gave me after changing the solenioids under the 100,000 miles warrantee. I did not have them perform any of this work due to the pricing and got the car back today free of all charges including a rental for 2 days (which was of course a 7th gen malibu):

1) Transmission maintenance (fluid, filter and gasket) = $290
2) Emissions maintenance = $190
3) Throttle body service = $160
4) Coolant service = $190
Total = $830 (before tax)

I'm going to be performing engine maintenance finally this spring, so i will keep this updated

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,853 Posts
DIY throttle body maintenance: Spray rag with cleaner, wipe TB throat and plate. Drive away.

Cost: A can of TB cleaner, 2 rags, your time.

Savings: $160

-------------------------------

DIY emissions maintenance: No lights? Keep driving.

Cost: Your time to look at the dash.

Savings: $190

-------------------------------
Total savings: $350

You may forward a 20% "tip" to me by using "PayDD.com" - ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
*Please see updates to items 2) 4) and 5) in first post*

slls: they changed 2 soleniods, is this what you meant?

GBPackerfan: thank you so much for your detailed post! It looks like we're having extremely similar experiences with this car. This is a maintenance list the dealer gave me after changing the solenioids under the 100,000 miles warrantee. I did not have them perform any of this work due to the pricing and got the car back today free of all charges including a rental for 2 days (which was of course a 7th gen malibu):

1) Transmission maintenance (fluid, filter and gasket) = $290
2) Emissions maintenance = $190
3) Throttle body service = $160
4) Coolant service = $190
Total = $830 (before tax)

I'm going to be performing engine maintenance finally this spring, so i will keep this updated
Good call on not having them do those services. That is some outragious pricing on #2 and #3. The tranny flush and coolant flush seems to be the going rate.

"they changed 2 soleniods, is this what you meant?" - Yes, for your cam sensor codes SLLS is correct, you need to do the solenoid not the sensors. I actually replaced the exhaust cam sensor when those codes showed up but the code remained. I then replaced the solenoid and that fixed it. Again, very easy to change (the sensor was as beast due to the lack of room).

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far so good with the car since they changed the solenoids :)

Would you guys recommend changing the fluid in my transmission? (6 spd)

I know sometimes it can cause more harm than good....

·
Registered
100 Posts
So far so good with the car since they changed the solenoids :)

Would you guys recommend changing the fluid in my transmission? (6 spd)

I know sometimes it can cause more harm than good....
I had ours flushed at 90k miles and had the TCM and ECM re flashed with updates from GM and it helped tremendously. I recommend it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Figured I would revive this thread, my 2009 2LT has now passed 122,000 miles.

1) sun visor doors both broke off - 90k miles
2) both rear brake calipers replaced (one e-brake seized, the other seal broke) - 120k miles
3) low beam headlights replaced twice - 90k, 110k miles (this is a fun job....)
4) 1 tire pressure sensor intermittent - 110k miles (need to replace)
5) keyless entry hard to push unlock (need to replace both sets, will try recommendation early in this thread)

Let me know how you all are doing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a quick update for anyone who is interested, 130,000 miles today.

1) Door speaker (cannot hear when using Onstar and bluetooth)
70,000 miles - Present
CURRENT STATUS: I replaced the speaker with the stock factory replacement. I bought it from the dealer for about $80 I think. Ripoff, but it fixed the problem and was fairly easy to replace after removing the door panel.

2) SES Camshaft position sensor, code P0010 (was intermittent, dealer changed soleniod under 100,000 mile warrantee. have yet to see code come back)
68,000 - 82,000 miles -- issue resolved

3) CD Eject button (does not work when it is cold outside)
40,000 - Present
CURRENT STATUS: still dealing with same problem, but only in the winter :)

4) Driver side door lock (Could not open drivers side door from inside or outside until i fiddled with the lock a few times. This problem happens rarely)
76,000 miles - Present
CURRENT STATUS: This issue went away, and has never happened again.

5) Hard transmission shifts 1-2 (Noticeable in traffic, going up hills and starting from a stop. The dealer looked at this in Jan 2014 and deemed it not an issue since no engine codes were on. They suggested to change the fluid and filter for $300 which I obviously did not do with them)
40,000 miles - Present
CURRENT STATUS: I have still never performed any maintenance on the transmission. Still running fine, but the issues I described above are still there. Seems to slip a bit now, but working fine.

6) Keyless entry very weak (Tried replacing battery, but it did not help. I have been using the spare set since)
75,000 miles
CURRENT STATUS: Replaced with online Keylessfix - Home insert. Still works perfect.

7) Turn signal switch not returning back to middle after left turn, and right turn. issue occurred at
125,000 miles
CURRENT STATUS: Replaced signal switch with amazon replacement for $25. easy replacement. 3 screws on bottom of steering column. The top plastic cover piece was hard to take off, but after adjusting the steering wheel I got it off without breaking the tabs. Also, as I pushed the new assembly into the column, the tabs did not click into place. I actually had to push them into the holes.

8) right front tire pressure sensor does not work in cold weather.
CURRENT STATUS: Still need to replace this.

OK, let me know what you guys think, if you had similar experiences.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,924 Posts
#3:

I had this issue as well. Totally screwed with me for a month. Tried everything to get the stereo working properly to no avail (pulling fuses, disconnecting battery, etc). Then a few months later it started working again, probably temp related like you discovered. You'll have to replace the head unit and get it programmed at a dealership. $600-800 for a new unit online + cost of programming.

#5:

Find a shop that will do a full transmission flush with a machine. You can buy GM automatic trans fluid on amazon for a good price then just pay an hour labor plus $100 or so for the fluid. No disassembly or replacement filter required. The trans filter is not designed to be serviced unless it's a rebuild.

I wouldn't open the transmission unless you intend to replace all the clutch and wave plates because the 3-5-R plate is a weak point and has been redesigned since. You'll know the 3-5-R problem by poor engagement/slipping of reverse (followed by total failure), and poor shifts in and out of 3rd or 5th. If you're only experiencing a hard 1-2 shift, I don't see the reason for the full repair.

#8:

It's normal for tire pressure sensors to need replacement after 10 years. Buy OE replacements online.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had my 09 2.4 since about 54k miles. Currently it sits at 118k.

The transmission went out around 72k miles and was replaced. The ecu went out around 60k. I've replaced just about every sensor and the thermostat twice, although the second time wasn't due to normal failure.

In the beginning I had a lot of problems but after the first year it has smoothed out and has been pretty reliable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
bump.
This car has 153k on it now, here are my new issues:
1) A/C stopped working around 145k, going to try recharge kit
2) Exhaust leak - resonator (middle section) rusted through on top side, need to replace
3) replaced sway bar end links to fix clunking noise

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
Hey 11 year old car with 150k, sounds like time for more maintenance! Based on your history it looks like you've done well tackling one issue at a time and chronicling it all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts