Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately when I try and start the engine the starter runs continuously. no Start. I can turn off the key a couple of times and it will start and run fine. It appears that I am losing fuel pressure and after letting it pressure up it seems fine. I couldn't tell where the gas smell was coming from so I jacked up the car and I can see signs of a fuel leak on the driver side of tank (not enough to drip) and also a little on driver side.
After reading a bit it appears the problem might be the fuel pressure regulator? or maybe not? I also read that there is an inspection plate under the back seat to get to the pressure regulator. Ever hear of this? Some models talk about it all being in the tank itself?
Any ideas or opinions?
Thanks!!

edited to add: This car only has 41,000 on it. Bought from my MIL who quit driving. Strange for such a low mileage vehicle.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,495 Posts
Are there any trouble codes at all?

The idea about it being a bad regulator sounds good, since it also has to keep the residual pressure from bleeding off. But that's what the 2-second priming is for when you turn the key. If turning the key several times is what it takes to prime it, then it could be the pump.

It takes only the smallest amount of gas to have a big smell, so it may be just weeping a bit to give you that sensation. However, any gas not inside the tank needs to have the issue resolved.

I'm not aware of an inspection plate under the rear seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the trouble code yet - I will see about that. I've been thinking about the problem. Since I can see evidence of a small leak on the tank area (not enough to drip) and once started it seems to run fine, I think it might possible a connection to the tank that is leaking? Wouldn't that case a loss of pressure similar to a bad pressure regulator? and could cause a similar problem. I looked at Rockauto and it shows the fuel pressure regulator in the tank with the pump - that wouldn't cause a fuel leak so it must be something external to the tank. Or multiple problems. Does that sound logical?

·
Administrator
18,495 Posts
It has a ring of logic, and fixing what you know is wrong (the wet tank) just might fix the other issue.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
MIL may have driven over a curb at Walmart and wacked the tank. It happens all the time.
Lots of possible connections and componets on top of the tank to leak. Dropping the tank to check / fix a leak then replacing the fuel tank is the right thing to do since it's out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got it fixed. It was the pressure line on top of the pump leaking. Thanks to "thewarriorhunter" for almost a step-by-step procedure he posted, along with pictures, in the Gen 5 & 6 forum. Without that help it would have been a much more difficult task. So Cool!!
Just can't help but wonder why Chevrolet would not put a metal connection instead of plastic on the pump - can't amount to much $$ and would solve the issue. Cheap!

Thanks everyone for the help!!

·
Administrator
18,495 Posts
Thank you for sharing the update, and for letting us as well as all future readers know how to find the fix. Good job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts