Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am brand new to the site and had a few questions about the 2009 malibu/aura and was hoping for some help/insight.

For my job I have a company car and it is time to order a new car. 2 of the choices are the 2009 malibu and the 2009 aura. But it seems that neither one of the options available to me have everything I would want, so I need to decide which one is better.

The 2009 Malibu is the LS with the 1FL package will have the 3.5L V6 and the A4 transmission. The company provided equipment is limited to the standard equipment plus license plate braacket, bodyside mouldings, power driver seat 6-way, and carpeted floor mats. The only options I can choose to add at my cost are an engine block heater or extend the OnStar directions and connections package.

The 2009 Aura is the XE and will have the 2.4L and A6 transmission. The company provided equipment is limited to the standard equipment plus license plate bracket and preferred package (bluetooth, floormats, power driver seat 8-way, leather wrapped steering wheel with audio and cruise controls, and leather wrapped shift knob). The only options I can choose to add at my cost are an engine block heater, extend the OnStar package, and a power sunroof.

So here are my problems:

1. Ideally I would like the V6 engine over the 4 cylinder. I went to a local Saturn dealer who had 2008 auras with both the 4cylinder and 3.5L V6 in stock to test drive them. I drove the 3.5L first and it was nice. I drove the 2.4L next and it was nice too, not much difference overall aside from accelerating from a dead stop. The problem is that the 2008 aura 4 cylinder has the A4 and the 2009 will have the A6. From what I hear, the 2.4L engine with the A6 is not the ideal set-up. Unfortunately there are no 2.4L A6 available to drive.

2. I would also like to have steering wheel audio controls and a sunroof. The sunroof is not essential, but it is nice to have. The steering wheel audio controls I have had in all of my cars since 2004 and I really like having them. They are not available in the Mailbu I can order. Neither is the sunroof.

3. Is bluetooth and USB connection for MP3 going to be standard on the 2009 malibu, or optional? Both are included in the 2009 Aura XE.

Basically, I would prefer to order the Malibu because of the V6 and because I like the look of it slightly better than the Aura. I like the Aura a lot as well, but the Malibu is slightly better looking to me. However, the Aura can be had with steering wheel radio controls, sunroof, bluetooth connectivity, and USB connection for the iPod (charges it, plays it, and transmits, song info to radio display). These are all features that work in the aura's favor.

The big detractor for the aura is the 2.4L with the A6 transmission. It has the TAPshift feature, so if I left it in manual and shifted myself would it minimize the constant shifting of the A6 that people complain about when it is paired with the 2.4L?

Can I buy a malibu steering wheel with audio controls and swap it into the Malibu? Is it a plug and play switch?

Will the 2009 Mailbu have the USB connection for MP3 players as standard equipment?

I am sorry for the long post, but look forward to anyone's help!

thanks

p.s. for colors I am thinking red jewel or black granite for the Malibu and red jewel, carbon flash metallic, or silver for the aura!

·
Registered
795 Posts
p.s. for colors I am thinking red jewel or black granite for the Malibu and red jewel, carbon flash metallic, or silver for the aura!
Red Jewel is a extra cost color. Will your company let you order that color.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Was the Saturn you drove a fleet car? I thought the Aura, like Malibu, only had the 3.6 V6 with the 3.5 only available to fleet buyers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I can answer a few questions...
Bluetooth is standard.
USB connectivity isn't standard in any GM vehicle, at least to my knowledge. Maybe you're talking about the aux. jack located on the front of the radio system?
If the Aura has more of the features that you like, then you should go for it. It'll drive and handle the same as the Malibu, as they're both off the Epsilon platform. The 2.4L ECOTEC I-4 is a very capable engine, don't underestimate it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the Saturn you drove a fleet car? I thought the Aura, like Malibu, only had the 3.6 V6 with the 3.5 only available to fleet buyers.
neither one of the cars I drove were fleet cars, but thye had the 2 engines available to order in my company car.

the 2008 saturn aura XE was available with the 2.4L 4 cylinder and the 3.5L V6. Both came with the A4 transmission.

The 2008 saturn aura XR had the 3.6L V6.

The 2009 saturn XE comes with either the 2.4L 4 cylinder or the 3.6L V6. Both of these engines come with the A6 transmission. The 3.5L V6 was dropped for the 2009 aura.

The model I can order for a company car is only the 2.4L with the A6 transmission.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can answer a few questions...
Bluetooth is standard.
USB connectivity isn't standard in any GM vehicle, at least to my knowledge. Maybe you're talking about the aux. jack located on the front of the radio system?
If the Aura has more of the features that you like, then you should go for it. It'll drive and handle the same as the Malibu, as they're both off the Epsilon platform. The 2.4L ECOTEC I-4 is a very capable engine, don't underestimate it.
So you are 100% sure that bluetooth is standard in the 2009 Malibu? Can you tell me how or where you got this info?

I didn't say it was standard on the 2009 Aura (if I did it was a mistake), but with the Aura the "preferred package" is part of the company car package. The USB port feature is part of the preferred packages according to the 2009 brochure. I downloaded the 2009 aura brochure off of the Saturn website and on page 9 there is a bullet point with a picture of an iPod and it says:

"iPod/MP3 player

We outfitted the aura audio system with an iPod/MP3 auxiliary input jack and an available USB port. Both connect select iPod devices to your vehicle, plus the USB port allows you to control these devices through the radio controls and show playlists on the vehicle dsplay"

I am not ruling out the 2.4L I-4, when I drove the 3.5L and the 2.4L there wasn't much difference, aside from acceleration from a stop and the quicker acceleration in the 3.5L. The fact that the 3.5L V6 MPG is only slightly worse than the 2.4L 4 cylinder leans me toward the extra power of the V6. Also, the 2.4L I drove was a 2008 and had the A4 transmission which no one complains about. The 2009 I can order is only available with the 2.4L and A6 transmission. From what I have read on here, that combo is not the best. I hear that it shifts too often and also shifts hard. I was wondering if using the TAPshift feature would eliminate this. any thoughts?

I like the Malibu because of the 3.5L V6 and I like the looks of it better.

I like the Aura because of the sunroof, audio controls, and bluetooth/USB port.

If the Malibu had the steering wheel audio controls it would be a no brainer. The sunroof is not a deal breaker.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
512 Posts
According to a feature on GMI entitled, "Meet Your 2009 Chevrolet Car Lineup," Bluetooth is standard on the Malibu as well as most GM vehicles.
The USB port must be a new thing. I know it's now available for the Cobalt, but I hadn't heard of it being available on the Aura.

·
Registered
795 Posts
the USB port allows you to control these devices through the radio controls and show playlists on the vehicle dsplay"
This would be a nice feature.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
According to a feature on GMI entitled, "Meet Your 2009 Chevrolet Car Lineup," Bluetooth is standard on the Malibu as well as most GM vehicles.
The USB port must be a new thing. I know it's now available for the Cobalt, but I hadn't heard of it being available on the Aura.
Actually, no, it isn't. It's standard on 2LT and LTZ trims of the Malibu but part of the Power package on the 1LT and not available on LS models.

As for the USB port, not available on the Aura or the Malibu. That's a new item but it's only available on the Cobalt and G5 right now.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Actually, no, it isn't. It's standard on 2LT and LTZ trims of the Malibu but part of the Power package on the 1LT and not available on LS models.

As for the USB port, not available on the Aura or the Malibu. That's a new item but it's only available on the Cobalt and G5 right now.
Aughhh...damn you GM and your complicated ordering packages and whatnot.
Wouldn't it still be standard on the fleet trim? I would hope so, that would make the most sense.

Maybe he's talking about the PAL accessory? That's available for the Aura. And looking at Saturn's website, it fits what he was describing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe he's talking about the PAL accessory? That's available for the Aura. And looking at Saturn's website, it fits what he was describing.
Nope, I know what the PAL is and that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a factory installed USB connection for MP3 players.

The quote that I posted on the 1st page came directly from the 2009 Aura brochure off of Saturn's website and it states that it is part of the preferred package, which is included in the fleet aura order.

Oh well, I guess I will have to ask a few more questions to the fleet manager from my comnpany. I will try and find a 2.4L A6 aura with preferred package and drive it to see for myself!

thanks for the help and insight

·
Registered
701 Posts
So you are 100% sure that bluetooth is standard in the 2009 Malibu? Can you tell me how or where you got this info?

I didn't say it was standard on the 2009 Aura (if I did it was a mistake), but with the Aura the "preferred package" is part of the company car package. The USB port feature is part of the preferred packages according to the 2009 brochure. I downloaded the 2009 aura brochure off of the Saturn website and on page 9 there is a bullet point with a picture of an iPod and it says:

"iPod/MP3 player

We outfitted the aura audio system with an iPod/MP3 auxiliary input jack and an available USB port. Both connect select iPod devices to your vehicle, plus the USB port allows you to control these devices through the radio controls and show playlists on the vehicle dsplay"

I am not ruling out the 2.4L I-4, when I drove the 3.5L and the 2.4L there wasn't much difference, aside from acceleration from a stop and the quicker acceleration in the 3.5L. The fact that the 3.5L V6 MPG is only slightly worse than the 2.4L 4 cylinder leans me toward the extra power of the V6. Also, the 2.4L I drove was a 2008 and had the A4 transmission which no one complains about. The 2009 I can order is only available with the 2.4L and A6 transmission. From what I have read on here, that combo is not the best. I hear that it shifts too often and also shifts hard. I was wondering if using the TAPshift feature would eliminate this. any thoughts?

I like the Malibu because of the 3.5L V6 and I like the looks of it better.

I like the Aura because of the sunroof, audio controls, and bluetooth/USB port.

If the Malibu had the steering wheel audio controls it would be a no brainer. The sunroof is not a deal breaker.

any thoughts?

I can tell you with 100% certaintity that Bluetooth is available on the 09' Malibu, whether it is a standard feature or not, however I do know that it's cost is about $150CDN, not sure which package it is part of.

I would enquire when ordering if you can get the steering wheel controls on the Bu'? I thought and I could be wrong here that they were pretty much a standard option on the Malibu.

Best of luck in making your decision. Please let us know which you opt for.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.