Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Malibu owner. Really like the car except for the fact that there is a substantial blind spot on the driver’s side. I pushed my side view mirrors out (see below) and it eliminated the issue on the passenger side but there is still more of a blind spot on the driver’s side than I’m comfortable with.

Does anyone have any mirror configuration tricks or other tips I can use to help?

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wal-mart and parts stores have small blind spot mirrors. The mirrors have a peel away adhesive on the back. I use the small round spot mirrors on all of my vehicles because they eliminate that blind spot. There is always a little spot on the inside edge of the mirror that is not needed. That's where I put the spot mirrors. Here's a link to an online store that sells them:
http://www.brandsport.com/blspmirost.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
New Malibu owner. Really like the car except for the fact that there is a substantial blind spot on the driver’s side. I pushed my side view mirrors out (see below) and it eliminated the issue on the passenger side but there is still more of a blind spot on the driver’s side than I’m comfortable with.

Does anyone have any mirror configuration tricks or other tips I can use to help?

Thanks,

Jesse

There are many articles and pictures like this on the web.
I did it and really noticed the difference.
The drivers side is much harder to get rite, but don't give up.

Always shoulder check anyway.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4234574.html

I found it handy to have a friend walk up behind the car holding a plank
like a bumper, while setting the mirrors to this style.

When done correctly, you will see the car in your rear view, Just as it leaves it should show in your side mirror.

Search for a few more articles with pic's read them all and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Malibu doesnt have a "blind spot" at all IMHO. You need to adjust your mirrors right and youll will see everything. That popular mechanics article is right on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the blind spot mirrors because I don't have to look over my shoulder. I get creeks in my neck often.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree that the Malibu has more of a "blind spot" issue than many other cars. I went from a Grand Prix to the Malibu and it took awhile to figure out that blind spot. I may try those little blind spot mirrors...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree that the Malibu has more of a "blind spot" issue than many other cars. I went from a Grand Prix to the Malibu and it took awhile to figure out that blind spot. I may try those little blind spot mirrors...
Worst blind spot I've seen in a long time is the mid 90s to early 2k 2dr Blazers. When you try to look over your shoulder all you see is the inside of the angled pillar. There is no real way to glance in those that I could find.

Back on topic though, my 03 I have NO trouble with blind spots...

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Malibu doesnt have a "blind spot" at all IMHO. You need to adjust your mirrors right and youll will see everything. That popular mechanics article is right on.
I'll second that.
Most people adjust their mirrors too far in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have a lot of roads that meet at 40 and 45 degree angles. Having the mirror adjusted so it deals with the blind spot on an average 4-lane highway doesn't handle this. You have to look over your shoulder and the Malibu presents a far bigger blind spot in this situation than other cars I have driven.

·
Registered
573 Posts
We have a lot of roads that meet at 40 and 45 degree angles. Having the mirror adjusted so it deals with the blind spot on an average 4-lane highway doesn't handle this. You have to look over your shoulder and the Malibu presents a far bigger blind spot in this situation than other cars I have driven.
I dont understand how. Its a 4 door sedan. I mean you can even look out the back door window. :p

If it was a coupe with a huge C pillar than I would but even I dont have a problem with it and Im 6'6".

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dont understand how. Its a 4 door sedan. I mean you can even look out the back door window. :p

If it was a coupe with a huge C pillar than I would but even I dont have a problem with it and Im 6'6".
I had a Grand Prix coupe and didn't have this problem. It's mostly trying to see that at that 40 degree angle either out the driver's side, or worse yet, the passenger's side. It's easy enough to wait a couple seconds to make sure there isn't a car in that blind spot, but it's definitely there. It's the pillar behind the back doors that is creating the issue for me. I have no problems with "normal" intersections; but I'm not sure there are any 90 degree intersections anywhere in the entire state of Pennsylvania...:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ahhhh I gotcha.

Try adjusting your mirrors like the PM article. I used to have a Grand Am coupe and it had the worst blind spot until I adjusted my mirrors like so. A lot of people have them adjusted where they replicate the rear view mirror in about 1/2 the mirror so it creates its own blind spot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a Grand Prix coupe and didn't have this problem. It's mostly trying to see that at that 40 degree angle either out the driver's side, or worse yet, the passenger's side. It's easy enough to wait a couple seconds to make sure there isn't a car in that blind spot, but it's definitely there. It's the pillar behind the back doors that is creating the issue for me. I have no problems with "normal" intersections; but I'm not sure there are any 90 degree intersections anywhere in the entire state of Pennsylvania...:)
Our old cars (I also drove a 2D GP GT as my previous vehicle) had those huge 1.5 mile wide doors, so the drivers side blind spot wasn't that big of an issue since the pillar was back farther.

I was able to fix the blind spot on my Malibu for the most part. I had the drivers side mirror configured to point up too far. After adjusting it downward, the blind spot all but disappeared.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.