Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted the car with less than 50,000 km on it but it had a minor leak that wasn't noticeable until last year. There was a rust stain in the fabric, but we thought it might have been hair oil because of who it came from.

When it rains, it drips from the upper corner near the windshield down onto the vents and driver seat. The water soaks the carpet behind the driver seat as well.

This morning the driver seat and floor were completely soaked after a bit of rain overnight.

We've tried checking the windshield and the weather strip, thinking that's where it was from, but found nothing.

We'd like to fix it ourselves because funds are tight, but we aren't sure what to look for and I'm having trouble finding anything online regarding the 2009 model.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Have a sunroof ? If so the drain for it on that side may be plugged or disconnected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a sunroof ? If so the drain for it on that side may be plugged or disconnected.
Yes, there is a sun roof. We will be checking the drains out when my partner gets home from work today. I'm not sure if it was ever checked, or if anything other than oil changes were done, before being given to me.

In the case that it is not a clogged/disconnected/damaged drain, is there anything else we should look at that could be causing it?

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Sunroof Drain Inspection and Cleaning

Drain Hose Routing

Note:
If the headliner is wet DO NOT remove any interior trim. Do the Plugged Drain Hose test first.

A drain trough encircles the sunroof window panel and water is drained off by the drain hoses located at each corner of the housing. A drain channel spans across the sunroof module at the rear of the window panel and directs water into the trough.

1. The front drain hoses are routed down the windshield pillars and out the center of the pillar between the door hinges. The front hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips.
  2. The rear drain hoses are routed through the rear pillars and out of the rocker panel. In some vehicle the drain hoses are routed out through the metal roof slots and routed to the lower wheelhouse to drain out of the vehicle. The rear hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips.
Plugged Drain Hose

If a waterleak has occurred check for a plugged drain hose at each corner of drainage system.

1. Open the sunroof window.
  2. To test for blockage, pour a small container of water into the module housing drain trough. Check each corner to confirm the drain hose is draining water.
  1. Use compressed air, 241 kPa (35 psi) or less to blow out any drain hose that is plugged.
  2. Test the system again.
  3. If the hose remains plugged, check to see it is properly routed and does not have a kink. Refer to Sunroof Housing Front Drain Hose Replacement
  4. Remove the blockage using the following steps.
  1. Push mechanics wire through the hose to remove the obstruction.
  2. Use compressed air in order to blow out any remaining material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.