Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM recalling vehicles to fix shift lever problem
3 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — General Motors Corp. recalled about 277,000 vehicles on Friday because of a potential defect in the shift lever that could cause a vehicle to roll away.

GM said the recall involves 2009 model year versions of the Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu and Traverse; GMC Acadia; Pontiac G5 and G6; and the Saturn Aura and Outlook.

GM spokeswoman Carolyn Markey said about 75,000 of the recalled vehicles had been purchased and the remainder were still at dealerships. Markey said dealers were inspecting the vehicles to see if they had any problems.

No crashes or injuries have been reported, Markey said.

In some cases, the shift lever and the transmission gear's position may not match, meaning a driver could move the shifter to the park position but the transmission gear may not be in park.

The potential defect could lead to a vehicle rolling away and crashing or make it more difficult for the driver to restart the car.

Owners are expected to be notified about the recall in late March. Dealers will inspect the vehicle and may replace the shift cable if necessary.

For more information, owners may contact Buick at (866) 608-8080, Chevrolet at (800) 630-2438, GMC at (866) 996-9463, Pontiac at (800) 620-7668 and Saturn at (800) 972-8876. Consumers may also go to GM's owner Web site at http://www.gmownercenter.com.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a 2009 LTZ in January and I had this problem with my car. I got the car on Thursday and noticed the problem on Saturday. It took them like and hr to fix which wasn't bad. But luckily I didn't cause any accidents.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 09 LTZ is going in on Monday to fix a couple of scratches and a clear bra, I'll mention this to the service rep and see what he says.

Tony

·
Registered
160 Posts
Took it in today for clear bra and other stuff (mostly cosmetic) Didn't even had to ask, the service rep mention the recall as we where walking into the office. So...start making those calls ;)

Tony

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tony, can you post a picture of the work they did on the front (clear bra) so I can see how it looks?

I received paperwork on a bluetooth recall but haven't read it yet, just got it in the mail last night. We haven't had a single problem w/ the bluetooth but maybe we can get a couple things done at once knowing about this shifter issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tony, can you post a picture of the work they did on the front (clear bra) so I can see how it looks?

I received paperwork on a bluetooth recall but haven't read it yet, just got it in the mail last night. We haven't had a single problem w/ the bluetooth but maybe we can get a couple things done at once knowing about this shifter issue.
It may be a while before I can post pictures, they are fixing a couple of minor dents in the front bumper (damage in the lot) so don't know when they'll be able to apply the clear bra :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's too bad about the dents Tony, hope they do a good job for you.

So, what's the consensus here, should I allow them to update our Bluetooth when it is currently working properly? You know what they say, "if it works, don't mess with it." Should I take that approach here or should I chance a working system to be messed with in hopes that it continues to work after they 'fix' it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have to wait for the official paper work for the recall before you can take the car in? Is there a problem with the bluetooth too? I haven't heard that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I can remember to grab the paperwork tomorrow, I'll scan it in and attach as a pdf for you to see. It had my vin number on it so it wasn't "super" generic anyhow.

·
Registered
160 Posts

So, what's the consensus here, should I allow them to update our Bluetooth when it is currently working properly? You know what they say, "if it works, don't mess with it." Should I take that approach here or should I chance a working system to be messed with in hopes that it continues to work after they 'fix' it?
Some members have reported having problems with the BT after months of flawless operation, if it was me, I will have them work on it before the problems shows up. I haven't received anything on the BT but I'll ask when I go pick up my BU. So far my dealer has been more then willing to please me and assured me the repair to the dents will be to my satisfaction. Will see :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry guys, I walked out of the house this morning totally forgetting to grab the recall notice about the BlueTooth. I don't have a scanner at home so what I'll do is just type up the info in it's letter format and post it here when I get the chance this weekend. There was a recall notice number so that's the main part. The fact that the letter was written with my vin number on it seemed strange as though maybe only some cars out there are listed to be among them w/ a certain revision of the software that is susceptible to the problems?!?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just got the bluetooth recall notice this Friday, the Bulletin # is 08-08-46-008 not sure if it has the same number in the US as I am located in Canada. Mine has been working without an issue since day one, so I may just hold off untill the first service and then get it done.

·
Registered
422 Posts

I was thinking the same thing... as my BT worked fine.... until Friday. It wont auto pair anymore, and when I try to do it manually it will connect for a slpit second and then disconnect, every time. I'm going to take it in to the dealer, and while it's there have them check for the trasmission recalls, and anything else I can think of. Any other TSBs out there you guys know of? I have a 2009 2LT 3.6L.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got the notice for the recall on the shift link, however had the shift link cable replaced 3 weeks ago. Not only the notices are late in my case, the dealer couldn't get the parts for 3 days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having my 'Bu in this Thrusday for the interior protection deal. I'm going to mention to them the recall's and make sure mine is already taken care of. Thanks for the info on this guys!

·
Registered
422 Posts
So... the bluetooth worked fine after the update. Then, yesterday (after working in the morning) it stopped working completely. Even with the phone turned off or disconnected the buttons wouldn't function. When I'd hold the BT button, no voice would come on the speakers. Instead it would get quiet, the stereo displayed an arrow or something, and it all locked up. I couldn't disconnect, couldn't cancel out, couldnt change the stereo by pushing buttons, no commands, nothing. I restarted the car and the phone and it still didn't work. Then, hours later, it started working again. Anyone else experience this?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.