Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

2010 chevy malibu 2.4, p1682

29K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  cheffboyarlee 
#1 ·
We have a 2010 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder that has an electrical issue i'm tired of throwing parts at. Anytime your driving the vehicle around and decide to turn on the A/C it will eventually throw a p1682 code forcing the car into engine reduced power mode, making the vehicle run terrible so you have to pull off to the side. If you clear the code and start the car back up it will run just fine. Also if you never turn on the A/C it wont throw that code again. I've also noticed if you turn on the A/C that cooling fans will turn on as they should, but once you turn off the A/C the fans will continue to run and after a little while it will throw the p1682 code. So that rules out the idea that maybe my A/C compressor is bad, forcing the serpentine belt to slip, causing my alternator to not charge properly, making the computer see the voltage drop between the two ignition wires its monitoring. I'm stumped on this one.

So one more time, p1682 only activates when the A/C cooling fans are running (not immediately, but it eventually will, its mostly a guessing game). We've already replaced the cooling fans even though the code is related to a voltage difference between to ignition wires.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Engine-codes.com will give a little more info. . Did you read the fretting corrosion sticky at the top? BCM connector is a source of a lot of weird codes. Connections both power and ground would be a starting point after cleaning BCM connectors. DeOxit is always in my garage for connectors.

#4 ·
Yes I did, turned out to be the fuse box, I didn’t do a good job of diagnosing and just started throwing parts at the car so I couldn’t give you a good direction on what to test to make sure it is that. I purchased a used one off of eBay and it made the issue go away.

#6 ·
I noticed that when I drove the car on a cool day it wouldn’t trigger the code, but as soon as the days temperature started to heat up, coupled with driving around for a few hours the code would set. I believe that one of the fuse boxes internal copper wires would disconnect due to the heat expanding it. There were signs of burnt connections underneath on the female wire harness ( the connector in the photo was the very bottom harness on the fuse box.) hopefully the photo included is viewable.
Square Toy Games Metal

#7 ·
Oh, wow, yeah I can see it, and it doesn't look good. As I'm sure you're aware, discoloration like that is most likely caused by extended periods of high amperage use, but not high enough to blow the fuse.

A junkyard donor fuse box might be a good place for another housing as well as undamaged terminals. If you go that route, clip the wires back a few inches (or as far back as you want), then solder and heat-shrink.

You may also want to consider finding out what all is on those circuits and seeing if there is something aftermarket that has been added, or if something stock is starting to fail but hasn't completely died yet.

#13 ·
Probably best that you replaced it anyhow, since that bolt holding things together may have allowed certain connections to become loose enough to cause overheating of the connectors. The damage may also have prevented a repair from lasting long enough, failing again in too short a time.

Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for coming back to share the solution!

#17 ·
This is happening with my vehicle as well. It started when i was in idle, on park and a/c on. The car was wanting to go like i had the throttle open a little bit. At first i cleaned the throttle body and reset the battery, started up and drove it home. Then i got a knock sensor code so i replaced the sensor. Now when it goes into "limp" mode the engine doesnt shake violently like it was but engine reduce power is definitely still the issue.

#18 ·
I have tried to get the wiring diagrams but all i can get is a screw shot from a video on YouTube. I have a 2012 2.4L. My 2 power wires running from ignition switch to pcm are white and pink. Need to check those circuit voltages, as well as power going to the ecm through both circuits ( fuse 2 and 16). Fuse 16 is connected to the run/crank relay which is the secondary circuit provided to the pcm. I need to check the fusebox for signs of wear/ damage and possibly apply the pcm/ecu comnectors with dielectric grease. I will let you know my status and what i find. Btw i appreciate the tip about resetting the code that allowed me to get home after driving around and getting stuck waiting for my engine to cool down.

#19 ·
Subscription for your car on Alldatadiy.com will give you every diagram and then some. It's the shop manual.
Very few free ones online that are worth a darn.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you might just need it. Bought my car a year ago and still paying on it, however it's past warranty so I'll have to work on it myself. I don't trust the dealer unless I'm bringing in for maintenance on something specific.

And by the way just wanted to add in that I've had to bypass the wire for my fuel pump on my 06 malibu when it wasn't starting and had similar issues but wasn't the same code. The wire and connector kept getting hot and burning causing poor connection, stalling, no start, rough idle,then run fine for a while and stall out. bypassing the fuse box with a fuse, wires and its own ground circuit made a perfect fix. Of course you can't to keep your circuit in line with the fuel pump relay if you are having this issue. Another thing to check.

#21 ·
Fuel pump connector issues are common on a lot of different brands, especially in the salt zone.
I always get a subscription for all my vehicles, 2nd one are cheaper and even if a job is simple I check the manual just to make sure there are no surprises. Cost is cheap enough, I do not like that ''free'' aggravation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.