Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Chevy Malibu LS with around 112,000 miles on it. Ever since I bought it last March I've been having electrical issues with it. Randomly upon starting the gauges would go haywire. The needles jumping up and down constantly, and all the warning lights would come on and error messages would flash across the message screen. The needles would eventually even out and it would be fine. More recently, the car has been doing something similar but a little different. Sometimes upon starting and sometimes will driving, all the needles on the gauges will drop to zero, the check engine light will come on, and I lose power steering. The car also will shift rough and have a hard time accelerating. Now, sometimes this will randomly correct itself and sometimes it won't. I have had success in the past by pulling over, turning the car off and then restarting it and the issue would correct. More recently, if I turn the car off when having these issues, when I go to restart the car I only get a click and no crank. The battery is brand new, and all lights, etc... work but the car will not turnover. One time this happened, I got it to start by just trying the key over and over and over. I've thought that maybe jumping the battery would work, although it's a new battery so that shouldn't be an issue. The only consistent thing I can find that works is just waiting it out, but I don't even know how long it took to correct as I left the car overnight. I would go out, and the car would start right up. I just replaced the battery as it was bad. My research on this issue has provided little information, as there are a lot of different similar problems and all the info has been very vague. From ignition switch, to fuses, to fuse box, to batter, to grounding issues, to the security system, to the BCM. I'm under the impression that it's an issue with the BCM connectors, however I have been unable to find out how to check those connectors. There is nothing out there on how to remove the BCM or what connectors I need to check. If anyone is able to provide any insight into this I would really appreciate it, whether what you believe is the issue, how to fix it, or at the very least what connectors I need to check and how to check them as well as how to remove the BCM.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,949 Posts
Read this post about the issue of fretting corrosion for more info that might help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts