Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had transmission fluid changed but person could find overflow bolt. The transmission is 6 speed. Any help with pictures?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
Discussion moved from Forum Announcements to gen7 section.

Do you mean the fluid level check plug to drain excess fluid? It can be used to drain excess fluid but it isn't called an overflow bolt. If so it is behind the driver side wheel on the 6T40.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
Thread title changed to indicate content.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if I am doing this correctly but I am desperate. I had the transmission fluid changed on 2010 malibu 2.4 and three repair people couldn't find the overflow bolt on the side of the transmission. I was told that it is 6 speed trans and is
t45 trans. The man that drained the fluid did not keep track of how much came out. I am planning a trip but am afraid to drive this any distance.
Any help is deeply appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
Do you not see a plug in the location pictured above? If that is the case, this isn't the 6T40 or 6T45 (which they didn't use this year, thought I do think they used a 4T45). In any case, here is a diag PDF with the complicated overflow check procedure that is applicable to both the 6T40 and 6T45 (see page 58):

There is a fluid check and set procedure guide in the gen9 section applicable to the 3rd gen 6T40... not sure if it works for the original 6T40 but if we can at least establish you have or don't have the fluid check plug that's a start.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,279 Posts
Let me ask a dumb question here.

What letters does your shifter have? P R N D M is a 6-speed. P R N D I L is a 4-speed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
PRNDM. That has never been a question 6 spd
Please answer the questions already asked or this discussion will be closed. I went back and highlighted questions I asked that you have ignored. I am sorry you had a 3 person team of buffoons change your fluid without measuring what they removed but I can't help you (and them) if everything I ask is ignored.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please answer the questions already asked or this discussion will be closed. I went back and highlighted questions I asked that you have ignored. I am sorry you had a 3 person team of buffoons change your fluid without measuring what they removed but I can't help you (and them) if everything I ask is ignored.
Sorry I did not think I did not answer your questions. The bottom line is does the transmission have a overflow bolt or must you measure what you take out and but equal amount back in. I truly appreciate your help and replies.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Here's the specs for all the 6 speed trans for a '09. A '10 should be no different.
6T40 / 6T45
Valve Body Cover Removal5.0-7.0 liters (5.3-7.4 quarts)
Fluid Change - Drain Plug4.0-6.0 liters (4.2- 6.3 quarts)
Overhaul8.0-8.5 liters (8.5-9.0 quarts)
6T70 / 6T75
Overhaul7.0-9.0 liters (7.4-9.5 quarts)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I did not think I did not answer your questions. The bottom line is does the transmission have a overflow bolt or must you measure what you take out and but equal amount back in. I truly appreciate your help and replies.
I forgot to mention even if I am a buffoon i did check the RPO in glove compartment and the only code I found that started with a M was MH8 which I think stands for a 6t40/45 transmission. I am not the most familiar with cars and this site as you can see but I am trying to get to the bottom of this with enough effort that it takes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the specs for all the 6 speed trans for a '09. A '10 should be no different.
6T40 / 6T45
Overhaul8.0-8.5 liters (8.5-9.0 quarts)
6T70 / 6T75
Overhaul7.0-9.0 liters (7.4-9.5 quarts)
I appreciate your reply but the bottom line is does all 6t40/45 have a overflow bolt to measure fluid level. The guys I took it too could not find this bolt. As I checked the RPO in glove compartment there is only one code starting with M and it is MH8 which matches with 6t40/45 transmission

·
Administrator
19,279 Posts
I appreciate your reply but the bottom line is does all 6t40/45 have a overflow bolt to measure fluid level. The guys I took it too could not find this bolt. As I checked the RPO in glove compartment there is only one code starting with M and it is MH8 which matches with 6t40/45 transmission
I wasn't sure that you actually had the 6-speed, but that was because I missed those 2 words ("6 speed") in your original post and saw only "t40" or "t45", which led to my question. But now we are 100% sure it's a 6-speed.

Short answer to your question: Yes.

There is a bolt for draining and another to fill and check the level.

The additional issue is that the trans is supposed to be at normal operating temp and on level ground (or lift). If those guys didn't follow GM's instructions, they may have shot you in the foot. These 6-speeds are fairly sensitive to having the right amount of fluid. Simply not filling it correctly could be most of the issue.

@campb292 has asked if you have been able to see the filling bolt as shown in the image. That will really help to move this discussion forward.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't sure that you actually had the 6-speed, but that was because I missed those 2 words ("6 speed") in your original post and saw only "t40" or "t45", which led to my question. But now we are 100% sure it's a 6-speed.

Short answer to your question: Yes.

There is a bolt for draining and another to fill and check the level.

The additional issue is that the trans is supposed to be at normal operating temp and on level ground (or lift). If those guys didn't follow GM's instructions, they may have shot you in the foot. These 6-speeds are fairly sensitive to having the right amount of fluid. Simply not filling it correctly could be most of the issue.

@campb292 has asked if you have been able to see the filling bolt as shown in the image. That will really help to move this discussion forward.
Thank you much from a 82 year old Buffon . Three guys not me looked and didn't see the overflow bolt. I have to go to church now and pray for a solution and end to this, and a happy ending would be nice.

All thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
Thank you much from a 82 year old Buffon . Three guys not me looked and didn't see the overflow bolt. I have to go to church now and pray for a solution and end to this, and a happy ending would be nice.

All thanks for your replies.
The guys or you need to check for the bolt in the picture at the beginning of this thread. This plug is used to verify fluid level and drain excess fluid. The big problem is, you need to read the transmission fluid temp before pulling the plug. If it is not exactly at 85C-95C (which is not just basic operating temp) and you either drain or add fluid based on a non-specific temp - trans will be dead soon. Overfill creates excess pressure and destroys the control solenoid and seals, too little wears it out fast. I have the entire process that needs to be followed, just need anyone to confirm the plug is there. If it isn't, this isn't a 6T40/5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts