Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu it keeps saying power steering esc off I tried to take it to a Chevrolet dealership but he didn't wanna help me at all he didn't give me any information just a paper and told me it might cost over 2000 for me to get it fix....please can somebody help me where should I take...what should I do

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
Which engine does your 2010 have? What did this paper say? Did they actually look at the car?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
A diagnostic report sounds nice. You might want to share what that DTC report says so someone can offer some advice.

I also updated the discussion title to include that engine info.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
My 2011 3.6L has been doing the same thing for over a year. Most days all I have to do is turn the SW and the 2 messages pop up. Recently, they haven't popped up for days at a time.

It's most likely the SAS — or — the wiring to it. That one item won't likely cost $2ooo, but the rest of the things on that list could run some money, especially since it's a dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how did u fix it where could I take it to that won't charge me so much I wanna just get the power steering fix at least

·
Administrator
19,006 Posts
The PS itself is not the issue since the 3.6L has hydraulic PS, not EPS like the 4-cylinder. It's the SAS (steering angle sensor) or the wiring. What you need to do is to take it to a shop and have them find the actual issue (sensor, wiring, both, something else, or some combination thereof) and fix it.

I don't know for certain what it is since mine still has that issue. But mine also does not have that laundry list of DTCs like yours, so one or more of those DTCs could be related. What seems to be fairly related between most of them is the lack of communication and therefore no data expected by the computer. That leads me to think that a good cleaning of all of the connectors involved (BCM, SAS, etc.) just might solve the problem. Or it could be only partially effective. Or it could be ineffective.

When it warms up around here I plan to take some time and start cleaning mine. Tonight it's snowing (just a little, not a lot) and tomorrow is gonna be below freezing, so I'm not gonna be out there working on my car this weekend with no garage or carport. I don't pay myself, but not paying $100/hour means that what I do keeps me from bleeding to death from my wallet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my power steering loss and the error message power steering service esc. I have a 2010 Malibu LT 4cyl with 117k on it and according to my https://my.chevrolet.com/warranty, (Special Coverage 15356) expired on 8/28/19. This problem started 2 days ago and while it's intermittant, I'm dealing with it while I research what to do. I set up an appointment with my local dealership (hoping they will fix it for free). To be honest I think I'm screwed and want to know if anyone can give me an idea of...... average cost for mechanic? If I choose to do this myself (lol) is it extremely hard to do? If I choose to let it go for a while while I save to get it fix, what can I expect in the way of further problems? ANY info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
19,006 Posts
I have the same issue with my power steering loss and the error message power steering service esc. I have a 2010 Malibu LT 4cyl with 117k on it and according to my https://my.chevrolet.com/warranty, (Special Coverage 15356) expired on 8/28/19. This problem started 2 days ago and while it's intermittant, I'm dealing with it while I research what to do. I set up an appointment with my local dealership (hoping they will fix it for free). To be honest I think I'm screwed and want to know if anyone can give me an idea of...... average cost for mechanic? If I choose to do this myself (lol) is it extremely hard to do? If I choose to let it go for a while while I save to get it fix, what can I expect in the way of further problems? ANY info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
You actually have a different issue. The 3.6L has hydraulic PS and no electric motor under the dash like your 2.4L does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The PS itself is not the issue since the 3.6L has hydraulic PS, not EPS like the 4-cylinder. It's the SAS (steering angle sensor) or the wiring. What you need to do is to take it to a shop and have them find the actual issue (sensor, wiring, both, something else, or some combination thereof) and fix it.

I don't know for certain what it is since mine still has that issue. But mine also does not have that laundry list of DTCs like yours, so one or more of those DTCs could be related. What seems to be fairly related between most of them is the lack of communication and therefore no data expected by the computer. That leads me to think that a good cleaning of all of the connectors involved (BCM, SAS, etc.) just might solve the problem. Or it could be only partially effective. Or it could be ineffective.

When it warms up around here I plan to take some time and start cleaning mine. Tonight it's snowing (just a little, not a lot) and tomorrow is gonna be below freezing, so I'm not gonna be out there working on my car this weekend with no garage or carport. I don't pay myself, but not paying $100/hour means that what I do keeps me from bleeding to death from my wallet.
I have the same problem let me know if what ever u did fix the problem

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I have the same problem let me know if what ever u did fix the problem
Getting the codes read is step one. Without knowing the codes it's guessing game and wasting time/money on unneeded parts.

·
Administrator
19,006 Posts
"ESC" is not a code, it's a system, namely the Electronic Stability Control system.

What he means by getting the "codes" read are the "diagnostic trouble codes", aka DTCs. Get someone with a scanner that can read more than the P codes because you may have issues that generate B, C, or U codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"ESC" is not a code, it's a system, namely the Electronic Stability Control system.

What he means by getting the "codes" read are the "diagnostic trouble codes", aka DTCs. Get someone with a scanner that can read more than the P codes because you may have issues that generate B, C, or U codes.
Okay will try that I'm suppose to bring it in to the dealer ship I got it from an they going to bring it to the shop ill just let them know thanks for advice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts