Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Malibu LS with around 95K on it. I've owned it since new. The drivers seat cushion is awful. Totally flattened out over years of getting in and out and completely destroying my butt and back along the way. I want to "fix" it, but not sure how. Can I just replace the seat cushion? Is this hard to do without specialized tools? I've looked for replacement seats, but they're worse than mine!

If anybody out there has done a similar job, I'd love to hear how it went and actually how to do it. Or if there's another alternative besides buying a new seat, I'm in. This car is pretty beat up, rusting, etc but it still runs well. I don't want to put a ton of money into it obviously, just would like to be more comfy when driving it.

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
You can remove the 2 rear hold-down bolts, then tip the chair forward and remove it from the car. You'll need to unplug the SRS plug and any other power to it.

There are plastic J hooks that you simply pop off to access the foam. There is a metal bar that uses some hooks up through the foam to help hold the center of the seating surface in the middle. Once the cover is off, take the foam to an upholsterer and ask them to cut another, or buy your own and have at it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can remove the 2 rear hold-down bolts, then tip the chair forward and remove it from the car. You'll need to unplug the SRS plug and any other power to it.

There are plastic J hooks that you simply pop off to access the foam. There is a metal bar that uses some hooks up through the foam to help hold the center of the seating surface in the middle. Once the cover is off, take the foam to an upholsterer and ask them to cut another, or buy your own and have at it.
Thank you. So I ordered an OEM replacement foam cushion, removed the seat and then realized the spring under the cushion is broken in 3 places. Ugh. I guess I'll order the spring replacement and try again. What a PITA. It's an old car though, so I guess it is what it is.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
Check the junk yards for those seat pieces. It could be cheaper to disassemble one in the field to get them than to try to find them new and then pay for them, but you won't know until/unless you price them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.