Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents
It's been a long time since I posted a thread. Hope your all doing good.
Today I noticed that while I had the AC running, the temperature gauge started going up. It usually sits in the middle, today it went one up to one hash line before the red.
It was about 75 degrees out and I was doing normal street driving. I got out of the car and smelled antifreeze, but none was leaking. I shut off the AC opened the windows and kept driving; at that point the temperature gauge went to normal (middle hash line). I let the car sit till it cooled off. I checked my Antifreeze level it was good; my oil level was good. I started the car and put the AC on, and both fans are running. The temperature only rises when the AC is on.

Now the radiator was changed about 5 years ago and so was the water pump. The thermostat is original and so it the AC compressor.
The AC comes out cold up until the temperature gauge hits that hash mark right below the red line, then it comes out cool.
I don't know where to start with this one.

Your thoughts welcomed.
Thank you

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guys, before I get into this any deeper could it just be the thermostat? Right now, I'm thinking change the thermostat, water pump, temp sensor, belt and tensioner.
I am looking at $200.00 in parts and about another $300.00 to put it all in by a mechanic.
I did some home soul searching --in repairs annually -- without oil changes I put anywhere from $1700.00 to $2000.00 for a car I do about 7000 miles a year.
So far this year i have gone for $850 between a battery, flex pipe and those stupid tire pressure sensors (3)
I'm wondering if it's worth keeping anymore. Thats why I ask if it's just a thermostat.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Nobody can tell you for sure what the problem is but with the information you have provided, I can tell you what I would do.

Look through the grill and inspect the front of the condenser/radiator combination. Is it plugged with debris such as bugs, leaves and or road grime? Clean it using a vacuum and or small crevice cleaning tool or whatever is best. Gently flush it with a garden hose trying to push debris from the back out towards the front of the rad/condenser assembly.

If the rad/condenser assembly appears to be clean, the next logical part to replace in the thermostat. I would not replace any other parts at this time.

This type of tool may help you clean the radiator of leaves and bigger items.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here is an update :
I take the car to the mechanic, he notices that under AC both fans are running but there was a ticking sound, again the car was running hot, over the temperature gauges mid point .
He tells me you need a new fan assembly, its not sitting right, you may have broken a one of the connectors that sits in the slot. Then he says well if your going to do that you might as well change the thermostat and lower and upper hoses. He tells me in parts and fluids your looking at about $300.00 , but that's not the issue he says its the time it will take. Of course I say why, basically he explains that to get to the radiator fans , you need to take the whole front of the car apart and its about a 3 to 4 hour job at $95 bucks an hour. I'm potentially looking at an $700.00 bill here with taxes and fees.
Does this sound correct ? -- Your thoughts.

Mind you without the AC on the car runs fine -- no over heating.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure without seeing inside car. If coolant levels are good and don't see any leaks. If you start the car with it running under hood see if you can hear that ticking noise. My temperature gauge sits at mid range especially in these hot temperatures. Usually when thermostat goes it would be stuck closed which would over heat the car, if stuck open it would be very cold on the temperature gauge. I would look at the hoses to the thermostat and radiator for leaks or cracks. If you can try to get another opinion from another mechanic. If the other mechanic says the same than you would know. I hope you able to find out what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
So here is an update :
I take the car to the mechanic, he notices that under AC both fans are running but there was a ticking sound, again the car was running hot, over the temperature gauges mid point .
He tells me you need a new fan assembly, its not sitting right, you may have broken a one of the connectors that sits in the slot. Then he says well if your going to do that you might as well change the thermostat and lower and upper hoses. He tells me in parts and fluids your looking at about $300.00 , but that's not the issue he says its the time it will take. Of course I say why, basically he explains that to get to the radiator fans , you need to take the whole front of the car apart and its about a 3 to 4 hour job at $95 bucks an hour. I'm potentially looking at an $700.00 bill here with taxes and fees.
Does this sound correct ? -- Your thoughts.

Mind you without the AC on the car runs fine -- no over heating.

Thanks
What the mechanic proposes to do sounds reasonably and $700 to do this job properly is a fair price.

I do see another possible way this could be addressed but none of us have had a look at your car the way the mechanic has had opportunity to do
If the fan is not damaged and just improperly mounted, perhaps it is possible to shift the fan assembly to the correct position and secure it there with a few heavy zip ties.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I finally got this repair done. I replaced the thermostat with its housing, upper and lower radiator hoses, flushed the antifreeze and did a Mobil one oil change. All parts where AC DELCO and the Antifreeze was Shell Brand DEX COOL (5 yr on sale) . Drove the car with AC on and it didn't heat up, but I will wait for a hotter day.

Parts=200.00
Mechanic labor (3.5 hours) and oil Change + tax =500.00
Total 700.00

Never a dull moment with this car!

I will keep you posted -- I will wait for the next 90 + degree day to see how she reacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts