Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my first car pretty soon (and by pretty soon I mean like in a FEW DAYS) and I have always loved the Chevy sedans. We looked at a '10 Malibu and '10 Impala. I think both are 1LT, but the cloth seats are a joke so I would be replacing the seats with a $1200 set from Chevrolet for either car. With a trade-in and rebate and a bunch of other stuff, the Impala comes out to about $19k and the Malibu around $18k. What do you guys think I should choose? I've always loved the Malibu but the Impala was great as well. What are your thoughts?

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
The Impala is a OLD platform, doesn't handle as good, doesn't have as nice of an interior and doesn't look as good. Only advantage the Impala has is a smoother ride.

If your gonna spend $1200 on seats, plus got knows what to install them, I would just step up to a 2LT with the ultralux seats.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Personally I have to disagree with you Silver. I drove a 2010 Impala less than a month ago that was a dealership loaner and I was quite impressed with the car. Yes the ride was very smooth but still slightly stiffer than my malibu. And as far as handling goes it handled quite well. Where I live we have a corner that is sharper than 90 degrees and that Impala handled it like a champ and the steering response was incredible. I was quite impressed with it and it will make my choice difficult when I do decide to buy or lease a new car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey everyone, we are going back to the dealership today. Silver LTZ me and my mom convinced my dad to consider the LTZs but nothing is for sure yet. I am going after school to drive and look at them. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
Personally I have to disagree with you Silver. I drove a 2010 Impala less than a month ago that was a dealership loaner and I was quite impressed with the car. Yes the ride was very smooth but still slightly stiffer than my malibu. And as far as handling goes it handled quite well. Where I live we have a corner that is sharper than 90 degrees and that Impala handled it like a champ and the steering response was incredible. I was quite impressed with it and it will make my choice difficult when I do decide to buy or lease a new car.
You drive a 2005 Malibu. You can not compare that to a 2008-2011 at all, which is exactly what the OP was asking about.

Also, no offence, but if you think the Impala has "incredible" steering response you haven't driven a car that actually does.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Malibu... all the way, unless you are getting an Impala SS. I test-drove an Impala LTZ and my Malibu back to back. The Malibu has better handling, gets better fuel mileage, is quieter and has much more comfortable seats.

With Impala you are looking at a design that is 5 years old and is still using an antiquated 4-speed automatic when every other car in the segment uses at least 5 speeds, and many 6.

It was really the "old tech" that pushed me away from Impala and into Malibu.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
With Impala you are looking at a design that is 5 years old and is still using an antiquated 4-speed automatic when every other car in the segment uses at least 5 speeds, and many 6.
While I see your point here, at least with GM, I would rather their A4 then the A6. It is the one aspect of my car I dislike, the POS shift programing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Silver, I will agree with you that the programming of the A6 leaves a lot on the table... but IMO it is still an improvement over the old A4 that had been around since the 90's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You drive a 2005 Malibu. You can not compare that to a 2008-2011 at all, which is exactly what the OP was asking about.

Also, no offence, but if you think the Impala has "incredible" steering response you haven't driven a car that actually does.
You are quite right the 05 that i have is the first car i have ever owned and I consider the steering responst to be lackluster at best and therefore I don't have a lot of experience with cars to base some of my opinions on. I have not driven any real performance based cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone, just in case anyone was wondering I ended up getting a gold mist metallic '10 Malibu LTZ with the brown/coco interior. I get to pick it up tomorrow, I'm so excited!!! Thanks a million for all of your input.

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
Well, it's been several days now, so once you're done with the honeymoon, post up some pics for the rest of us to see.

Congrats on the great purchase!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
Thanks everyone!! Got the car Friday and am absolutely LOVING IT! Every day I find something new that is great about it and all of my friends love it too. Never looking back and thinking about the Impala (don't want to anyway!) because I loove my Malibu!!

Here are some pics!

http://a.imageshack.us/img185/7544/img0910j.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4467/img0920u.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8503/img0911ur.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7327/img0918n.jpg
Car looks good, but OMG that is the largest dealer sticker I have ever seen!

Take a hair dryer to that thing and take it off. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Car looks good, but OMG that is the largest dealer sticker I have ever seen!

Take a hair dryer to that thing and take it off. :D
Tell me about it!! At least it isn't an actual plaque that is like plastered on to the car. We have one dealership that puts it right over the make and model, it's so obnoxious.
(Added more pics btw!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was in a 2009 Impala SS Black with Black interior 14K on the dash.. Drove it for an hour.. Picked my wife up for lunch and let her drive it.. She said that the Impala seemed like an old folks car on the inside not much flare or styling and she said the grille on the Impala looked like an old Chevy and not like one of the new ones in the equinox/silverado/avalanche/traverse.. She loved that V8 though, and so did I.. The next day I came up to her work for lunch in a 2011 Malibu LTZ Black Granite.. She loved the silver grille, loved how soft the leather was, and the curves on the dash and dash trim.. She believed it was a pretty close with the 3.6 V6 against the Impala's SS V8.. I loved the torq on that Impala SS, but that was all that I loved about the car.. I love so much about my Malibu from the grille, to the rear, to the interior, even the steering wheel.. The only thing I would like to have waited for was to have found a Black on Black G8 V8 GT or GXP Automatic... That car is nice and is a real rocket.. Wonder how it will hold it's value over the next four years though.. ??? I couldn't find a low mileage G8 V8 GT for less than I paid for my 2001 LTZ

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
Beautiful! I hope you stay happy with it like so many here. Thanks for the pics!

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
The only thing I would like to have waited for was to have found a Black on Black G8 V8 GT or GXP Automatic... That car is nice and is a real rocket.. Wonder how it will hold it's value over the next four years though.. ???
Resale is alot better then a Malibu. I love the G8 GT's, and almost bought one. But they have alot of small issues and parts are hard to come buy so I passed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
Silver LTZ
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing