Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 LT with 60k on it. Recently I noticed that (sorry, I’m really bad with cars. Forgive me) when the rpm gauge hits 1.5-2.5 the car doesn’t accelerate as fast as it used to? It seems like it’s having a hard time shifting. I took it to a mechanic who couldn’t replicate the issue (it happens on the freeway so I think maybe he wasn’t going fast enough) and the car isn’t throwing any codes, so he told me to come back after I can get it to do either of those things.

I read a few other tranny issue posts here and called some dealers about the wave plate. The first one gave me two part numbers (24230818, 24230753) but couldn’t tell me if they were updated or not, and the second dealer I called initially couldn’t find the plate but then said it only has one waveplate and gave me a different part number (24271971).

At this point I’m way out of my wheelhouse and terrified since our other car JUST had the transmission fail so it’s sitting because we can’t afford to fix it or a different one. Can anyone tell me if I’m sitting on a landmine, or what I should be looking for, or even if I should just trade it in and eat the higher monthly payment cost?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
You can be affected by the 3-5-R Wave Plate (WP) issue only if you have the 6-speed transmission. Does your car have the paddles on the steering wheel or the button on the side of the shifter? If so, it's a 6-speed. Still not sure? Does your shifter say P R N D M? If so, it's a 6-speed. The LT probably is the 6-speed, so you just have to figure out which trans you have.

If you call a dealer, ask if the 3-5-R Wave Plate recall was ever done, using your VIN.

Sometime during the 2010 models, the WP had been upgraded and there were no further issues that I've seen reported on CMF. (A nod to @campb292 and @cp-the-nerd for their input on that matter.)

Check the build date of your car. If it's during mid-2009, there may be a WP issue. If it's during 2010, especially later into Spring, you should be good. Not sure of the actual time when the WP update was made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car does have the shifter button, and the little paddles. How would I go about checking the build date? And is there a certain type of dealer that I have to call to check on recalls? The two that I spoke to didn’t seem to have information besides the part numbers.

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
The build date: Open the driver's door and check the label. Mine says August 2010.

Font Material property Rectangle Gas Magenta

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
No.

If it was mid-2009, so around June or July.

Because I'm not sure of the timeframe on when the change happened that corrected the issue, I also indicated that sometime around Spring of 2010 or later would likely indicate that you have no concern.

Between mid-2009 and Spring of 2010 there exists the possibility. Yours is late 2009. The chances grow slimmer the later it was built.

If you call a Chevy dealer, and probably any dealer that sells and/or services any GM vehicle, you can provide your VIN and ask them to tell you if your vehicle had the WP service performed, or if it was excluded due to the date of manufacture.

The gauge that shows the RPMs is called a tachometer. Most folks just say "tach". On the face of the gauge it should indicate something like "RPM x 1000", which tells you that 1.5 indicates 1500 RPM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts