Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 chevy malibu
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2010 chevy malibu off somebody. But i realized it has 4 different sizes. 3 of them are 245/35 ZR20 but 1 is 95 Y XL. 1 is 95 W. 1 is 95 W XL. And the 4th tires is 245/40 ZR20 99 Y XL. Can somebody please tell me if that will mess up my car? And my car is starting to shake a little is that due to the tires?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,964 Posts
It won't mess it up as far as the differences in the sizes are concerned. You have two sizes, not 4. They are 245/35R20 and 245/40R20. The other descriptors that you shared (ZR, 99, 95, Y, W, XL) just tell you characteristics of the tires, such as load capacity.

The wheels are too large and were not one of the stock sizes offered, which were 16, 17, and 18.

Are you sure it's a 2010? I have a 2011 with the V6 and the stock tire size is 225/50R18. I currently have a set of 235/45R18 tires on it.

If you got to Discount Tire or any other tire or wheel seller, you can select your car and see what sizes are known to fit and how much bigger your tires are from the largest stock size offered. When you know that difference, you'll know how far off your speedometer is and how much extra stress it's your engine and transmission have to endure. While you're there you will see those other descriptors and you'll understand more about the tires you have.

What size engine to you have? If you're not sure, lift the hood and look at the emissions sticker. It'll tell you the displacement, which will be either 2.4L 4-cylinder (most common), a very uncommon 3.5L V6, and the 3.6L V6.

With that, others will be able to answer you more completely.

·
Registered
2010 chevy malibu
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checking tires right now and my brake is a lil loose is it suppose to be like that

·
Registered
2010 chevy malibu
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won't mess it up as far as the differences in the sizes are concerned. You have two sizes, not 4. They are 245/35R20 and 245/40R20. The other descriptors that you shared (ZR, 99, 95, Y, W, XL) just tell you characteristics of the tires, such as load capacity.

The wheels are too large and were not one of the stock sizes offered, which were 16, 17, and 18.

Are you sure it's a 2010? I have a 2011 with the V6 and the stock tire size is 225/50R18. I currently have a set of 235/45R18 tires on it.

If you got to Discount Tire or any other tire or wheel seller, you can select your car and see wphat sizes are known to fit and how much bigger your tires are from the largest stock size offered. When you know that difference, you'll know how far off your speedometer is and how much extra stress it's your engine and transmission have to endure. While you're there you will see those other descriptors and you'll understand more about the tires you have.

What size engine to you have? If you're not sure, lift the hood and look at the emissions sticker. It'll tell you the displacement, which will be either 2.4L 4-cylinder (most common), a very uncommon 3.5L V6, and the 3.6L V6.

With that, others will be able to answer you more completely.
Its a 6 cylinder. And now these dumb guys checking my tire are saying that the brake is loose. But when i was driving the brake didnt give me any trouble. Should i tell them to leave it alone

·
Registered
2010 chevy malibu
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somebody give me advice i got these dumb guys checking my front drivers side tire and their saying that the brake is loose. But when i was driving the brake didnt give me any trouble. Should i tell them to leave it alone? OMG I THINK THEIR MESSING MY TIRE N BRAKE UP! THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,964 Posts
We're not there, so if you think that they are not capable of doing the job, take it elsewhere. Have them lift the car and then come get you and show you what is wrong. Make them prove it rather than just expect you to have faith.

You just bought the car, so it has miles on it and the wheels are larger than most would have, including me.

The vibration or shake that you spoke about could be from suspension parts that are worn enough to cause it or from tires that are not well balanced. It could be several things causing it.

But step one is to get it to a shop you trust, get some good information, then make a choice and take the action. An old adage says, "Plan your work, work your plan." It applies in this case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts