Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ 3.6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light recently came on during a long, easy drive and upon scanning found two codes; p0011 and p0014. I cleared them and they returned a handful of km's later. I always change my oil and filter on or ahead of schedule using full synthetic 5W/30 and engine flush every 3rd or so change. I keep my intake filter fresh, fuel system clean, just generally mindful of engine health overall so I am doubtful there is any sludge buildup. The car has about 177,000 km on it and runs smooth as silk. I'm wondering if this is indicating that i need to replace the camshaft sensor seeing as it is referring to both cam and exhaust solenoid position? I haven't detected any noticeable loss of power or fuel consumption, mind you its only been a couple of days with the engine light on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My check engine light recently came on during a long, easy drive and upon scanning found two codes; p0011 and p0014. I cleared them and they returned a handful of km's later. I always change my oil and filter on or ahead of schedule using full synthetic 5W/30 and engine flush every 3rd or so change. I keep my intake filter fresh, fuel system clean, just generally mindful of engine health overall so I am doubtful there is any sludge buildup. The car has about 177,000 km on it and runs smooth as silk. I'm wondering if this is indicating that i need to replace the camshaft sensor seeing as it is referring to both cam and exhaust solenoid position? I haven't detected any noticeable loss of power or fuel consumption, mind you its only been a couple of days with the engine light on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
I have the same engine with code P0011. And an evap system leak code P0455. For the P0011 it found it's likely the variable cam solenoid and mine is on bank 1. I have to do the replacement because the engine life could be affected, but mostly because I live in California and the car won't pass smog now so it can't be registered until it's fixed.

Though there aren't any good videos online I did find a post on this forum from 1/15/2016 by "cp-the-nerd":

"There are 4 VVT solenoids on the V6. Two banks of cylinders, one intake solenoid on each side and one exhaust on each side.

This is the left bank of cylinders. The plug in the middle pointing up is one solenoid, the plug at the bottom pointing left is the other solenoid. The other bank is a mirror image. You can't miss them if you're looking at the timing chains side of the engine."

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ 3.6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay it's time for an update! I ended up noticing my oil level was a little bit low, so I topped up my levels and it seemed to clear up the codes. After about 500 km of normal driving, a NEW code came up; P0046. Along with this code I had noticed that my car was not starting up right away every time I filled up with gas. I ordered a new EVAP purge valve along with my new pads and rotors when it was time to do that job (more on that in a future post), and voila! No more codes, no more trouble at all. I'm thinking it could have been the low oil level along with the EVAP issues that threw me a wonky diagnosis?? Either way, problem solved!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.