Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu LS, 4 cylinder. Last summer June 2020 my car was stalling so took to get fuel injectors cleaned which stopped it from stalling. My car now has 148,000 miles so it also had a tune up with new ac delco plugs. Last year some weird or odd things were happening when I took a road trip 300 miles away on the return trip esc, service traction lights would stay on. I had to pull over disconnect battery and try tonclear computer. This would happen on the return trip on another trip. I was just happy to get home but I had to disconnect the battery to clear codes to get home. The next day I noticed that the mileage also stopped working from that ordeal so Itook my car to Chevy dealer to find out what was the problem. They did reset the mileage to get it working and said they fixed the problem with lights traction service and esc. I did not drive my car much since teleworking but when driving 300 miles that is when issues started. I took my car back to the same Chevy dealer Once more in 2020 about the same issue with the SVC traction and esc lights. The service manger no longer worked there and the new service manager wanted to charge me for another engine scan. This new manager said the first time my car was missing 2 fuses 5 and 6.I told him that I brought back because it was never fixed from the first time. So I decided to take my car to another reliable mechanic. I told him about taking my car to dealer who said I needed a tune up and mechanic said it did not need a tune up he scanned my engine. I had my battery replaced and this mechanic notice the battery terminal was smaller. He checked out all my electrical wires and put a sham in so terminal had no play. This stopped all those svc traction and esc lights Tom coming on.
Now 2021 I got my serpentine belt replaced last week. The check engine light went on after it was replaced to returned and mechanic cleared the code. My car idles rough at stop lights and sometimes stalls. It runs fine on highway had a tune up last year, throttle was cleaned with throttle body cleaner and even the MAF was cleaned with MAF cleaner. So why is it running rough an stalling usually when hot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2011 Chevy Malibu L S 4 cylinder runs rough at idling at stop light and sometimes stalls. There are no lights or codes in computer. Had serpentine belt replaced June 30, 2021 runs great on highway. It happens when it is hot outside. Also sometimes not always when I start it
Without my foot on the gas the rpm revs up on its own but goes back down. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
190 Posts
WARNING: I am NOT a mechanic, just a DIY monkey.

You could have a vacuum leak. I had a fuel pressure regulator go out on an old car of mine and the vacuum hose was sucking fuel through the regulator which was not fun at stop lights. Does your car idle better in park or Neutral? Did you clean the throttle body or did someone else do it?

Spark plugs fouled up or gapped wrong?
Air filter clogged?
fuel pressure good?
Vacuum leaks?
sticky/dirty Throttle body?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WARNING: I am NOT a mechanic, just a DIY monkey.

You could have a vacuum leak. I had a fuel pressure regulator go out on an old car of mine and the vacuum hose was sucking fuel through the regulator which was not fun at stop lights. Does your car idle better in park or Neutral? Did you clean the throttle body or did someone else do it?

Spark plugs fouled up or gapped wrong?
Air filter clogged?
fuel pressure good?
Vacuum leaks?
sticky/dirty Throttle body?
Thanks well ran good a few days but today had it idling in park and it started to get rough.
Just replaced New air filter, last year hung 2020 had fuel injectors cleaned by a shop, also Got throttle cleaned, got new ac delco spark plugs replaced.
How did you check for vacuum leaks? Today when ran rough svc traction light came on.
I cleaned the throttle body. Yes removed throttle it 4 bolts and used a rag with throttle cleaner
With sensors disconnected.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
You removed the TB to clean it? You probably did a very thorough job, since most of us clean it while still on the car. It's possible that there is a vacuum leak from doing that. Did you re-use the old gasket or install a new one?

Get a can of engine cleaner (not the foamy type), or even just a spray bottle of water, and spray all around the TB. If the idle changes, then that's where the leak is. With a regular water bottle, you can put 1, 2, or 3 little holes in the cap and just squeeze it if you don't wanna spray it. No matter what, just continue to be careful of getting any electronics flooded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You removed the TB to clean it? You probably did a very thorough job, since most of us clean it while still on the car. It's possible that there is a vacuum leak from doing that. Did you re-use the old gasket or install a new one?

Get a can of engine cleaner (not the foamy type), or even just a spray bottle of water, and spray all around the TB. If the idle changes, then that's where the leak is. With a regular water bottle, you can put 1, 2, or 3 little holes in the cap and just squeeze it if you don't wanna spray it. No matter what, just continue to be careful of getting any electronics flooded.
Thanks for this great idea. I noticed from air cleaner to throttle feel air. Today I took off the MAF and cleaned with MAF cleaner. I read on the can clean every time you change the air filter. I used the same gasket. I will try your idea tommorrow.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I read on the can clean every time you change the air filter.
I dont think it is necessary to clean the MAF every time you change the air filter. If my understanding is correct, the MAF sensor is sensitive and repeated handling increases the risk of breaking breaking it. Also, because your car is not throwing codes or check engine lights I don't think the MAF is your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think it is necessary to clean the MAF every time you change the air filter. If my understanding is correct, the MAF sensor is sensitive and repeated handling increases the risk of breaking breaking it. Also, because your car is not throwing codes or check engine lights I don't think the MAF is your problem.
Thanks. I’ve only cleaned the MAF once in ten years. I ordered Tb gasket which will be delivered by Thursday. The dealer had to replace MAF on my car under warranty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I’ve only cleaned the MAF once in ten years. I ordered Tb gasket which will be delivered by Thursday. The dealer had to replace MAF on my car under warranty
Hi today my car has a P0106 code manifold absolute pressure sensor performance. First time
Is there a check I can do?

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
You got a MAP code, then the sensor is bad. They are a hard sensor to diagnose unless you have a very good high end scan tool.
In the off topic section I wrote up what I just went through with one on my Tahoe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got a MAP code, then the sensor is bad. They are a hard sensor to diagnose unless you have a very good high end scan tool.
In the off topic section I wrote up what I just went through with one on my Tahoe.
Today I took my car to a shop they scanned the car and no codes found. I trust this man last year started getting svc traction lights coming on and he tested for me. He even replaced with map sensor and that was not the problem. Ever since the battery was replaced one Post smaller and he put a shim in post. It stopped a lot of lights coming on. Could this happened if someone overfills the gas tank? Got gas yesterday and hubby said he overfilled it? I know my sister has a 2001 Malibu and her check engine came on and mechanic could not find any problems either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts