Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this car, it’s got good tires & engine, (no check engine light), when it even gets a drop of rain on it will slide. The first week I had it, I was driving on a ramp on to the interstate and I slid almost completely sideways. I was wondering if it was a weight issue, or just the car itself? What can be done about it? Or just any information at all! Please & Thank you!
the car has 109,800 miles on it very well taken care of! & I’ll continue to do so!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts
"Good" is probably being determined by how much tread is showing. By your description, they perform poorly.

On my first Malibu, a 2009, the tires were the Goodyear Eagle LS2 models. They were okay, but not really "good".

At 20,ooo miles I traded it for a brand new 2011 that came with the same tires. By 10,ooo miles, I had those taken off for a set of Hankook Optimo H727 tires, but they were just about as bad. I was going at the posted speed for an off-ramp. At the bottom of the ramp was a right turn that dumped onto a surface street. When I turned the wheel, the car went straight! Had there been any cars there, it would have ended in a collision. The thing is, it hadn't been raining for several days, and at most there was a little dew from overnight and it was already late morning.

Right away I started looking for a replacement car or replacement tires. I ended up with a set of Michelins and learned a valuable lesson: Don't risk my health and life, or that of others, just to be able to tick the box that says "Good tires".

What brand, model, and size are your tires?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,560 Posts
The car isn't responsible for hydroplaning, your tires are the problem. Just because they have tread doesn't mean they're good or safe tires. Get a set of continentals or michelins.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Front wheel drive cars are more prone to hydroplaning as the front tires do 2 functions of drive and steering.
Tire quality and tread depth are more important with FWD than rear wheel drive along with reduced speed in rain with FWD vs RWD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts