Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Malibu LS 2.4L. It would crank but not fire. Pulled the fuel pump relay and put back in and was able to get it started and drove to shop. They replaced relay and started fine. Took home and it wouldn't fire again just crank. Pulled fuel pump relay out and it started and then died. Put relay back in and it started up. Took to shop again and they removed and replaced fuse box in the trunk. They said the fuse for the defrosters was melted. Again started up at the shop and brought it home and after sitting overnight it wouldn't start in the morning. Since then I can get it started by pulling the fuel pump relay, starting it (then it will die), replacing the relay and it will start and then run. I can then drive it around and turn it off and it will start but after sitting overnight I have to pull the relay again. I have put more money into it than I would like already. If the fuel pump needed to be replaced I wouldn't think it would start up at all? Could it be a short? If so how would I go about finding it?

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,014 Posts
Did your shop or you scan the car for trouble codes? If not, start there. It's a computer on wheels and you need to be able to read what's going on before shooting the Parts Cannon at it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The codes they reported were P0230 fuel pump relay control circuit malfunction, P2119 throttle closed position performance, P0300 random cyl misfire, P0131 heated oxygen sensor.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Malibu LS 2.4L. It would crank but not fire. Pulled the fuel pump relay and put back in and was able to get it started and drove to shop. They replaced relay and started fine. Took home and it wouldn't fire again just crank. Pulled fuel pump relay out and it started and then died. Put relay back in and it started up. Took to shop again and they removed and replaced fuse box in the trunk. They said the fuse for the defrosters was melted. Again started up at the shop and brought it home and after sitting overnight it wouldn't start in the morning. Since then I can get it started by pulling the fuel pump relay, starting it (then it will die), replacing the relay and it will start and then run. I can then drive it around and turn it off and it will start but after sitting overnight I have to pull the relay again. I have put more money into it than I would like already. If the fuel pump needed to be replaced I wouldn't think it would start up at all? Could it be a short? If so how would I go about finding it?
I had same/similar issue 3 years ago. Unbelievable amount of work I did to replace the fuel pump, which in the end I think was not the problem. I had code P0230 show on one of the intermittent no start conditions after replacing that pump. It ended up being the wire connector under the vehicle for the fuel pump motor was scorched across the power pins. This is the connector on the passenger side that has several circuits in it, like the fuel pump power, tank level, and I think the pressure sensor if I recall correctly. When I opened it up to inspect, I realized why I was having continuity problems when checking the pump motor circuit from the trunk relay socket. I ended up cutting the motor power wires on the outside of the connector shell and resplicing them with butt splices and waterproof shrink tubing. No problems since with that circuit. To me, GM had too small of wire AND power pin connectors to handle the fuel pump motor current. Wish I had troubleshot that intermittent code before I had replaced the pump. Horrible job on my back in my driveway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts