Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My issues started with the driver low beam going out twice. But it wasn't until the 2nd time changing it that i found that the connector was burned out. Changed it and a new bulb, then goes the passenger side. Changed bulb and purchased a new connector being proactive then about 1 month later the new connector to the low beam on the passenger side has burned out. I'm checking the voltage output today, but anyone with the same issues/solution?

Edit: Forgot to add: GEN 7 2011 Malibu LT

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
Hey, I feel your pain! I have a 2011, too.

Your low beams are used as DRLs (daytime running lights) in addition to low beams at night, so they're burning the whole time your car is running. The DRL power, though, is supposed to be low enough that the lights look a little orange-ish. Mine never did so maybe my DRL power was too high.

However, I modified my car to use the turn signals as DRLs because the amber lights are more easily detected by the human eye in the daytime, and the bulbs are a lot less costly than headlights!

You'll want to check the voltage at each bulb when the engine is running and the headlights are on. If the voltage is low enough then the amperage is elevated, making the sockets have to endure more heat than desirable. If you find that to be so, you may want to run larger wire from the relay to each headlight. If you're really into doing it even better, put a single relay at each headlight and have the stock wire turn it on, which will then turn on the headlight bulb with full power from the battery.

If the voltage seems to be proper, check the socket terminals to see if they are tightly engaging the plug. Loose terminals or terminals that don't make a solid connection can/will increase the resistance, which turns them into heat producers instead of a connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DrivenDaily for the advice! I will try that out and give an update.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
You said you didn't notice the problem until the second time you changed the low beam bulb. What brand/type of headlight bulb are you using?

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
I had a feeling you'd say that, based on the issue. SilverStar is a notoriously bad brand. I bet if you replace the connectors again and use OEM bulbs, you'll never have another problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll definitely try that and give feedback while checking my alternator voltage output. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
Without fail, whenever someone on this site has similar headlight problems it turns out to be SilverStar bulbs.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
It has been so long since I tried SilverStar Ultra bulbs that I forgot that they die in a year or less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts