Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to swap my 2011 Malibu ls cloth interior for a leather interior has anyone done this what’s my best option

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,375 Posts
I can speak in both directions.

I took the leather out of my 2011 LTZ and swapped in cloth from a 2009.

I sold my leather, including the front frames and mechanisms, to @!Tommy, who upgraded his from cloth to leather. He now has an Impala and his modified Malibu sold almost as he was leaving the lot. He can tell you more about that, which is your actual question.

When installing any seats from a donor vehicle, count the number of wires on the airbag connector. The 2011 has 4, but the seats from a 2009 have only 2. The 2 extra wires are for the seatbelt pre-tensioner that the 2009 does not have. I drive every day with the airbag MIL glaring red at me.

The rear seats are easy peasy.

If you swap in leather for cloth, you'll need to add power for the heated seats and for the adjustment. If wiring is not your strong suit, consider paying to have it done right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have clothe seats and I want to upgrade to the leather but in West Virginia you can’t pass inspection with any airbag lights on so and Wiring is not my strong suit so my main question is if I find 2011 leather seats can I install them and then ride to a shop and have them wire something up to get the airbag light to go away ?

·
Administrator
17,375 Posts
The airbag wiring is already there. The airbag light will NOT be lit IF you get seats from another 2011 or 2012. I believe that 2010 may also work, but not sure.

What you'll need to have wired is the power to the seat motors and the heated seat modules. These will not turn the MIL on.

·
Administrator
17,375 Posts
Inspect them thoroughly before buying them!

Thoroughly!

Plug in the motors and heated seats to make sure they work as they should and that the seat moves quietly and smoothly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever heard of the manual climate control being changed to the auto climate control ?

·
Administrator
17,375 Posts
Have you ever heard of the manual climate control being changed to the auto climate control ?
Unfortunately, no.

I have ACC and would prefer MCC myself. The two systems are so similar on the face but so different under the hood that it would be more difficult than it's worth to change it.

Just for the fan speeds alone, MCC uses the tried-and-true resistor pack inside the airbox and has 4 selectable speeds. ACC uses an electronic module and has over a dozen speeds, controlled by PWM rather than resistive voltage changes.

I've had it my mind for several years now to modify the heat output by using an Arduino, but I've never done anything more than think about it. Who knows, it may become a project someday, at which time I'll share it with pics and a write-up. As of now, it's never been done AFAIK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh! I have something to contribute here! I'm currently converting my 2LT to an LTZ interior at the moment, and just installed the seats this week. Since the LS doesn't have motorized seats, you will need to wire a power and a ground to both seats. Other than that, the harnesses are identical between the different trims. 2011 they switched over to the 4 pin airbags, so that and 2012 are good for you. That being said, the installation will essentially be plug and play once you get those seats out. You'll just need to wire up the seats to the fuse box which should be pretty straight forward once those seats are out. Good luck with the project! As someone doing the same thing, feel free to ask any questions, and I'll try to answer them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts