Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How concerned should I be about this noise I hear on some cold starts? It sounds really bad... Only 69k miles.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,874 Posts
Completely normal.

The way it has been explained to me in the past is that that sound can be from 2 different sources: The VVT cam phasers or the transmission.

The cam phasers have a little pin to limit the amount of movement. When it's cold, the oil has drained and it gets loose upon start-up, slapping back and forth until oil gets there.

The transmission has a small reservoir with a small hole in it that allows it to drain when the engine is off. Upon start-up, it makes the sound until it fills with trans fluid.

Of the two, I tend to believe the cam phaser. My 3.6L makes more noise for longer, which is kinda odd since it was replaced only 55K miles ago (at 94K), but the trans has all 149K miles on it that are on the odo.

So, you decide, but it's normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely normal.

The way it has been explained to me in the past is that that sound can be from 2 different sources: The VVT cam phasers or the transmission.

The cam phasers have a little pin to limit the amount of movement. When it's cold, the oil has drained and it gets loose upon start-up, slapping back and forth until oil gets there.

The transmission has a small reservoir with a small hole in it that allows it to drain when the engine is off. Upon start-up, it makes the sound until it fills with trans fluid.

Of the two, I tend to believe the cam phaser. My 3.6L makes more noise for longer, which is kinda odd since it was replaced only 55K miles ago (at 94K), but the trans has all 149K miles on it that are on the odo.

So, you decide, but it's normal.
Okay, thank you. Reassuring to know it isn't a signal of something that bad. When you replaced the cam phasers, I'm assuming it fixed the noise/lessened it?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,874 Posts
I didn't replace just the cam phasers. At 94,ooo miles, my engine grenaded and was replaced under Power Train warranty. I assume that the heads were also replaced.

My car makes a louder sound for longer than what I heard on your video.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts