Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having this issue for quite some time now.. I recently just got done replacing my front hub bearings with MOOG parts along with new brakes etc... Even before then i had this issue but i thought this might resolve it... When i drive sometimes this just randomly pops up but if i turn the car off and back on, then the warning light goes away..

This happens very randomly and i cannot figure out why. I looked all over the threads and i am not having any issues with my brake lights being on or along those lines that many people have faced but this is just a random service ESC/traction OFF.. comes on randomly and then will go off once the car is restarted, then it wont do it for days and then it'll happen again.. I did notice it happens sometimes more when making a turn also.. not sure if thats correlated but any idea on what to fix/look at? Front suspension parts are pretty much brand new...

Thank you

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
We need to know if you have the 2.4L or the 3.6L, since the 4-banger has EPS and the V6 has hydraulic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We need to know if you have the 2.4L or the 3.6L, since the 4-banger has EPS and the V6 has hydraulic.
Forgot to mention... i have the exact same car as you ;)

2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel
purchased at 99K miles, currently 147K.. tons of maintenance done

Thought i'd share a pic!

·
Administrator
18,490 Posts
Almost exactly the same car! Mine has the 10-spoke chromed alloy wheels, plus I painted my grille a brighter red than the body. I also have headlight housings with the black inside and really like the look.

Mine gives me the Service ESC/ESC Off message almost every time I drive it. I replaced both front hubs, but that wasn't it. My best guess right now is that it's the SAS - steering angle sensor. I haven't priced the repair, but it sure would be nice to have that message go away!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Need a full spectrum code scan to see what's going on. That's the first step on today's cars. Can't even begin to guess without doing that with the myriad of interconnected systems and generic dash messages.
SAS will set a code in memory, my '09 did when it went bad and SAS is in there with or without electric steering as I had to put one in my Tahoe also.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '08 2.4 LTZ did that same thing for the last couple years I had it (up to 157k). I noticed that it seemed to do it more often on long trips when it was hot, but that may have just been coincidence. Heard that it was related to the cruise control/brake light issue, but mine didn't have that issue and it still happened before and after the recall repair related to the brake lights. Stumped me.

I ended up "totaling it out" for a Colorado about a year ago before I was able to figure it out. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gentlemen, I have been a member of the forum since 2018 and have been a silent observer of everyone's posts. I have a 2010 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6L V6 (Jewel tint coat with cocoa/ cashmere int.)
and last year my wife had a similar problem with the car. It set off the ESC and Traction Control lights and the car went into limp home mode. After getting home I shut the car off and restarted and the dash lights cleared except for a CEL and a code for the steering positioner sensor. After some investigation I found that a sunroof drain had become disconnected and the water was draining down the windshield pillar and flooding the connector that connects the interior harness to the engine bay. I dried the connection with an air hose and applied dielectric silicone and the problem has not been repeated. If your car has a sunroof, I wonder if this could be the same problem.

·
Administrator
18,490 Posts
I've had that message happen on several different days, several years apart, when the weather was over 90F and cooled to just over 70F when a cold front came through. There was a lot of rain, too.

The very first time it happened, I started the car and the message popped up. It took nearly the whole 11 miles home before my V6 started running like a V6 and not a 3-cylinder engine. The next morning, everything was back to normal.

Another time, it was again after work that it happened, only that time it took fewer miles before it corrected itself.

I believe that the moisture in the atmosphere when it was hot had to condense on something, and the connectors took the brunt of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had that message happen on several different days, several years apart, when the weather was over 90F and cooled to just over 70F when a cold front came through. There was a lot of rain, too.

The very first time it happened, I started the car and the message popped up. It took nearly the whole 11 miles home before my V6 started running like a V6 and not a 3-cylinder engine. The next morning, everything was back to normal.

Another time, it was again after work that it happened, only that time it took fewer miles before it corrected itself.

I believe that the moisture in the atmosphere when it was hot had to condense on something, and the connectors took the brunt of it.
YouTube has several posts about the sunroof drain issue on several different models of GM products, but none of them address the electrical issues that the leak may cause, just the wet headliner or carpet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts