Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. My 2011 Malibu has 160k but has only had minor issues. Every time I think it’s fixed, this happens again. I have narrowed it down to specific conditions.
Outdoor temp has to be close to 80° or hotter. More likely to happen when A/C is running.
When car is stopped or barely moving, reduced engine power, shaking and stall.
Will start right up again after about 1 1/2 hours. (assuming after engine has cooled down)
Throws P1682 code, Ignition 1 Circuit 2.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Replace the powertrain relay. Look for heat damaged prongs on the old relay and if so fuse block may need a good inspection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the powertrain relay. Look for heat damaged prongs on the old relay and if so fuse block may need a good inspection.
I’ll put in a new relay today and let you know. We did pull out the fuse block and inspect for anything looking amiss or burnt to no avail. Every fuse I pulled looked great too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I will have to order the relays.
I did see that all the prongs on fuse junction block in engine compartment are clean. However, prongs on majority of fuses in internal and trunk fuse junction blocks are brown even they test good. Is that an indicator of anything?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So ran the car in driveway with no issue for 35 minutes today with outdoor temp of 80°.
Turned on the A/C and instant vibration and variance in rpms. Turned the a/c off, stayed a little shaky. Turned a/c back on and it tripped the reduced power & crazy shaking.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Has the throttle body been cleaned ? That could be one of your issues. Bad compressor could be a issue also but you did have a code set.
Fretting corrosion is a issue in this gen. of cars, read the sticky on it and use a electrical contact cleaner/protectant on all your module connectors.

P1682 CHEVROLET Meaning
There are 2 ignition 1 voltage circuits supplied to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The first ignition circuit is provided by the powertrain relay, through a fuse. This ignition 1 voltage circuit supplies power to all the internal ECM circuits associated with the throttle actuator control (TAC) operation. The second ignition 1 voltage circuit is supplied by the run/crank relay through a fuse, and is used to power the remaining internal ECM circuits. If the ECM detects a voltage difference between the 2 ignition 1 voltage circuits, DTC P1682 will set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I’d didn’t include in my op- 2011 2.4 gas
Have not cleaned throttle body. We tried swapping relays in the engine compartment box and could not get problem to jump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes and no. The problem I had first noticed after the first time it died on me (on the freeway) was that it was running extremely rough when in gear at a stop. In park less rough and when moving barely a vibration.
I took to be diagnosed and he found a voltage drop that pointed at the engine compartment fuse junction box. For now, it is no longer dying. Drove it in high 80°s with a/c and it did not die.
I’ve driven it about 60 miles since I got it back and although it’s not dying, it still has that rough idle when in gear. Ugh 😩 I just want to drive my car and not worry about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a shop replace the fuse box in the engine compartment. It no longer dies on me but the vibration is still there. So frustrating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts