Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed today when I accelerated harder than usual. Usually don't but car was closer than I thought. rpms where around 3000 rpm and then it shoots up a couple hundred and then drops down after that it shifts. The car shifts fine though. Just has worried. 2011 malibu 2.4 with 6 speed automatic transmission. I might be over thinking it. Don't the newer cars have adaptive throttle that adjusts to how you drive usually?
I have a video I took on a road with just me

I was able to replicate it couple times and finally got the video. The car shifts fine though. It doesn't feel like it's not normal. I just hope I don't need a transmission in the near future. Just got the car and have a payment now... 119 thousand miles on it.

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,655 Posts
You're getting a slight rpm flare between gears because throttle is still applied for a fraction of a second during shifts, not sure what causes it. My old V6/6-speed auto used to do that occasionally as well, it worried me at first but for the remaining few years before I sold the car it never amounted to anything.

Have your transmission serviced (if you never have before) and don't worry about it.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,153 Posts
Your duplicate thread was deleted...

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is a shift flare and does it cause damage to transmission? My 2011 malibu 2.4 liter 6 speed automatic transmission did it yesterday when I drove not normally. 119 thousand miles on car. Car was closer than I thought and had to get up to speed. I call it diving like a pissed off teenager. Excuse my language.i was able to replicate it couple times. Didn't do it every time.

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,655 Posts
I just combined your newest thread about the same exact topic/issue with this one. Stop posting new threads about this topic, continue the conversation here.

To my knowledge, the minor shift flare you're experiencing is not a big deal. It's basically the gear disengaging a hair before the throttle and allowing the engine to rev in neutral very briefly. We are not GM employees and we are not professional auto mechanics. Take your car to a shop and show a technician the video.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I pulled into apartment coming from work that's twenty minutes away. Have speed bumps throughout. Had jerky one to two shift after each speed bump to slow down for. Happened twice in the last 4 days. But I shut car off for a little bit and leave, smooth as ever. Thoughts?

2011 malibu 2.4 liter flex fuel 6 speed automatic transmission.

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Basics first, trans fluid level OK ? Fluid condition as last time changed. Next would be a scan for trans. related codes to see if any have been set.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Was changed in September. Dark but not burnt. No check engine light on. Think it's the adaptive transmission? Sometimes I have to drive more aggressively when I get close to home sometimes. People always on my ass. Like the car thinks I'm gonna be driving like that all the time

The second time it did it I disconnected the battery terminals the day before to clean. Getting a little corrosion on the negative terminal.

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,655 Posts
It could absolutely be the adaptive transmission. If you just disconnected the battery, then give the car some miles and see if it sorts itself out.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only been around 150 miles and did it again. I don't get it. Only at apartment between speed bumps. When I leave in the morning. I can feel the car shift one to 2 but it's not jerky. Night if it does can feel it more but I think I need to give it more time to adjust.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.