Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son just got 2011 Malibu 1LS with 4 cyl. Ecotec VVT. Car was basically free, but needs repairs. One issue is possible cracked exhaust manifold. Per videos I know that to check, need to remove heat shield. All videos however do not show a component that exists on our car. I'm not sure what it is and before I just remove, I want to be certain what it is first. It is mounted to the exhaust side of the block on a black bar rail that eminates from backside of block. It is sitting just above the heat shield (blocking access to bolts of shield). It has an electronic connection to black component and a metal tube (Aluminum? Or steel?) about 3/4" diam. that wraps around driver side of block and goes to other components at the front of engine below intake manifold. I thought maybe a cooling line for the oil in the top of
head?
It's the part back behind the spark plugs. Can anyone kindly indicate what this item is and does?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,378 Posts
The part back behind the coil packs/spark plugs is the check valve for the secondary air injection pump (the actual pump is in the front by the starter). It has a pressure sensor electrical connector that attaches. Part 2142150 or 12623091.

I could be wrong, but I'm 90% confident.. perhaps another forum member will confirm.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Been awhile since I sold mine but yes alldata says it's the secondary air injection assy. . Only on California spec. emissions cars.
I drove my '09 with a cracked exhaust manifold 190k miles and sold it running fine. No real noticeable sound from mine.

·
Registered
09 Malibu, 2.4L Engine, 6T40 Transmission, LT Package - Retired Fleet Vehicle
50 Posts
The part back behind the coil packs/spark plugs is the check valve for the secondary air injection pump (the actual pump is in the front by the starter). It has a pressure sensor electrical connector that attaches. Part 2142150 or 12623091.

I could be wrong, but I'm 90% confident.. perhaps another forum member will confirm.
I was thinking it may be an EGR component. and this appears to confirm that belief. SMog pump: Cali Emission required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts